“My husband's favorite St. Simon's place to eat”
Review of Barbara Jean's

Barbara Jean's
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We have eaten at Barbara Jean's every time we are in St Simon's and often drive out of the way to eat there when traveling in the nearby areas. The home cooked food is memorable, My husband's favorites are the pot roast, crab cakes and all vegetable dishes . Have to say the sandwiches which we had our most recent time were disappointing. Frozen hamburger patties and a grilled cheese sandwich that had soggy bread and half melted cheese was not on the level of quality we have come to expect from one of the most popular eateries on the island. Will eat here again but definitely stick to the tried and true items that has given this restaurant it's loyal following. Overall rating is based on most of our experiences here.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,347)

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Had dinner here with my family and really enjoyed the food. I had the shrimp and grits which were some of the best I have had. My wife and kids all had traditional southern food like chicken fried steak, pot roast, and chicken fingers which were also very good. This place was a good alternative for those who like seafood and those who don't. Typically you don't see places that offer a lot of other non-seafood options with great seafood, so this place fits the bill for all. Kids meal portions were very big, hearty enough even for older kids. Waited about 20 minutes even early in the evening, but service is fast so you shouldn't wait too long. Overall, good food and great value.

Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

Food is average at best. Prices are high for the average at best food. Was better even a year ago. Service was average. Crabcake was mediocre. Fries not good.

1  Thank marieds
Reviewed April 4, 2014

How could we be on this island and not go to the place everyone was talking about?
Clearly it was the hot spot, for it,s homemade food, corn bread and crab cakes. It was good, but get there early or the middle of the afternoon . Tourists seem to flock there, long time visitors seem to return. Definitely try it once, you too may return.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We had never eaten on St Simons before and walked the street looking for where we would eat. I work off the premise that if there are people waiting at one place and no one at another, I will wait too. So it was, but the wait was short. We ate on New Year's Day on a rainy cold day about 2 p.m., and this place was still hopping at 2. The She Crab soup was so, so, so, good--we have eaten it at lots of places, and this is really good to us. We shared crab cakes which were some of the best I didn't make myself, and we were able to share greens and blackeyed peas. The cornbread was just a little spicy--awesome. They do charge $3 for split plate, but the good news is that for us they provided an additional plate. I found the service to be authentic, conversational, and wonderful. We were happy, and we will be back.