“Juicy and Tender”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed May 9, 2014

My husband and I ate here for lunch after a tour guide recommending it. We found the "Burnt ends" to be tender and juicy and the choice is sauces should keep everyone happy. The fried okra was just so-so, the BBQ beans were good and the Brunswick Stew was the best I ever had.

There are newer reviews for Southern Soul Barbeque

Reviewed May 9, 2014

I just read the previous review and was wondering if we were in the same place. Yes, this is a less than high hat kind of restaurant but I sure don't remember a walk up window (2 days ago). The place is busy but you goo inside to order and when your food is ready they bring it to you. Some inside seating but most seats are outside. Getting over the "casual" atmosphere I have to say that this is one of the best BBQ restaurants that have been to. The ribs were amazing. So much so that we didn't have to use any of their sauces (which were also good - we had to sample them anyway). Brisket was the best I ever ate but I still liked the ribs more.

I am not a big fan of Lima beans but the Brunswick stew was meaty and flavorful and the Mac n cheese was just right. It's a five hour trip from home but we will return.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

After reading the reviews and hearing this is a DDD spot, I had to try this place while on the Island. I had the Burned ends and smoked Turkey platter with baked beans and Brunswick stew. The B-B-Q was good, but have had better. The sides were adequate and tasteful but not earth shattering. The outside seating allowed us to watch the food being prepared which was interesting. We did have a difficult time finding a place to park since the spot in on a round-a-bout that is the busiest intersection on the Island. Like many places that we hit on this trip, I would try this place again but would most likely order something different to see if I could find the magic. All of my dining companions had the smoked chicken salad, which they all thought was very good. Service is hard to judge because you order at a window and they bring it to your table. They are extremely busy so we had to do for ourselves on some issues like to go boxes. Can't judge it against the other B-B-q's on Island as this is the only one we hit.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Great BBQ and atmosphere. This is a must for anyone who appreciated smoked meat. Some of the best brisket anywhere.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Fun place to eat with extended family….we had two long picnic tables and there was a lot of sharing of food. Okra, ribs, brisket and beans were first rate….even by the standards of the foodies in our group! I am a BBQ fan and Southern Soul is right up there with Pappy's in STL and Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse.
The only problem with Southern Soul? It's located on a busy corner on St Simons…and it's seemingly hard to go anywhere on the island without passing Southern Soul….and it smells so good!! It takes a lot of will power to drive past!