“Good food”

The 4th of May Cafe
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: We are a family friendly restaurant featuring fresh seafood and Southern local fare. We serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. The 4th of May is located in the Pier village area only 3 blocks from the beach. We have pet friendly outdoor seating and take-out is available. Our indoor seating is cool and casual. Stop in for a fresh homemade dessert and don't forget to say hi to Aunt Helen!!
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We had lunch on a Sunday about the time church gets out so it was very crowded and the wait was very long. However, the food is all homeade and it was excellent. The service was good too. It is worth the wait if you are not in a hurry.

There are newer reviews for The 4th of May Cafe

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We like this relaxed casual cafe in St. Simons Island's downtown. The food is good and the service is friendly. We especially enjoy brunch - the butter pecan French toast is decadent (but we made it healthier with whole wheat toast) and the eggs Benedict is wonderful. Desserts are really great, but beware the giant cake servings - only order one! In warm weather, the sidewalk tables are nice but we were inside on this winter trip.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

This place is noisy; dirty and rushed! while some of the food may be good? the atmosphere has a whole lot to be desired.....lots of confussion within the place!

1  Thank kingslane
THOMAS P, Owner at The 4th of May Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

I would like to apologize on behalf of my staff and myself for the unacceptable experience you had at my restaurant. There is no excuse I can give or should give regarding the cleanliness and non-appealing atmosphere. We have been in this location for almost 20 years and we will continue to maintain the top quality product our guests have always expected. Reviews like yours help us keep on top of our game. I will meet with my managers and staff and read them your comments. Hopefully you will visit us again and let us know if you see any improvements I am going to expect from my employees. Thank you for dining with us and look forward to another opportunity to impress you.

Tommy Packard

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Brunch was great. There were 3 of us, we all ordered different items from the menu and everyone enjoyed it. The staff was very friendly and attentive. Felt like they enjoyed working with each other.

THOMAS P, Owner at The 4th of May Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for the good review. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. Most of our staff has been here for a while and enjoy working with each other. I don't have much turn over which I think is so important to a restaurant like ours because we have so many returning customers and regulars from our area. The waitstaff build relationships with their regulars and try to make our first time visitors feel like regulars. I would like to thank you once more for dining with us and hope you will return soon.

Tom Packard

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Weak coffee again. The young staff were inattentive and chatting at the back counter, with their backs towards us. We practically had to jump up and down to get our waiter to come take our order. Will look for another breakfast spot next visit!

THOMAS P, Owner at The 4th of May Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

I want to begin by apologizing for the bad experience you had at my restaurant. I take each review very seriously and want to give you an update on what measures I have taken to insure no one else has this happen to them. We grind our own coffee beans before brewing, so I had the grinder re-calibrated to give us a little stronger brew. I had this done because you were not the only person to complain about the coffee. The other problem you mentioned prompted me to institute a new policy with our waitstaff. They must stand facing the dining room near the front when they are not helping a guest. This allows them to greet customers as they enter and gives them a better view of the dining room. I also hired some new staff and told them that being attentive to guest's needs was the basic rule of waiting tables. The remaining older staff members got the message when they noticed some of their fellow employees missing. I hope you can forgive us and want you to know I will make every effort to keep our standards high and please join us again on your next trip to St. Simons.

Tom Packard