“It's an annual 'must-do'”

Coastal Kitchen and Raw Bar
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Marina Dr and Fj Torras Cswy
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We plan an annual girls trip to St Simons every year. One of the first things we do is make our reservation for Coastal Kitchen. The staff is always very friendly and accommodating ... and I can't imagine waiting on 10 girls who've already enjoyed a few cocktails is a lot of fun ;) The food is consistently great and any issues are immediately handled. The owner, Jeff, has a phenomenal attitude and always makes us feel welcomed. Highly recommend! Can't wait to go back

jeff m, Owner at Coastal Kitchen and Raw Bar, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Ashley,

Thanks for the kind words!!! see you soon.....

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We visited Coastal Kitchen for lunch. Service was very good, veiw of the marina nice. We had fried shrimp, a cup of gumbo and a ham and brie on croissant. The fried shrimp were very good and the cole slaw was excellent - a sweet and sour type cole slaw. I mention this because the person that got it with their shrimp doesn't normally like slaw and they liked this! The gumbo was okay, not great. Unfortunately with the ham and brie, they GRILLED the croissant! Not sure why, maybe this sounded like a good idea but take my word for it, it wasn't. What happens when a croissant is grilled? - it becomes a very greasy (from the heated butter in it) mess that tastes burnt! All in all an okay meal but not great.

2  Thank SouthernGal820
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We enjoyed this restaurant. It is located at the marina and had a great view of the waterways. The restaurant has an easy and comfortable décor with linen tablecloths and cheesecloth curtains which add a hint of being in a cottage on the water. Don't let the linen on the tables scare you - there were a mixture of attired people eating. Casual and a little more dressy. My husband had the fish and chips - fresh battered fish that was very moist and tender. I chose the crab cake sandwich - very good. We selected the calamari for an appetizer - excellent! Perfect choice for a lazy later afternoon lunch!

So glad you enjoyed your lunch!!! hope to see you again soon

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Started out with a blackberry julep that ended up being the best part of my meal. This being Georgia, I was really excited about ordering the fried green tomatoes appetizer. When I read the menu I saw "honey" sauce, and expected they'd come in some divine tupelo sweetness, but I'd neglected to note the word "Dijon" and instead they came drenched in a sour deli mustard reduction. WHY?! I figured it was my fault and remained optimistic that the entree on the menu that had me drooling, the red fish, would still arrive and be so gloriously good that I'd forget all about the high expectations I'd had for the tomatoes. I knew I'd been a fool to hope when my fish arrived on a bed of COLD crawfish and andouille sausage. The fish was still good, despite having absolutely no sauce, and it also came with some white cheddar grits that were tasty, but I couldn't get past the fact that my side was not even lukewarm, but actually cold, as if recently unfrozen. Another in our party was talked into ordering chicken, which is pretty much always disappointing at a seafood restaurant. I can't suggest writing this place off completely, however, because the final entree in our group was the scallops with the butternut squash mash and the orderer was nice enough to share. Well, I'm sad to say that this was a classic, "Why didn't I order that???" moment because it was really freaking good and so I suggest that if you're headed to this restaurant, maybe order that and only that...

3  Thank keh04g
jeff m, Owner at Coastal Kitchen and Raw Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

I would like to apologize for your experience at my restaurant. I am not sure how the sides for the redfish came out cold but have mentioned it to the chef and we will use it as a learning experience. Thanks for the compliments on the Shrimp and Scallops!! I do appreciate constructive criticism it only helps us grow.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

This place is located near a Marina. Very nice inside and out. I called ahead and made reservations thinking that would secure us a place outside under the cover but once I got there the hostess said since I did not request outdoor seating there was none available under the cover patio area but seated outside toward the end (uncovered). Since it was Friday night there was a band setting up and we were sat right beside them which Iw as not looking forward to being so close to the music but decided we'd stick it out to sit outside. We were probably there 15 mins when it started to sprinkle so we asked our server to move us indoors which she did right away. Our server (can't remember her name) but was very friendly and accommodated us. Inside was a bit noisy but it has a bar setting and what else is expected around the bar so it didn't bother us to much. We did dine with 2 kids and when moved inside the tables were covered with butcher paper which meant a HUGE coloring book to the kids. They liked that. I would suggest the Server write a message on it or draw a funny pics when she comes to table and greets the family. Kids would love that and would know that it's ok to draw on the butcher paper. I ordered the Lobster & Crab ravoli's and they were good, but there was something I didn't like about them (just me but I still ate them) but was unsure what the taste was but the sauce was very good they used on them. My husband ordered the Paella and he said it tasted good but wished it had a bit more seasoning. (We had in the Dominican and he thought it would be close to the same taste) but we know everyone fixes this dish a little different. This place had chicken in theirs which hubby did like about it. So again it was good. We really enjoyed trying a new place as we love visiting places Ma and Pa type places or not chain related restaurants when on vacation. Overall we enjoyed our dinner and had a great family dinner together despite the weather and moving us inside.

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. I am glad you enjoyed your experience at Coastal Kitchen. Sorry about the rain but it happens every day in Southeast Georgia. I am sorry about the mixup with the covered seating as well e do our best to accommodate everyone exactly where they want ot be seated but sometimes it doesn't always work out. Hope you had a nice vacation and we mom and pop operations appreciate your support.