“Good food good service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Half Shell

The Half Shell
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We're a casual, family friendly restaurant with contemporary coastal American cuisine. Follow us on Facebook & Instagram!
St simons island
“Good food good service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

The night we ate there we received excellent service and the food was delicious. A lady seemed like the manager maybe (that looks maybe Hawaiian) came and talked to us and made our experience special.

• Visited June 2014

Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Good quality food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

We ate here several times whilst on a recent holiday on St Simons Island. The quality of the food and service was good, and the restaurant is decorated with a nautical theme (cool restrooms with undersea murals!).
We ate the crab cakes, mahi-mahi and chicken sandwiches, but the best part was the desert - the chefs own 'sticky butter cake' which is divine!

Visited June 2014
Jefferson, Georgia
“Great dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

Loved the Oysters Frederica better than the Oysters Bruschetta. Tomatoes did not seem to go with oysters. The blue crab crab cakes were more crab than filler. I would have them again. Comfortable atmosphere, even though I was alone and seated in the bar area, I felt safe & comfortable. Multiple wait staff took care of me and so my drink was filled and food came out quickly.

Visited June 2014
“Typical over priced restaurant in the village”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I took my husband and in laws here a couple of months ago while they were on vacation from up north based on all the great reviews I read on line. Bottom line...very typical tourist establishment. I asked the server how the oysters were since the season had just ended. Of course she told me they were wonderful, and of course they were tiny and gritty. My "Georgia shrimp" basket consisted of tiny salad shrimp. My husband and his sister ordered fish tacos and were wondering where the fish was. To top it all off, my brother in law ordered a burger that looked (and apparently tasted like) a frozen patty. Our server was nice enough, but a young man working there had an ego so large it was amazing we all fit into the dining room! It was drama just asking him where the rest room was! By the way, only 1 stall for him and her. Too many other good options around town to return, and I was actually embarrassed that I dragged my family here!

rankchef, Manager at The Half Shell, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant, and we are truly disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience with us. It is also disheartening to read that you feel we are a "typical over priced tourist restaurant," as that is not what we set out to be.

We are at the mercy of Mother Nature and our suppliers to meet the demand for oysters, and unfortunately, it seems you came at a time when we were getting aquaculture oysters from Virginia, which can be small. We continually seek good sources for oysters along the East Coast, and we try to buy the best product available. It seems that our answer has come from Pokomoke River (MD) and Blue Point (DE), which we currently serve.

You also came at a time when the shrimping season had just begun, and there were no shrimp of notable size available. We try not to serve smaller than a 26/30 grade white shrimp, but would rather serve a smaller Georgia shrimp over any imports.

Apologies for the skimpy portions on the fish tacos. They are one of our most popular and best received lunch specials.

Again, the burger is one of our most popular menu items. We initially started out making our burger patties, but with volume and space constraints, we switched to a preformed fresh ground patty. We purchase fresh beef, not frozen.

When we took the space over, there was only one restroom, and we knew that it was going to be a problem. We have since added a second, however they are both universal, because the second is not large enough to be handicap accessible. We are trying to make the best of the space with which we have to work.

On a personal note, I am "the young man with an ego so large it was amazing that we all fit into the dining room," and I would be lying if I did not say that I am offended by the remark, but I do apologize that my personality came across that way. I try to make it a point to stop by every table in the restaurant to see that they are enjoying themselves. Had words of discontent been spoken to your server or myself, I would have done everything possible to correct the situation. I know that we are not perfect, but I try to do my best to see that our guests leave happy.

Again, thank you for your review, and I apologize that you did not enjoy your experience with us. We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to change your opinion.
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best food and service on Saint Simons”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

I can't say enough good things about the Half Shell. From the food to the service the place is fabulous. Whether you want to grab a cocktail at the bar or have a 3 course meal this place rocks. If you happen to have your dog with you you can dine outside and your pooch is welcome!The fish tacos are great and you have to have some oysters and an oyster shooter too. The staff is very professional and friendly. A great place to dine and make sure to have dessert it is homemade!

• Visited June 2014