“Best Food on Saint Simons”
Review of Blackwater Grill

Blackwater Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 29, 2009

While the atmosphere in this place seems dowdy at first appearance, the food and service is by far the best on St. Simons. The shrimp & grits are my favorite and I believe I have eaten almost everything on the menu. We have our company Christmas dinner here every year but my husband and I probably eat here about once a month. The filet is also to die for. If they ever have brussel sprouts, asparagus or green beans as the "vegetable of the day" defintitely try. They are always cooked to perfection. Not over done, just crispy enough and very fresh. They also have a full bar and a lot of spicy cajun food. The crawfish etoufee is also exceptional. I have never had one single thing on the menu that wasn't perfect. If you ever go, ask for Landon she's the best waitress on St. Simons!

1  Thank gabride2b

Reviewed October 13, 2008

We ate here at the end of August. We had heard that the Blackwater Grill was a good place to eat while in St. Simons. We got there as soon as it opened. There wasn't a crowd to deal with because we decided to go there for an early supper. Our waitress took our order and brought out some bread for us to eat. My meal came with a salad, so that came out before the main meal. It was a small salad, but it was good. Another member of our group ordered a bowl of the Brunswick Stew. It was good as well. Our meal came out soon after. The members of my party got the shrimp and crabcakes. I ordered the grilled pork chop. The shrimp and crabcakes got average reviews, but I loved my grilled pork chop. It was very good! The side item that came with my meal with ok, but that pork chop with apple glaze was good to me!

1  Thank krissy1028
Reviewed June 26, 2008

This resterant has a lot to compeat with on this island. In my view it does a wonderful job. We just lucked up on it while riding around. The dip that they start the meal off with is excellent. My wife got the low country boil that was wonderful, expecally the corn on the cob. I go the combo shrimp. I had the fried shrimp and the blackened shrimp. The fried shrimp was nothing to write home about, but the blackened shrimp was very good. The service was excellent. Our waitress was always there when we needed something but was not hovering around like a vulture. In price it was alright. It was not cheap but I think I got what I paid for. I would go there again and would recommend it to others.

1  Thank gatravlr
Reviewed April 11, 2008

This restaurant was recommended by a local for it's early bird special. The waitress was so nice and welcoming, until we settled in with the regular menu and couldn't find the special early bird menu. When we asked for it, her mood changed 180 degrees and we were no longer welcome at her table. The food was OK. I recall there was only one seafood item on the early menu: fried shrimp.
The restaurant itself was not outstanding, just a regular place for steak and seafood. And the fickle server, we found amusing. Our
next night's dinner at Chelsea's was good food but a very bad server. I'll review that one as well.

Reviewed November 13, 2005

What a treat it was for us to discover this outstanding restaurant tucked away unpretentiously in Redfern Village. On an island full of bulldog fans it was refreshing to find at least one corner that welcomed Tech fans, even if it was on the qt for business reasons. The steak I had was fresh cut, large, perfectly grilled, excellently presented and good to the last bite. The crab cakes deserved the same praise. This is a combination seafood, cajun, bbq and steak restaurant. And it's all good! The bodacious meaty flavor packed brunswick stew was loaded with the kind of hardy stick-to-it-tive-ness that made America the greatest free country on the face of the earth. If oyu think the stew is good have a Blackwater Sunday.

4  Thank Bbqman3341