“Very good shrimp”

Iguanas Seafood Restaurant
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I love Georgia wild shrimp and Iguanas claim they get theirs right off the boat so I had to try the restaurant. Iguanas was clean and the wait staff were excellent. We both ordered sweet tea but it was too sweet to drink it! Never had tea so sweet. We shared the shrimp appetizer which had coconut, buffalo, and fried shrimp and we ordered a side of fries. I asked the waitress before we ordered if all the shrimp they serve are fresh, wild caught shrimp. She informed me all the shrimp regardless of how they are prepared are fresh, local shrimp. I might be wrong but I am almost certain the coconut shrimp were frozen. Otherwise the buffalo and fried shrimp were excellent as were the fries. Iguanas offers free ice cream which I found unusual for a seafood restaurant but it was really good. Overall the restaurant was great and I would recommend it to shrimp lovers.

1  Thank SBDFAN
There are newer reviews for Iguanas Seafood Restaurant

Reviewed June 13, 2014

Iguana's truly does have the best shrimp on SSI and possibly even in Georgia! The fried shrimp dinner is HUGE and worth it, and the buffalo shrimp are to die for, everything is amazing. The servers are so nice….AND there's free ice cream so how can you say no?? Don't miss out on eating here!

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I had high hopes of enjoying shrimp while visiting St. Simons Island. It was recommended that we go to Iguanas Restaurant. Our shrimp was served, and before I even placed the first shrimp in my mouth, I could tell the shrimp were over cooked. That was not the worst part! The shrimp were not fresh and already begun to have a rank taste! We notified the server of the issue, and immediately the manager came over to apologize. He said that his restaurant receives fresh shrimp daily and offered to bring us another order to which we said "No, thank you!" However, he was gracious enough to pay for the balance of our entire bill. I was willing to pay for the appetizers and drinks we had consumed, but the server said everything had been taken care of. I do appreciate the management wanting to rectify the situation, but I won't return.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

My wife and I just had dinner at Iguana's and the food was superb. We had shrimp cocktails and broiled grouper. Both were very fresh. And our waiter, Abby, was friendly and efficient. We plan to return before the end of our vacation.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

They are not shy about announcing that they have the best fried shrimp on the island, and I whole heartedly agree. It was amazing. Not a fancy, shmancy restaurant, and not a dive, but somewhere in between. Just great food, and very pleasant and helpful wait staff.