“Loved the Lodge at St. Simons”

The Lodge at Sea Island
Reviewed February 19, 2007

We are staying here right now and getting treatment fit for kings and queens. These people cannot do enough for us. Every staff person is highly trained and qualified to work in this 5 star establishment. I can't believe the level of service. It is the best resort I have ever stayed in; ever. The food is awesome and every meal is a new adventure for us west coast folks. The area is delightful and we cannot wait to come back. The people here are the friendliest people I have ever vacationed around. I wish every hotel was as fine as this one. We are experiencing true southern hospitality in my opinion.The amenities and decor are beautifully done and they have spared no expense.The lovely new spa and the treatments available are outstanding And my husband said he could play this golf course everyday. Anyone with complaints is a whiner!

• Stayed: February 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank lapple

Reviewed November 4, 2006

I don't really know where to start - we love Sea Island so much that my fiancé and I are getting married there next year.

If you want to go somewhere with huge, luxurious rooms, world-class golf, spa and wonderful restaurants and experience the best service in the country - this is the place.

We love the Lodge. which has a country club feel to it, but the newly renovated Cloister is breathtaking as well. You really can’t go wrong at either place. The Cloister is more family oriented while the Lodge is better for couples.

I don't have a single complaint or criticism of Sea Island (which is rare).

Everyone we have come into contact with on our trips (and we have been there four times) is lovely, helpful and give the appearance of genuinely caring about the resort and each other.

Touches from the rose petal bath they will draw for you at the lodge (the Cloister has other options like an aromatherapy bath) and warm cookies delivered before bed to the range rovers that they will let you drive when available (although there isn't much to see off of the resort) are thoughtful and decadent. It is the little touches that make every stay here so outstanding. For example, when my fiancé called to ask that a pair of shoes that he left in his golf bag be delivered to our room – they were delivered right away and had been polished.

Another refined touch is the bagpipe player who walks around the porch of the lodge during cocktail hour while people are sipping drinks.

At the cloister you get a butler who shows you to your room and will unpack for you (although I never ask for this) and brings tea and coffee in the morning. We think that Colt & Alison (steak house) is the best place to eat at the Lodge and the Georgean room is our favorite at the Cloister. The only place that I don't love is the main dining room at the Cloister - but it isn't bad. We have never eaten at the Ocean Club as it is buffet style and appears to be mainly for families.

We are going to stay in the Sea Island suite at the Cloister during our wedding weekend, but the regular rooms are huge and sophisticated so that you really don’t need to pay for a suite unless you want the extra room.

In fact, we like the rooms at the Cloister better than the suites. The only exception to this are the two super suites which are out of this world. The Sea Island suite and the Blackbanks suite – one has a wrap around balcony and two bedrooms and the other has a library and bar. They are so impressive that they justify the price, which is close to 5 times the price of a regular room.

They have a darling shooting school (oldest one in the country) that is great fun and the newly renovated spa is opening next month. They also have stables if you are into riding horses, a gym and excursions to other islands.

I can't say enough good things about this place and the people. Part of what makes it special is that it is privately owned so no cost is spared to create the "Sea Island Experience."

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank himaintenanc
Connecticut
Reviewed May 2, 2006

Sea Island's arrogance has lost me as a customer for life. The front desk's attitude effectively turned me off from staying there - at $1500 a night for with (illogically) two queen beds with a marsh (not ocean) view, I wouldn't think they could afford to alienate many prospective guests. Upon renting a house in the area (a beautiful beachfront HOUSE on St. Simon's for slightly over a third that price per night), I thought I would get the wife some spa treatments at Sea Island. "Oh, no. Our services are strictly for Sea Island guests!" If you're looking to have your ego stroked through "exclusivity," Sea Island might be a fine place to go. If you'd prefer to leave the egos at work and enjoy a relaxing vacation, there are plenty of better options on the East Coast.

Stayed: May 2005
21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 18, 2006

My husband and I vacationed at the Cloister in July 2005 on a family trip. The rooms and kid's activities were awesome! The food was above average but not excellent. The resort is quite spread out and the ocean view rooms are not actually ocean view. Regardless, we had an awesome vacation and we would recommend the Cloister, particilarly for families with young children.

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank NCL2
Knasas City, Missouri
Reviewed September 26, 2005

I was a guest for dinner on September 19, 2005. What a treat! THE FOOD AND THE SERVICE WERE OUTSTANDING! I don't know when I have enjoyed myself more. Dinner was 8 courses with wine pairings and the selections were wonderfully prepared, delicious to taste and delightfully served.

The Terrace restaraunt is lovely and although others enjoyed the space with us we felt we were in a very intimate setting.

Perfect for our small family gathering.

Many thanks to the staff and the chefs who served with a true servant's heart! What an Oasis!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 7, 2004

My husband and I celebrated our 10th anniversary by staying at the Lodge (3 nights). I'm relatively particular (spoiled by business travel) and I thought The Lodge was wonderful. From the moment we arrived and were greeted by our butler until we left we experienced nothing but friendly service (available but never fawning), delicious meals (had trouble deciding at every meal), and luxurious accomodations. The cookies were delicious! If you like the luxuries of a high-end hotel but without any overt ostentation, the Lodge is a good choice. We also had dinner one night at The Cloisters. It was PACKED with children. Choose The Lodge if you're looking for a quiet place without children.

5  Thank MYCN
North Carolina
Reviewed July 1, 2004

From the moment you enter the gates you get the feeling that the entire staff is actually glad to have you as a guest. A butler greets you and takes you on a tour of the facility and to your room. The rooms are inviting and very comfortable. Nightly cold milk and cookies delivered to rooms if desired and continental breakfast in lobby. The facility is beautiful but the staff is what sets this property apart. Always gracious and accomodating. They should write the book on hospitality and service. The golf courses are beautifully maintained and playable. The one disaapointment is the lack of beach acess or pool. Although it overlooks the ocean no beach at high tiide. The Cloister does have a nice beach club which is a 10 minute ride. Truely,The Lodge is a special destination!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
The Westin Jekyll Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
#3 of 9 in Jekyll Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#7 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
The Cloister at Sea Island
The Cloister at Sea Island
#1 of 1 in Sea Island
The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort
The King and Prince Beach and Go...
#3 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to The Lodge at Sea Island? Share your experiences!