New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Shipwatch
Georgia
“Very friendly atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Family setting. Walk from boardwalk to beach is fine. Clean and comfortable for the four of us. Linens were clean, but blankets were older in our room. The manager was very helpful and accommodating. Easy bike ride to Ocean Motion and Crab Shack.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the beach are more reasonably priced.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Evans, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Great 2BR, 2BA condos on the beach. Some are more updated than others, but you choose which one you want to rent. There are plenty of photos of each unit. It's a quiet condo complex of mostly families with young kids visiting the beach.

Room Tip: Check photos on their site.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank fenn138
Tennille,GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Our families stayed in 202, 206, and 301. If you are looking for a reasonably priced place to stay at St. Simons that is oceanfront with easy beach access Shipwatch is the place to go. All the other people staying there seemed to be laid back. The pool is nice it wasnt over crowded. There is a nice BBQ area near the pool with picnic area. The boardwalk to the beach was great day or night. At nighttime its lit the whole way. My grandmother was able to access the beach from the boardwalk she has a bad knee and there was a wooded bench area at the end she could sit on to relax and listen to the ocean. Ashley at the condo office was super nice and friendly to everyone in our party. 202 could use some decor upgrades they were kinda outdated. 206 was super nice, updated decor bright and colorful, comfortable bedding, and t.v. in both bedrooms and living area, swing on the balcony with a nice glass patio table and a celing fan. It also had alot of useful utensils in the kitchen. It was very welcoming. We had to move to 301 which is an oceanfront condo. It was nice as well but the beds werent as comfy, didnt have a tv in the room with twin beds but it was still very nice. They have an elevator, the grounds are clean and cute. Parking is first come first serve be careful for the garage if you have a large vehicle. Its a gated complex and thats nice we felt very safe. There is also gated beach access which the kids thought was so cool the big wooden door to the beach :) We all really enjoyed our stay! We will definitely go back again. Check out the website to view all the condos. There are stores nearby, the pier is great, lots of fun stuff to do!

Room Tip: Go to the website and view the pics. There accurate.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank GA_mom2011
Melbourne, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

We had a wonderful Spring Break week at ShipWatch on St. Simons. Our condo unit was clean, roomy and comfortable with upgraded appliances and very good kitchen equipment.
We had two five year olds and a nine year old staying here, the DVD and flat screen TV worked great (for those rainy days) and when there was a problem with the cable, the maintenance man was there right away. We biked to the beach, the village and the cute
little areas surrounding the condo. Beds were comfy and we enjoyed the museum and the lighthouse tour as well as local eateries like Barbara Jeans and Bonefish. Can't tell you how much we loved this quaint little island. People were very friendly and helpful. We'll be back!!

Room Tip: ask for an upgraded condo. Rent bikes, see sights!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TheTastefulHoliday
Santa Monica, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Never again. We were stuck here because there are weddings, reunions and other events that have filled up the hotels we normally stay. My best advice is to stay fare away from any property managed by Hodnett Cooper. And there are many. It's a 4th rate company with the lowest of standards. The properties are worn and unclean. They are obviously hurting and cutting costs on maintenance. The owners of the actual units made bad invesments and are not keeping the decor current and fresh. It is useless to complain. It's like staying at an elderly aunt's place. It is most uncomfortable and detracts from the lovely island. I can't wait to get away.... I'm trying hard to find something nice to say, but I'm drawing a blank. We were not able to get a recommendation from anyone for a plan B. You can't trust the photos on the internet and description. No exageration. This is a perfect example of how bad accomodations can absolutely ruin a trip. It really is very stressful when you strike-out and have no recourse.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank RecessionaryMary
Hazlehurst Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

On the spur of the moment , while in St. Simons, I decided to spend a few nights on the beach. I contacted Beach Club first...(friends staying there)...prices were outrageous!!! My friend said she didn't pay the amt. I was quoted. I called same place she did... go figure? $936 for 2 nights in a 2 bdr unit. Ridiculous to me! I just wanted to get away a couple of nights..however, I did not want to spend a couple of pay checks to do it!

Next, contacted Hodnett Cooper rentals. They put me in touch with Ashley at Shipwatch. She is such a sweet person! She gave me keys to 3 available units. I looked at each unit prior to renting. All of the units looked nice and clean. I chose 2bdr 2 bath unit # 105 because the walk to the pool and beach was shorter. King size bed in master was a well kept and firm mattress. Both twin mattresses were firm also. Nice sleeper sofa in LR. Stacked washer & dryer in the unit also. Price was very reasonable....$199 nightly plus tax & $100 cleaning fee. I got my couple of nights away in a nice and comfortable condo without having to pay "an arm and a leg" for it. We enjoyed the atmosphere so much... we actually stayed a total of 5 nights! Sure! if you've got money to burn...then go all out! Stay at the King & Prince (had a friend there too..fussing about her dirty room she had to scrub when they arrived) or the Beach Club. Aside a few contemporary decorations in the rooms and maybe some updated bedding...I believe my stay was just as relaxing and nice as if I had stayed at one of the other places.

I would definitely stay at Shipwatch again. All 3 of the units I saw were very clean. The only complaint I would speak of... is the shortage of parking during busy holidays. People should limit # of vehicles on property per unit, because they take over others designated garage space. Also, it is difficult to park a full size SUV...I have a Yukon XL... in the garage.

• Liked — Reasonably priced for nice accomodations located on the beach.
  • Disliked — Parking garage too small.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank sureenuf
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

For the price it was great for myself, my sister, and two littles girls ages 9 & 10. Our Condo 204 was so bright and cheerful and all the extras we needed. Very clean and very nicely furnished. There was even a basket of wonderful large beach towels.
The only warning.......make sure you know the code to the beach access gate before you go through or you will be locked out.
The grounds were very well taken care of and the pool guy was out cleaning the pool every am.
The condo's are small but for the coast a very good deal.
I rented through Home Away Vacatons.
I do recommend this unit for sure.

• Liked — the nice decrations of the unit and the clean grounds
  • Disliked — small hard to park in garage
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
#2 of 9 in Saint Simons Island
4.5 of 5 stars 472 reviews
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#5 of 9 in Saint Simons Island
4.0 of 5 stars 463 reviews
Ocean Inn and Suites
Ocean Inn and Suites
#6 of 9 in Saint Simons Island
4.0 of 5 stars 285 reviews
The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort
The King and Prince Beach and Go...
#1 of 9 in Saint Simons Island
4.5 of 5 stars 1,080 reviews
The Sea Gate Inn
The Sea Gate Inn
#2 of 7 in Saint Simons Island
4.5 of 5 stars 143 reviews

Been to Shipwatch? Share your experiences!