“The Half Shell is Full On”
Review of The Half Shell

The Half Shell
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We're a casual, family friendly restaurant with contemporary coastal American cuisine. Follow us on Facebook & Instagram!
Groveland, Massachusetts
“The Half Shell is Full On”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

On our way back from Florida, we needed a diversion after driving for 7 hours. We decided to poke up the coast on Rt 17 for a bit. I found the Half Shell on line and we decided it was worth checking out. The host told us the kitchen would not be open for dinner until 4:45, so we walked the pier and milled around some shops for 40 minutes. We got back and the bar area was already filling up with locals. We looked over the menu, although I knew I wanted oysters and my friend wanted shrimp. I ordered the Oysters Brushetta and an Oyster app that was a special. The Brushetta was a batch of 6 oysters covered with brushetta sauce and spinach roasted. The special was a half dozen oysters grilled with bacon, mushrooms and spinach. Both were very unique tastes and I heartily enjoyed them. My friend had the fried Georgia shrimp with sweet potato fries. The shrimp were very fresh and tasty. For less than $40., we had 2 fine meals and a couple of sodas. We were back on the road totally recharged by 6 PM. This was a great discovery off the highway. The 10 mile detour was well worth it both for the great food and the mental break from high speed driving. If you are near St. Simon Island, and I will call I95 near, you should definitely checkout this little gem of a place just off the pier. I think even the most ardent driver will appreciate the break from the road.

• Visited December 2013

North Carolina
“Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Chosen due to TA reviews and because it was in walking distance to our hotel. We will return due to great experience and great food. We went on Nov 30, 2013 with another couple. We were seating quickly, orders were quickly delivered to table, everything was delicious. It was my first time eating raw oysters and they were great. Also at our table, we had fried shrimp, shrimp & grits, and crab cakes. Everybody enjoyed their meals. I hope to return at least once more on this visit. Thank you Half-Shell.

• Visited November 2013
Marion
“Very good food, great location close to the pier”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

My family and I were visiting the beautiful pier and lighthouse area. We checked trip advisor for a close seafood restaurant and The Half Shell was right there, extremely close to the pier just around the corner. We walked to it, walked in and immediately knew we'd have to eat there. Everything was clean and smelled great inside. They have a very cool glass covered bar/ counter with shells underneath. Lots of neat ocean related decor. We had the lunch specials. Even though I initially came for seafood, one of their lunch specialty burgers caught my eye so I tried it. I had a delicious burger (I forget exactly what it was called) with bacon wrapped green beans and crispy fries on the side. My wife got shrimp taco's. Everything was excellent, except neither of us were crazy about the sauce on her taco's. The waitress was very friendly and the whole meal was under $20 (not including my beer).

We sat outside and I enjoyed one of their beers on tap; a "UFO". It was extremely similar to a "Blue Moon" beer and it came with an orange slice. Truly delicious and it was so nice to be at an excellent, relaxed location right there less than a block from the ocean. It's the kind of relaxed, easy going indoor/ outdoor restaurant someone would enjoy eating lunch at on a regular basis if they could. I look forward to stopping by again the next time we visit St Simon island.

• Visited November 2013
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“Oysters and local shrimp”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Outside seating great raw bar peel and eat shrimp are wonderful one of my favorite stops on the island .it's in the village so there's lots to do nearby .With the often craft shows and art shows at the casino this is the place to be. Happy hour till seven

Visited November 2013
Franklin, Tennessee
“Amazing food and amazing service”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I would eat here 3 times a week if I lived on the island. We have a condo so we always go when visiting. I went there for my birthday last week and had a wonderful meal beginning with their delicious raw oysters and ending with their sticky butter cake which no one should miss. We will go again when there for Thanksgiving and I will again end with the sticky butter cake. They brought time and said it was a gift from them for my birthday but accidentally charged us anyway. It was soooo good that I did not care. It was the thought that counted. The service is really really good here and they treat you like friends instead of customers.

• Visited October 2013