“Great food, so-so service”
Review of The Crab Trap

The Crab Trap
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

The crab trap is a must-have every time we visit SSI. We love the food and atmosphere. However, we cannot give an excellent rating due to service, especially on our last visit. The wait staff treat customers like cattle - heading the masses in and out as quickly as possible. If I am paying over $60 for dinner for two I would like to enjoy my meal without you "cleaning off my dishes" before I am done. I get it that the restaurant accommodates a lot of people each night, but it may entice the them to come again if they feel valued as a customer while dining. Furthermore, a member of our party was celebrating a birthday - on their actual birthday. The waitress did not acknowledge with a simple greeting after being made aware of this event. However, she brought a neighboring table dessert with candles for a birthday celebration. Then she proceeded to deliver our check and tell us where to pay, again without acknowledging the member of our party. She was even waiting at the register for us to leave so she could "collect her tip." I was appalled at this behavior, as I have waited tables in a similar restaurant before. I am giving honest feedback as I feel these things could be corrected. I am sure we will return because of the food, but if the experience is the same then we will find a new place to have crab legs in SSI!

Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

Crab legs were awesome! Nice and fresh and plentiful. They also have very good hushpuppies. The service was good too. This time of year plan on waiting for a table 25 minutes.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I was so excited to go to this restaurant based on my friends recommendations. When I read the menu, I couldn't believe how much of the food was fried, I had the crab patties, (thinking they would be pan fried, not deep fried), they were good, but I wouldn't say excellent. The meal comes with hush puppies, fries and coleslaw. The food is pricey. It is served on the wooden bamboo weaved plates. Would I go back, probably no, but then again, I am not a fried food lover.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Our first visit to the Crab Trap was a good one. Yes, it's not cheap, but good seafood never is. The waitress (who was awesome) worked with our group of 11 people (4 Moms, 7 girls ranging in age from 5 to 12), making suggestions and giving alternatives. My daughter had the appetizer portion of grilled scallops - and they were amongst the best I've ever tasted, as were my crab legs. We were very fortunate not to wait but the line was out the door when we left. I'll definitely return on our next visit to the area.

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

We had 10 people in our party and got right in. Food was great drinks were great. Loved the location just minutes off the beach. Cost was a bit steep by about 20%. I'd go back just give the kids a few more rules when ordering.