“A mainstay on St. Simons”
Review of Bennie's Red Barn

Bennie's Red Barn
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Bennie's Red Barn, the oldest privately owned restaurant on Saint Simon's Island! Nestled between beautiful live oaks, Bennie's has been a favorite of locals and tourists since 1954. No visit to the Golden Isles is complete without a visit to Bennie's! At the Red Barn you can enjoy steaks grilled to perfection over an old-fashioned open oak flame, seafood, chicken, or spaghetti in a classic, family-friendly setting. If you had visited us back in 1954, you would have enjoyed the best steak and seafood served in the Golden Isles. Some things never change! Our steaks are still cut fresh and cooked over an old-fashioned wood fire and our fresh, local seafood is brought in daily. The Club at Bennie's is a rustic, indoor and outdoor venue located just next door to the Barn. Enjoy a cocktail at our famous TREEBAR or watch the game on either of the 2 big screens. Two outdoor fireplaces and multiple heaters will keep you warm in the winter while the ice cold beer, ceiling fans, and AC will cool you in the summer. The Club is southern casual and ready for your party, but we can help you gussie it up for a more formal event. Experience an Island tradition at Bennie's Red Barn! We look forward to serving you soon.
Reviewed October 26, 2011

This place has been in business for a long time, and it has great ambience. The food was good -- very fresh and well-prepared -- and the service was great. I make it a point to visit whenever I'm on St. Simons.

There are newer reviews for Bennie's Red Barn

Reviewed October 5, 2011

The Howard Family Reunion was held on Jekyll Island this year. We chose to have our family dinner at BENNIE'S RED BARN ON ST. SIMON'S ISLAND. I contacted CHRIS (the manager) months before to be sure they would be able to accommodate 80-100 people on Sept. 17, 2011. He was so nice and easy to work with. He even called me the day before to make sure we were still coming SO THAT HE COULD BE SURE TO ORDER ENOUGH FRESH SEAFOOD TO FEED US ALL!!

I needed space to have an awards ceremony before dinner as well. He let us use his club house area that came complete with a stage, microphone, lighting, seating for everyone! After the awards ceremony we were seated in the dining room where some of the NICEST, MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE SERVERS I EVER MET, went over the menu with us.

We were given water, drinks, and bread immediately. Then came the salad.. THE SLICK SALAD.. it is ridiculously delicious! I have noticed some of the OTHER REVIEWS EXPRESS DISLIKE FOR THE SALAD.. DON'T BELIEVE THEM.. IT IS AMAZING. THE HOUSE DRESSING IS ABSOLUTELY SCRUMPTIOUS!

Let me give your a little insight on how good the salad is. My brother doesn't eat lettuce, tomato, or any other salad items unless it's meat and croutons. He has never eaten more than a mom-forced bite of salad in his life. So of course he was hesitant when I tasted mine and insisted that he try it. Well after one bite he said, "mmm! That IS good!"
He not only finished that test-bite, he finished the whole bowl! THIS YOUNG MAN HAS NEVER EATEN A SALAD, NEVER FOUND A SALAD DRESSING HE COULD TOLERATE IN HIS WHOLE LIFE, BUT HE ALL BUT LICKED THE BOWL AT BENNIE'S!!

On to the entrees..I ordered the Salmon.. omg! I think it may have been THE FRESHEST , MOST DELICIOUS SALMON I EVER ATE!! My husband got the fried chicken..my father got the grilled chicken. The PORTIONS ARE HUGE!! YOU ACTUALLY GET A HALF OF A CHICKEN! My mom's spaghetti came piled high with pasta and a huge bowl of sauce on the side. My brother got grilled grouper. Everything came out timely, hot, and perfect!

For dessert, Chris indulged my family as we sang round after round of Happy Birthday to several family members who had birthdays in September!! The funniest thing was when my husband played a joke and told the waitress it was my father's birthday.. his birthday is actually in March!! Imagine the look on his face when the whole crew started singing Happy Birthday, yet again, but this time coming over to our table.. directly to him!! He was so shocked! Our whole table was in on the joke.. he was just looking at all of us like what the heck is going on?? We were all just dying laughing! WHAT A GREAT TIME!!

Chris, thanks for everything. You went above and beyond what I expected. EIGHTY MEMBERS OF THE HOWARD FAMILY went home full and happy!! The food, the atmosphere, the service, the decor...Bennie's Red Barn gets two thumbs up on all four!

WE WILL DEFINITELY BE BACK!!

BLESSING AND GOOD WISHES TO CHRIS AND THE PROFESSIONAL, COURTEOUS, AND PATIENT CREW AT BENNIE'S RED BARN !!

1  Thank MrsWandaMiller
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Had been to the Red Barn 15 years ago and enjoyed it on a golf trip, went back this summer with the family and it was still great. Very casual, steak, fried chicken, salmon, baked potato joint with old school local servers in the white dinner server jacket. 5 minutes from The Cloister. Great for all ages, large open dining area in the main barn.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Don't believe everything you read especially some of the bad reviews that some unhappy souls leave because nothing makes them happy. I live in Maryland and have gone to some of the finest restaurants in my area including the nation's capital and without a doubt Bennie's Red Barn is one of the BEST I have ever been in. The food is to die for and the staff was very friendly and know their menu inside and out. We not only went once, but came back a couple nights later. Why ? the other restaurants did not come close to the quality this one has Go there try the Grouper and the New York Strip and to top it off try the Blueberry Cobbler, it's just the way my Granny made it. The bartender also knows how to make a good drink. And to end this review if you get a waiter named Gordon, rest assure he is going to take great care of you, he is totally awesome and has been there for years. Tip these fine people of the South a little extra because you won't find any finer in the State of Georgia. Oh! This place has been there since 1954, take that you bad reviewers and commercial establishments.

Reviewed August 12, 2011

This restaurant came highly recommended by locals on the island and we are glad we tried it. The food was excellent and the service was fantastic. We had a large group and were taken care of very well by our waiter, Fred. We had the crab legs, steak and fried chicken, among other things and it was all perfect. Highly recommend eating here if in the area.

1  Thank butterbean32