“Gateway restaurant and bar”
Review of Coastal Kitchen

Coastal Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Coastal Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Marina Dr and Fj Torras Cswy
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Just as you finish the Torres Causeway into St. Simons, you will pass a marina on the right with boats stacked up. Inside the parking lot is the Coastal Kitchen. It is clearly a favorite with locals who came mostly for, as our waiter put it, "drinking away the week." I met a group of friends and ordered a light dinner. While the crabcake was tasty, it was just one small crabcake. The crab bisque was truly tasteless. My waiter did keep my ginger ale (not a drinker) constantly refreshed. Waiters were very attentive to everyone and skilled at dealing with mildly drunk people who thought they were clever. Overall--like a lot of things on St. Simons, it is over-priced and underwhelming.

1  Thank Michael M

Reviewed September 21, 2013

When we went, I wasn't really all that hungry; I just thought I would get a drink and a little light bite. But when I saw the menu, I had to order the grits, a crabcake, and a salad. I have eaten a lot of all of these, but these were by far the best I've ever had. The only aspect that was lacking was the service; the bartender seemed to be a stand-in for the regular bartender and didn't make very good drinks or be aware that we might want seconds, and our waitress seemed to just want to go home (which could have been the case--maybe she didn't feel well), but we would have liked to see a dessert menu. I cannot wait to go back!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

In the past we have found most marina restaurants to be rather basic with a few special dishes. That is why the Coastal Kitchen was such a nice surprise. We were seated at an outside table on a covered porch. We were close enough to the water to watch the wildlife and an unknown animal swimming through the boats. Very interesting. the service was fantastic, the wine list extensive, but not so much that it made choosing difficult. The wine was cool and crisp and the perfect choice for my black grouper. My hubby choose the steak burger and was not disappointed. Be sure to save room for desert. The choices are nice and very special. I wish I could have had a taste of each one, especially the hand made ice cream.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Upon Trip Adviser recommendation, we made reservations here, and are so happy we did. We arrived Friday night at 7pm, and were seated outside, per our preference, on a beautiful corner table over looking the marina. We started with arugula salad with goat cheese fritters which were AMAZING...my husband had the blackened redfish with Cajun sausage and jack and cheddar grits, and I had the black grouper with corn grits. We kept passing out plates back and forth to each other trying to decide which we liked the best. We couldn't decide, as they were both wonderful. There was also a very nice wine list of wines by the glass to choose from. The live music started later than advertised, and although not the best voices we have ever heard, it made for a very, very enjoyable evening...

jeff m, Owner at Coastal Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Glad you enjoyed your experience at Coastal Kitchen. The redfish is hands down my favorite dish as well!! If ever things are not perfect please do not hesitate to let me know.. Thanks again for your patronage and we hope to see you again soon...Jeff

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Booked by friends for a group of six of us, the setting of this place was wonderful. Seated alongside the marsh, it was peaceful and quaint. Drinks are expensive though, both beer and wine. Food was generally good with adequate portions and quality. But you pay for it - $8 for a salad and $13 for Nachos. Service from Cameron was excellent, but he could not control the slowness of the preparation of our orders. Disappointing.

2  Thank bristolpj
jeff m, Owner at Coastal Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

I am glad you enjoyed Coastal Kitchen and appreciate your constructive review. Cameron will be receiving a $20 bonus because you mentioned him by name. I am concerned that you feel like our prices are to high. The $13 nachos you mentioned are Lobster Nachos hence the higher price.