“Incredible Service and Food”
Review of Blackwater Grill

Blackwater Grill
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We saw in the local menu booklet that Guy Fiero had this restaurant on his show. I had the grouper dish that he had and it was wonderful - the best fish dish I have ever had. The items he tried are marked on the menu. The service was also very good - I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

There are newer reviews for Blackwater Grill

Reviewed July 26, 2011

We had 6 people for dinner and it was a strange experience. 3 of us LOVED our dinners and 3 of us HATED it. So I can tell you that we loved the shrimp and grits, gumbo and steak salad. We did not enjoy the ribs, low country boil or the grilled shrimp.

Reviewed July 26, 2011

My wife and I read all sorts of favorable reviews about Blackwater Grill, so we decided to give it a try. She, I, and our kids, ages 5 and 2, walked in on Tues. 6/7/11 around 7pm. There were no people waiting. They have a large sign at the front that says "Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free puppy." That was funny at first.
The woman at the front looked us up and down, hesitated, and said, "Well, this is the point in the evening where we have to start making people wait." She directed us toward a seating area behind the front podium. We thought this was odd because she didn't actually say that there was a wait, because there wasn't - we were the only ones waiting. She just said now was the time that they made people wait.
So, my wife and I and the kids sat there and watched them seat 2 or 3 parties while we waited. After about 20 minutes of sitting there looking at empty tables on the other side of the restaurant, we left and spent our money at Gnat's Landing, where we were seated immediately.
The whole thing was weird. We're white, middle-class, average-looking people, and we were dressed in appropriate attire for what was supposed to be a nice island restaurant. It's possible that they were booked up with reservations for that night; but, if that was the case, why didn't the woman just say so? We looked at the signs again as we left, and there was nothing indicating that reservations were recommended.
However, there was the now unfunny sign about children, which we should have taken as a warning. The only thing we can think of is that it was because we had two small children that we were stuck to the side until we felt unwelcome enough to leave. If they don't want children there, they should just say so.
My recommendation for Blackwater Grill: If you want to eat there, make reservations and don't bring your young children.
I'll definitely go back to St. Simons, but I won't be going back to Blackwater Grill.

2  Thank brj0000
Reviewed July 24, 2011

I went to eat on a Friday night with a group of 8 people. The hostess was very friendly and seated us promptly. Food was good but nothing special. I would go there again when I come back to st. Simons in the future.

Reviewed July 21, 2011

I've eaten shrimp and grits at many places, but this was by far the best I've ever had! The sauce was to die for! Perfect amount of spiciness, altogether fabulous! Sooooo yummy! Great service too.