“Good Smoke!”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed August 1, 2014

OK, I'm a little spoiled-I live 25 minutes from the best BBQ on the planet (Ridgewood BBQ, Elizabethton, TN)...However, I think Southern Soul is a great choice on St. Simon's Island. Southern Soul has been featured several times in Southern Living and Garden and Gun Magazines. It's a great alternative to the froufrou Sea Island. They were absolutely packed, so go early.

The smokey flavor is excellent. The sauce was a little sweet for my taste but still was very good. This place is a southern icon so do yourself a favor by stopping in for a platter1

There are newer reviews for Southern Soul Barbeque

Reviewed August 1, 2014

I spend spend a good amount of time in Texas with my work, I've tried a lot of BBQ. Southern Soul is ok. It is NOT baby back ribs. We ordered 4 whole slabs of ribs to go, they were not whole slabs, they were all cut up, why I do not know. Their sauces were ok,they had 4 different kinds we tried them all. Everyone there was nice and friendly, I would make it a backup dinner, definitely Togo, very limited seating mostly outside. Hope this helps.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

I ate there with my family on a Sunday night. The BBQ was really good, but it was pricey. My burnt tips sandwich was $7! That's with no drinks or sides. We also ordered a pulled pork sandwich, a burger, fries, mac/cheese, and hushpuppies. Our bill was almost $35 for 3 people! Again, the BBQ was good, but the sides were average at best. The atmosphere is what it is...a southern BBQ joint. I have no complaints about that because I grew up knowing places like this are usually hidden gems. This is no exception for BBQ.

1  Thank catadair
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Four cookers outside cranking out BBQ. If people are looking for a nice sit-down joint--skip. Most tables are outside and as you know, St. Simons is very hot in the summer. BBQ is very good--best you will find within a couple of hundred miles. Ribs are some of the best I have had and what I recommend. Real iced tea. You get full fast. Working man special BBQ sandwich, fries and drink is a deal before 3p. Locals everywhere. In Gun and Garden for a reason.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

There were lines of folks waiting and it was nearly 2:00 in the afternoon when we were there. We both had very generous portions. The burnt ends sandwich and the pulled pork plate both proved to be worth the wait.