“Very pleased”
Review of Bennie's Red Barn

Bennie's Red Barn
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Welcome to Bennie's Red Barn, the oldest privately owned restaurant on Saint Simon's Island! Nestled between beautiful live oaks, Bennie's has been a favorite of locals and tourists since 1954. No visit to the Golden Isles is complete without a visit to Bennie's! At the Red Barn you can enjoy steaks grilled to perfection over an old-fashioned open oak flame, seafood, chicken, or spaghetti in a classic, family-friendly setting. If you had visited us back in 1954, you would have enjoyed the best steak and seafood served in the Golden Isles. Some things never change! Our steaks are still cut fresh and cooked over an old-fashioned wood fire and our fresh, local seafood is brought in daily. The Club at Bennie's is a rustic, indoor and outdoor venue located just next door to the Barn. Enjoy a cocktail at our famous TREEBAR or watch the game on either of the 2 big screens. Two outdoor fireplaces and multiple heaters will keep you warm in the winter while the ice cold beer, ceiling fans, and AC will cool you in the summer. The Club is southern casual and ready for your party, but we can help you gussie it up for a more formal event. Experience an Island tradition at Bennie's Red Barn! We look forward to serving you soon.
Maryville, Tennessee, United States
“Very pleased”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Excellent meal and atmosphere. I was a little reluctant to visit as sometimes "legend" restaurants fail to live up to their billing. However, I was pleasantly surprised. We had a large group and a variety of items were ordered. Everything was superb! The food was fantastic...some of the best fried seafood I have ever had! The service was also excellent. Needless to say we will be back...probably tonight!

SSI, GA
“Love Bennies -- a SSI tradition”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Bennie's has been a SSI tradition for over 50 years and while it did suffer some quality issues when Bennie Gentile passed, it has come back to its originally glory now. The staff are all excellent and really take care of you. Steaks are amazing and seafood is wonderful. My favorite though is the boneless grilled chicken --- it's enough for 3 meals (great to have for lunch the next day over salad)! Desserts are great too. No, I am not a fan of the salad --- but it's their tradition. Always get the crab newburg! Amazing! And if you really want to splurge get the Raccoon drink for dessert. Chip always keeps everyone entertained (singing old gospel and beach music favorites) and on Thursday nights, the Club (next door indoor/outdoor bar) has a wonderful singer, Tony Adams who is usually joined by guests Leo Dean and the house DJ (DJ Rob).

1 Thank bssigirl1
Macon, Georgia
“Best Steak in GA”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The filet at Bennie's Read Barn is the best steak in Georgia. I grew up enjoying the Red Barn when Mr. Bennie was alive and his legacy still continues today as the steaks are just as good. I've got a family member that always gets the one pound t-bone and eats every bit of it. The wilted, garlic based dressing salad is great too. I often get a second salad and in fact the last time I went the waitress recognized us from before and she immediately said, "she'd be back with more salads." This is a place where young chldren will marvel at the staff as they sing.

• Visited June 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
“Top Notch!”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Best of all our meals on St. Simons. Great steaks and seafood. The service was outstanding. This was a five star meal - have not had good beef like this in years. Finished it off with apple pie and pecan pie - superb! Not cheap, but worth every penny. Come with an appetite - you will not be disappointed.

Visited August 2013
Macon, Georgia
“Wonderful meal”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My mother, daughter and I recently went to Bennie's. Regrettably I did not get our waiter's name but he gave us the best service I have ever received at a restaurant. Our meal arrived promptly and was delicious. I had the fried seafood platter and it was cooked perfectly. My mother had the Surf and turf and the steak was like butter. My daughter had fried fish and for once actually ate her meal. The highlight however was Mr. Chip Wilson who came over and sang to her (Summertime-Ella Fitzgerald version). She loved it! He also posed for a picture with us and was extremely kind and gracious. We will definitely be going there again.

1 Thank rxhasty