“Easter Weekend”

The Lodge at Sea Island
Savannah, Georgia
“Easter Weekend”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Just ate at the Oak Room at the Lodge. We had to wait about 1 hour to get a table which we did not mind. Then we had to wait over 1 hour to get our entrees. We did not order app's or anything else. 1 hour is just ridiculous. We get the bill and find out a glass of wine is 17.50. A glass not a bottle. I had to ask a manager to make sure it was not a misprint. Just really disappointed. Save your time and money and eat in town. We will next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Elizabeth B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I've had the good fortune to stay at a number of 5 Star hotels and resorts in the past few years.
Sea Island is the best among them.
Whether you rent a cottage (read luxury home just steps from the ocean), stay in The Cloisters (best old school hotel), or the Beach apartments, or The Lodge at the golf courses, you will be in for a real treat. The spacious rooms sport hardwood floors, beamed ceilings, and are appointed with the finest furniture. The bathrooms are clad in marble and the floors are heated. The service is impeccable, whether at the restaurants (don't miss the Bananas Foster at Colt & Alison) or any of the recreational venues. Sea Island is not inexpensive, but delivers the value at every turn.
Put Sea Island on your Bucket List.

Room Tip: If you are an avid golfer, stay at the Lodge.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We recently stayed at The Lodge at Sea Island. Every aspect of the experience: booking (and changing) our reservations, playing golf, eating, drinking and relaxing were all top notch. If you are a golfer, there is nothing better than being able to put your golf shoes on in your room, walk down the stairs and walk directly to a gorgeous, challenging round of golf. We were there in February with the unlimited golf special, and were even able to play as a twosome. We used a forecaddie on the Seaside Course - he was great, as was the course. The Plantation Course was more challenging because of some difficult bunker placement throughout the course. Both are beautiful courses. The accomodations at the Lodge were incredible - we upgraded to a spacious King room, with a view of the golf course and ocean. The rain shower head was the best shower ever. The service from the staff was top notch and very friendly, from cookies and milk at night, to S'Mores by the fire pit, to a bagpipe player at sunset - this is a very special place. The Oak Room at The Lodge was the only average part of the resort because the service was slow and inattentive (in contrast to the stellar service everywhere else). The River Bar was great - great food, great drinks and great atmosphere. Go there to hang out for a casual drink and dinner (a shuttle bus trip required from The Lodge, but worth it). For a splurge, go to The Georgian Room. Our meal there was spectacular- we ordered al a carte instead of the chef's tasting menu and were very happy with each course. The wine list is so extensive, you will need the sommelier, who is friendly and helpful. The Spa was beautiful and relaxing. If you have a spa treatment, you can use the spa throughout your trip. It is also expensive, but worth it. This is an expensive resort, but I can say that we felt that it was entirely worth it, and we will save and go back again.

Room Tip: Try and upgrade to the King rooms - spectacular in all ways.
Florida
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here in February when they were not very busy. We were upgraded, and the room was spacious, lovely and clean. Their rainhead showers are unbelievable - best pressure we've ever had! Even though they were not busy, the one casual restaurant/lounge filled quickly, did not take reservations, so you had to wait. Food there was very good and they adjusted dietary items as requested. At breakfast we were one day the only ones present and at most 2 other tables were filled. Service there was uneven and buffet items were limited, or they ran out. I felt it was a very nice place to stay for a rest (or golf) during their off season. If the hotel was full, I think the restaurants would have a problem keeping up.

Room Tip: We had room 2. It was beautiful and very quiet.
1 Thank peachyviews
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We just took advantage of their fantastic deal of 2 rounds of golf and 2 nights at the Lodge.$750 for two people!
Beautiful room with Ocean views fantastic golf on The Seaside and Plantation courses.Both very enjoyable. A caddie was very helpful for Seaside but not necessary on Plantation so glad we did without.
Plenty to do in the area from shopping to sightseeing. Very expensive to eat in the Lodge but there are plenty of local restaurants close by. We splurged at night but found inexpensive places for breakfast.
The staff were friendly and helpful. Cloisters is about 3 miles from The Lodge but they run a shuttle bus . Glad we stayed in the Lodge as both golf courses are right there.We also found it more intimate than Cloisters which is HUGE! Not really for young kids though as all the facilities,pool etc are at Cloisters.
We did a similar trip to Kiawah Island last year but preferred this resort as there is much more to do in the local area.Will definitely be returning for this deal next year!

bqk
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

My fiance planned my birthday on Sea Island as a weekend for just the two of us. We are locals so we wanted the experience, I guess you could say. We stayed at the Cloister that provides very lavish lodgings and service is exceptional. We took the shuttle to the Lodge for some views and supper to change things up a bit. We waited at the Oak Room door for 5-10 min and finally sat ourselves. Once at the table, another ten min went by and no "how are you this evening", "can I get you a glass of wine", or even a menu... this is Sea Island, the purported pinnacle of upscale service and history known worldwide.

Now I know this is probably the only negative review on this establishment, but when you already have over 3000$ on our tab for the weekend, you would think a little extra mile service would come into play. Like I said, we are locals, and I can get us better service, say at a huddle house. My fuse ran short because she wanted a nice weekend for the two of us, and we were totally let down by our own five star resort in our own back yard.

I can't speak on the Cloister enough though, as the stellar service and smiles are abundant!!!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank joelcody
albuquerque, NM
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I just wanted to give everyone a head's up that I will be reviewing a property, that if you are like me would be a place you could never afford. However, once a year, my two sons, a son-in-law and I travel to a golf resort to play 72 holes in two days. We have been to Scottsdale, AZ, Austin, TX, Las Vegas, NV and now Sea Island, GA.

I will let you all know about the accommodations, food, the courses and more as soon as I return.

I gave The Lodge a five star rating just so I could post this. I will either leave at five start or lower the rating after my visit.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
#2 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#6 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island

Been to The Lodge at Sea Island? Share your experiences!