“Pub food supreme!”

The Half Shell
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We're a casual, family friendly restaurant with contemporary coastal American cuisine. Follow us on Facebook & Instagram!
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Get the chili slaw with anything. The fresh shucked oysters are cold and sweet. The pork chop, cooked to perfection and moist and the cheese grits to cry over! Local Savannah beer...served too cold...but I think that's a Southern thing. Chef comes out to chat. What a fun meal.. We will return and tell our friends.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

The fried shrimp were light and tasty, the publike casual atmosphere was nice but the food a cut above average. I had a a grilled oyster special that was kind of a cajun spiced oysters rockefeller with bacon. We skipped the entrees and had the yummy butter cake. Will definitely go back for more. Only doing lunch on friday - sunday during off season. Hope they make it. Several other seafood joints seem to have closed since I was here last year.

Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Try the oysters fredericka. Excellent food and a very competent bartender. I had the oysters with an awesome Manhattan to start followed with fish of the day and a pbr draft.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

On our way back from Florida, we needed a diversion after driving for 7 hours. We decided to poke up the coast on Rt 17 for a bit. I found the Half Shell on line and we decided it was worth checking out. The host told us the kitchen would not be open for dinner until 4:45, so we walked the pier and milled around some shops for 40 minutes. We got back and the bar area was already filling up with locals. We looked over the menu, although I knew I wanted oysters and my friend wanted shrimp. I ordered the Oysters Brushetta and an Oyster app that was a special. The Brushetta was a batch of 6 oysters covered with brushetta sauce and spinach roasted. The special was a half dozen oysters grilled with bacon, mushrooms and spinach. Both were very unique tastes and I heartily enjoyed them. My friend had the fried Georgia shrimp with sweet potato fries. The shrimp were very fresh and tasty. For less than $40., we had 2 fine meals and a couple of sodas. We were back on the road totally recharged by 6 PM. This was a great discovery off the highway. The 10 mile detour was well worth it both for the great food and the mental break from high speed driving. If you are near St. Simon Island, and I will call I95 near, you should definitely checkout this little gem of a place just off the pier. I think even the most ardent driver will appreciate the break from the road.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Chosen due to TA reviews and because it was in walking distance to our hotel. We will return due to great experience and great food. We went on Nov 30, 2013 with another couple. We were seating quickly, orders were quickly delivered to table, everything was delicious. It was my first time eating raw oysters and they were great. Also at our table, we had fried shrimp, shrimp & grits, and crab cakes. Everybody enjoyed their meals. I hope to return at least once more on this visit. Thank you Half-Shell.