“BEST FRIED CHICKEN”
Review of Bennie's Red Barn

Bennie's Red Barn
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Bennie's Red Barn, the oldest privately owned restaurant on Saint Simon's Island! Nestled between beautiful live oaks, Bennie's has been a favorite of locals and tourists since 1954. No visit to the Golden Isles is complete without a visit to Bennie's! At the Red Barn you can enjoy steaks grilled to perfection over an old-fashioned open oak flame, seafood, chicken, or spaghetti in a classic, family-friendly setting. If you had visited us back in 1954, you would have enjoyed the best steak and seafood served in the Golden Isles. Some things never change! Our steaks are still cut fresh and cooked over an old-fashioned wood fire and our fresh, local seafood is brought in daily. The Club at Bennie's is a rustic, indoor and outdoor venue located just next door to the Barn. Enjoy a cocktail at our famous TREEBAR or watch the game on either of the 2 big screens. Two outdoor fireplaces and multiple heaters will keep you warm in the winter while the ice cold beer, ceiling fans, and AC will cool you in the summer. The Club is southern casual and ready for your party, but we can help you gussie it up for a more formal event. Experience an Island tradition at Bennie's Red Barn! We look forward to serving you soon.
Reviewed June 23, 2018 via mobile

We vacation on SSI every summer and decided our first night on the island would be dinner at Bennie’s. We have friends who live on the island who first took us there years ago. Such a great place if you have a big group, including kids - cool tradition where they tell you the entire menu at the table. Several people got the fried chicken and said it was the best they had ever had! Staff was very accommodating and sped up our ordering process - we had a tired toddler from a long travel day. Love making this a regular stop - we have been there at Christmas time and their decorations are awesome! Only disappointment - usually, there is a man who comes around and sings at your table, but he wasn’t there on our night. Highly recommend this local island gem.

Reviewed June 19, 2018

I went to Bennie's Red Barn for dinner with a large group. The good news is that the restraunt is very large so there was no problem accomodating our group. The bad news is that the food was mediocre at best and the service was very slow. Also we went in the summer and it was way too hot inside the restaurant.

2  Thank eols
Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

I’ve been going to Bennies for close to 20 years, last two visits were simply ok, tonight was really unacceptable. SLOW service, server said she would refill my water glass, 15-20 minutes go by, I don’t see her again until I tell the bus boy I need a box, just want to leave. Steak was OVERCOOKED!!! Please tell me it was just a bad night, either way, probably will avoid for a while, other options in the area, very sad. I wonder if they are having hard times, restaurant was very empty, it would be disappointing to see them go out of business after so long, but the lights are on but no one is home.

Reviewed June 4, 2018 via mobile

Large open space restaurant inside a remodeled barn. Generous portions reasonably priced. Good food. Great family restaurant

Reviewed May 27, 2018

I had a really great time- and a killer meal!- on visiting St Simon's and can highly recommend the food, location and especially the servers. I has a girl with shocking red hair serve me and was amazed how well she was able to make suggestions, complement my meal with a good drink and disappear when she wasn't required. Thanks to Gretchen I think her name is?