“Smell” 3 of 5 stars

Ocean Inn and Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   599 Beachview Drive, Saint Simons Island, GA 31522   |
“Smell”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have stayed here many times and had a comfortable stay. The room I stayed in this time had a bathroom that smelled like old towels...I had already unpacked so I didn't ask to change rooms but ugh...

• Stayed April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Bob V, General Manager at Ocean Inn and Suites, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
My Hotel Manager informed me that you had reported the "smell" in the bathroom area today during checkout. She dispatched our maintenance foreman immediately to look into and solve the problem, but you had already checked out. If we had known that there was an issue earlier we would have gladly moved you to another room. You have stayed with us repeatedly for over 5 years and we thank you for your loyalty, but were surprised that you didn't appraise us of an issue that we could have easily rectified thus making your stay enjoyable and worry-free.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Port Orchard, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We paid nearly $200 for a fairly standard pool view room, which was described as a two room suite over the phone when we booked I guess it was two rooms if you count the bathroom! It was decorated nicely enough and the bed and pillows were very comfortable, but we've had much, much better for much less. There was a complimentary breakfast, but it wasn't much, just some cereal and bananas and toast. They didn't even have any real cream for the coffee, just powdered. We felt pretty ripped off by whole experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank LadyHousebuilder
I am very sorry that you didn't experience the "value"in your stay. Our rates are very competitive and we strive to stay at or below the competition within the same proximity. The suite that you occupied is among the top requested rooms that we have because of the spaciousness of the room along with the view of Neptune Park and wisps of the ocean 200 yd.s away. Our location in itself is a tremendous value in that you don't have to drive to experience the island, from it's restaurants, to the lighthouse, shopping, island tours, bicycling and more. We pride ourselves on a "fresh daily continental breakfast." We go above and beyond the true definition of continental breakfast serving oatmeal, breads, juice and fresh fruit. We hope that your travels in the future will bring you back to "the island".
Plymouth, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed one night with my sister for short visit. Staff was very accomodating and we got a great room with balcony overlooking the pool and ocean view very reasonably priced. It was still pretty cool outside while we were here so we were not able to use the pool but it looked clean and inviting. The beds were comfortable and the room/bathroom was clean and quiet. Good location in town to walk everywhere. The continental breakfast was standard fare but fresh and well stocked. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We loved the balcony room on 3rd floor. It was quiet and nice views to sit out and enjoy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lakeville, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Pros: close to everything, large room, quite
Cons: parking for anything larger than a sub compact forget, sheets and towels of poor quality and the fitted king sheets were to small and never stayed on the bed, breakfast was a joke and they ran out of everything in one hour, the decor is from the 60's and one chair in our room was ready to fall apart, the front desk personal knew less about the area than we did And were poor in arranging anything.

I would not stay here again but I would come back to st simon island again and find a different hotel or B and B

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ocala, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

What a great place to stay. Comfortable beds & pillows, clean room & bathroom, quiet area all made or a great stay for my husband & I. Took a shot staying here for two nights as I saw the place when I was on St. Simons the previous month for a girls get together & stayed at another hotel on the island. Wanted to stay here because my friend said we should check it out so we'd have another hotel to choose from & I wasn't disappointed. Love the wood floors & the marble bath, helped to make the place clean. Stayed on the third floor, with a step out balcony that faced the residential area, would be considered the back of hotel. The only thing with the room is that it had the dumpster below it, a beautiful, big tree was out our window so made a great room, but whenever there will be garbage pick-up there may be a noise problem. We had no occurance during our stay (mid-week) but it could be a factor. Wi-fi was a bit weak on the third floor, I was told they were having issues tht day, but we had a cable for our laptop and no problem fast connectivity. The breakfast is ok just cold cerals, instant oatmeal & some Sam's Club type pastries, bagels. One item that needs to be thought of, coffee & half & half.This is a downside as the hotel should really get a better brand of coffee and have half & half, those "little moos" or another brand, not having good coffee makes the morning a bit tough to get out & about. One item for guests to think about, hallway noise, with hardwood floors sound is amplified also from your room is you decide to play your guitar & sing and when you slam your doors (don't know why you have to) or stand near a room saying good night to another or talking as you walk through the halls those of us in our rooms can hear you clearly and that 10 pm slam is not a pleasant experience. Even though all was quieted by 1030, including the guitar, this just needs to be said because this hotel is beautiful & offers great prices but guests can spoil the whole package.

Room Tip: The rroms on the backside will have the dumpster down by the garage that may effect the morning when...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

For a one night quick visit to St. Simeon's, I selected this hotel for its location. The hotel was cozy, the staff was friendly, the room was spacious and very modern. It is within a half block of the lighthouse and visitor center and just a few steps from all the shops and restaurants. Having an economy room, we did not have a view of the water, but there is a little terrace off the lobby to sit and enjoy the lighthouse and water. I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Some rooms had room for chairs on the balcony and some didn't. It didn't matter to us!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We absolutely loved this hotel from the moment we arrived. It is located in a quaint area of St Simons overlooking the ocean and working lighthouse. The room we had was gorgeous with a king and queen bed and lovely antique furniture. We had a fridge and a microwave which I always find handy when I travel and we had a full balcony. Breakfast was continental but was fine. My husband did not like the water so if it bothers you, I didn't mind it, buy some bottled water. A real gem and I would love to go back for a longer visit. Just so you know, there is no Taco Bell nearby!!! I heard a lady ask for the nearest Taco Bell for her kids, you have to leave the island!! There are no chain restaurants here but there are some really good local ones within a 5 minute walk.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
Ocean Lodge
Ocean Lodge
#3 of 9 in Saint Simons Island
4.5 of 5 stars 548 reviews
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#5 of 9 in Saint Simons Island
4.5 of 5 stars 456 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island
Hampton Inn & Suites Jekyll Island
Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's Island
Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's ...
#8 of 9 in Saint Simons Island
3.5 of 5 stars 156 reviews

Been to Ocean Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!