“We thoroughly enjoyed it!”
Review of Island Chop House - CLOSED

Island Chop House
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We were very hesitant to go with dubious reviews on Trip Advisor, but the bartender at the Village Inn promised us it would be good. It's in an unappealing strip mall, but they made it lovely inside, with a big brick fireplace, a nice bar, and tables well spaced. We were warmly greeted by Joanne and served by David. My husbands palate would have nothing other than a good filet, so he ordered the 6 oz prime ( not the Choice) at market price. $30 for a prime filet with 2 sides is a very fair price but not a value unless it's good...and it was wonderful: tender, soft as butter, flavorful and delicious, just as a superb filet should be. His salad was an extra $1 but well worth it, a generous portion with croutons, grated cheese, cucumbers and tomatoes.
I am not a big meat eater so I opted for the onion soup, which was wonderful, and the crab cake, which was huge and fantastic. It was a smooth consistency...no peppers, thank you very much...maybe some flour and subtle herbs, I know not, but it was delish with or without the remoulade.
Drawbacks: my soup was served before his salad, and hismgrilledmonions came out a couple of minutes after the steak was served. The efforts and friendliness of the staff compensated. Our unequivocal recommmendation.

There are newer reviews for Island Chop House

Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is a new restaurant that is trying to make it. We were there a few nights ago, and our server was very sweet. She offered us bread, but we waited probably 15 minutes for what appeared to be over baked, but cold, Sister Shubert yeast rolls. We ordered a fried cheese appetizer, waited and waited, then we're told that they couldn't get the breading to stick to the cheese. I had the fried lobster, which was very greasy, as was the cheese appetizer-yes, they finally figured it out. She forgot my husband's crab cake, and brought one out that he couldn't even eat. We've had much better frozen ones from the grocery store. In all fairness, the onion rings were very good. Greasy, but good. It's unlikely that we will go back.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I walked into the restaurant and stood at the hostess desk for a long time. No one was there. I moved toward the restaurant interior and could see the bartender as he could and did see me. Still, no one came to seat me. Finally, a lady came from the kitchen and as she approached me she asked if I wanted to sit at the bar. I think I could have made my way there long ago if that is where I wanted to sit.

She seated me at a table and handed me a menu. No other table had guests. I should have known this was going to be a bad night.

After a long wait, a server appeared. I told him what I wanted and he vanished. There was never a question about bread nor did any ever appear.

Someone from the kitchen brought out the salad. It was bland lifeless--at best. The server cleared my salad plate and moments later someone else from the kitchen brought out the bone-in rib-eye (their most expensive steak). I had a baked potato along side of it.

I had ordered the potato with butter and sour cream--it had sour cream and bacon. I ordered the steak Pittsburgh medium rare. It came out medium with no char.

While I was eating only one other table was seated and some other server had that table. My server never came by during the meal. As a matter of fact, I had to wave him down to get the check.

This is really too bad. This area screams out for a great steakhouse. This is NOT it. It was a horrible waste of time and money.

6  Thank Herdlinger
Reviewed June 17, 2012

My husband and I gave this new ish restaurant a try. They have all the makings of something that could be good... just lacking in the delivery. The decor is good, the menu is fake island favorites. The theme is maximize the bill. We started with the lobster fingers... way too much batter, tasty lobster. Then my husband ordered the 20 oz Ribeye Prime Cut, it was not as much meat as expected and it was not cooked anywhere close to the mid rare that he ordered, $48, sorry I think it should have been grilled to the correct temp. I had another app: Fried Green Tomatoes, totally drowned in the balsamic sauce. We stayed for: a trio of creme brulee very tasty but cold. Really? Cold? We ate it all because we were hungry. The entire experience was "wish we were somewhere else". Too bad.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

We are locals so a new place is always interesting.We enjoyed our waiter; the restaurant itself is very nice .......can be very noisy if you are wanting to talk........the food was excellent........The bar mixed drinks were awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the bartender need some lessons in mixology.......he can get the simple stuff done I guess...........I have never had a drink that was just AWFUL!! could not drink it ..............lol.....