“Gettin' grits but givin' groans!”
Review of Barbara Jean's

Barbara Jean's
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
On The Water
“Gettin' grits but givin' groans!”
Reviewed August 7, 2008

This was our first experience with Barbara Jean's in St. Simons Island, or at anywhere for that matter. We decided to go there after reading the reviews here. Overall, it was a good thing- the food was great. Service? Well, that's where the givin' groans part comes in. If you call there and ask how long the wait is- rule of thumb tack on another 20 minutes at least! The phone guy answering must be paid to score shave the wait time to get you over there. Two by two and ten by ten they all piled in. All was well for about 15 minutes waiting after the little, packed diner was bugling at the seams. Then, it happened- the host was answering the phone with his favorite phrase "about a 5-10 minute wait y'all". GOOD LUCK on that we say! Try 45 minutes at least for a table for two! So now for the food- yummy! Home style at its southern finest. The She Crab soup- for y'all not liking spicy foods (like me) be sure to skip this one! Burned the old throat going down, yuk. Fair amount of crab in it however.
Crab cakes- they were good, not as wonderful as I expected them to be. Honestly, had one just as good at Ruby Tuesday's recently. Side dishes- got some little bowls of gold here! Go for the squash casserole of yellow goodness- carrots are great, corn, mashed potatoes too. All good. The breads they serve you to start your meal are fantastic too. The pumpkin bread- you will ask for more!
If you leave there hungry, it is all your fault!

2 Thank dining4digs

• Korean first
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Always the best...well worth the wait!”
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Always the best...well worth the wait!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Edisto Island, South Carolina
“Crab cakes?”
Reviewed June 4, 2008

my wife and i really enjoy a great crab cake and after seeing this restaurant on one of the cooking shows we decided to eat there one night during our stay in St. Simon's. We had to wait a short time and visited the bar. service was excellent and shorly we were called to our table. the waitress arrived quickly, took our drink order and food order and left. the food arrived in a timely manner and the crab cake my wife had ordered was HUGE!. However it turned out to be a very mundane crab cake. it was good but not that good. my order of fried shrimp was also huge and very good except for the excessive breading. the small caeser salad i ordered was excellent and i could not finish the salad.Overall the service was excellent but the food just average nothing to write home to mama about

2 Thank edisto62
Athens
“Great, as usual”
Reviewed May 29, 2008

Ate early supper there on 5/24 - wonderful, as usual.
Had crab cake, squash casserole and broccoli/rice.
Outstanding!

1 Thank maxima22
Atlanta, GA
“What's all the fuss about?”
Reviewed May 25, 2008

We went to Barbara Jean's for dinner one night since it was right around the corner from St Simon's Inn by the Lighthouse. Service from the cute waitress was pretty average. The bread basket with the pumpkin bread (more like a muffin) was really good. I looked around to see what everybody was eating and it all looked so tasty.

The entrees we ordered, however, did not fare so well. I had the pot roast with carrots and green beans. I was really looking forward to it, but only found it to be way too salty. My girlfriend had the pork chops. All there was were 2 tiny pieces on the plate. One was nice and juicy, while the other was dry and bland. The entree came with a salad which was dry and wilted. We also ordered a jumbo lump crabcake since they're apparently famous here. I've had much better up north. I had to make my own dipping sauce of lime and pepper. Unfortunately, we didn't feel like finishing it. Oh well.

2 Thank gtg934v