“Upscale bistro with classic waterside feel”

Coastal Kitchen and Raw Bar
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Marina Dr and Fj Torras Cswy
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Tucked in the marina just before you reach the island, Coastal Kitchen nicely balances an upscale bistro with the classic waterside raw bar. We attended during brunch and enjoyed a predictable selection of brunch items that were all nicely done at a reasonable price. Other reviews suggest concerns with service. During our visit, it was 'all hands on deck' with no less than four people serving us at various times. Next time, I will definitely get a table outside, have a cocktail, and enjoy some peel and eat shrimp while enjoying the waterside view. I may stay for dinner.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

My Mom and I arrived pretty late by lunch standards (2:15 ish). When we walked in a guy hopped up from the bar where he was chatting with two women so I'm not sure if he was a manager or host or what. Anyway, we opted to sit outside so we could have a nice view of the boat docked at the marina. We were greeted quickly by the waitress. She brought our drinks and made some recommendations. We ordered the crab cake salad and shrimp quesadilla. The crab cake salad was not what I was expecting, buy that's not necessarily a bad thing. It was served on a long rectangular plate with two crab cakes on one end of the plate and a small dressed salad on the other end of the plate. I guess I expected a little more salad for $13. It was good though, crab cakes were moist and not too much bread filling. I liked the shrimp quesadilla more than the salad. It was served with sour cream, guacamole, and pico de gallo. Four large wedges. My Mom was drinking tea and the waitress mentioned she would be back with a refill but dash owed back up after we were finished with our meal about 5 or so minutes. I guess she was busy inside?
I'm glad I went for lunch instead of dinner. I would probably go back for pre-dinner drinks on the patio if I go again.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have eaten here many times, and for the most part, it's been excellent. But on my visit with my wife on 4-5-13, we arrived very early around 4:30 pm. The dining room was almost empty, with just one other table with guests in our section. Our server was a male who did not display much personality at all. He took our drink orders and they came out right away. Then about 10 minutes later, our appetizer arrived. It was another 20 minutes after this that our entrees arrived, and for this whole time, we never saw our server. We both needed drink refills when the appetizer came, but no one was around. Finally, a bus girl from the kitchen saw our enpty glasses and got us a refill. Our entrees arrived from another male server, and mine was completely wrong. I ordered the Blackened Red Fish, but instead got the Special, a ravioli dish. When it went back into the kitchen, our original waiter came back and apologized and said the Red Fish would be coming out soon. After 10 minutes, it still had not come out, and the waiter brought out a cup of tomato bisque for me while I waited. This was at least a gesture, but I don't like tomato soup, so it sat on the table undisturbed. When my Red Fish finally came out, it was hurriedly thrown onto the plate and didn't have the almond butter that it advertised. My wife's entree of Stuffed Flounder was supposed to come with crab meat on top, but did not. After this, no one came by and offered us any kind of comp, and we couldn't even get another refill on our iced tea. I noticed that most of the servers here are young men and most of them walk around like zombies, making it obvious they don't want to be here. My suggestion to this place is to hire more waitresses, who always seem to do a better job than the waiters. I left a 10% tip, which was overly generous. But, we won't be coming back here for a LONG time.

4  Thank Cjones797
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The staff was friendly. However, the service was SLOW. Unfortunately the majority of our food was over cooked. Of the three dinners, only my husband's grouper was good. The positive aspect is the view and the location. Beautiful view during sunset. However, even with the view, we will not be returning to this restaurant.

2  Thank Sklee3
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Had some concerns based on the reviews here...but we decided to go regardless and the Coastal Kitchen did not dissapoint. I had the scallops and shrimp with an amazingly delicious combination of squash and other vegetables....it was so good. Husband had red snapper and it tasted as good and as fresh as when he personally caught red snapper in Alaska. Highly recommend. Get a table outside or at the window, because the view is almost as good as the food. Don't miss this place.