“Great Place to stay”

Sea Palms Resort & Conference Center
Griffin, Georgia
“Great Place to stay”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The guest suites at Sea Palms Golf and Tennis Resort on St. simons island are a great place to stay. Rooms are beautifully furnished and in a great location for all other activites on St. Simons Island.

Room Tip: I like a ground floor unit becasue it is close to car. There are elevators for upper level units.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Woodbine, GA
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had our daughter's wedding at Sea Palms in June, 2013. It was a great venue for the outdoor garden ceremony, pre-reception cocktail party poolside, and banquet room reception. We had the wedding package with wedding coordinator/director for the whole event. The wedding planning was over a year's length of time, so we were directly involved with Sea Palms and the wedding coordinator for a year. The staff was extremely helpful, professional, and went out of their way to make this the "wedding of dreams". We were very pleased with the service, venue, friendliness, and assistance on all accounts.

The only negative comment to make was regarding the handicapped rooms. Grandma needed a handicapped room, and the handicapped building was located the furthest away from the parking, so it was a long walk down the sidewalk to the building for someone with a walker or cane or difficulty walking.

All rooms had a beautiful view of the marsh. We had 27 rooms occupied for our wedding, with all types of rooms reserved. We received positive comments from several people on their rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MotherofBride_13
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2013

First off, I have visited Sea Palms for a Board Retreat in the past and it was wonderful but this time I was there for a FAM tour of planners and I was blown away. The accommodations were wonderful, the food was out of this world (Chef Matthew was an excellent find for them), and the activities they set up were tremendous (the Shrimp Boat Tour is a must for anyone single, married, family, whatever)....my wife joined me to celebrate our anniversary early and we had a marvelous time. Also, the staff was very on top of things....especially Viktor (I never asked for anything - he always had it there)!!

Go see for yourself!

Room Tip: We had one of the Marsh View rooms....very nice to wake up to in the morning (got to see a raccoon p...
2 Thank Mark D
Valdosta, Georgia
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I was so disappointed in how this hotel was represented online from the beginning, however I tried to have a positive attitude so our trip would not be ruined. The pool was satisfactory for my children. The last night a roach joined me in the bathroom and I was horrified. Then, the very next morning (our check-out morning) my nine-year old daughter showed me BITES on her torso and stomach which we believed at the time to be bed bug bites. We packed up immediately and left. I showed the desk clerk but the manager was not present. Since returning home, we have seen a doctor and it is unclear whether she was bitten by bed bugs OR contracted scabies but she definitely has a skin mite (which bed bugs and scabies both are) and is receiving treatment for the rash. The manager, Rebecca, has dodged my phone calls and emails and only once when I have spoken to her has refused to refund my money for our stay. I am so livid. I have had to wash so many clothes and destroy our luggage because I do not know how to handle this situation. On top of it all my daughter has dealt with anxiety over this during her 10th birthday week. I can't even believe this happened. RUINED trip, and no compensation or sympathy from the hotel or the manager. I will not forget it nor will I let Sea Palms forget it. :(

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Carmen S
SeaPalmsRebecca, Manager at Sea Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
We are so sorry to hear that our guest had a disappointing experience. Please note that the resort takes such reports very seriously. A professional inspection was conducted, resulting in a pest free certification. We extend our sincerest apologies. -Doug Winters, General Manager
Reviewed July 2, 2013

On our way from Florida to North Carolina we made a two days stop over at this very charming Resort. Room was sufficient, beds where very good and the room was quite with a nice view to a little lake with gators and ducks. Service in the breakfast room was very friendly and tried very hard to make us happy. The Food was OK.
Happy Swiss Traveller

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the little pond and Golf course.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GA
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Sea Palms Resort may have been a nice place 30 years ago. Now it is run down and dated. The room I stayed in had a dishwasher and range from the late 70’s. The cabinets in the kitchenette looked like they were from the 80’s. They had a large entertainment center for a small 18” tube style TV. The bathroom was also dated. The shower head was stained green and very wobbly. There is no view to speak of. It is not bad if you like looking at mud and/or grass. I guess it was better than looking at a building.

The second day we were there we were out of the room by 0800 and got in about 4:30 pm. The room had not been touched by the cleaning staff. I called the front desk and the clerk said they could send someone right over. I told him not now because we had just got in and wanted rest a little bit. I told him we would leave around 5:30 so they could clean. He told me he did not know if it would get cleaned since the cleaning staff leaves between 5:30 and 6 pm. Luckily they showed up right at 5:30 as we were leaving.

The conference center is also outdated. They have 3 classrooms that open up to one large room. The partitions are so old they do not muffle any sounds between class rooms. You can sit in one class room and hear everything in the next class room. It did not appear the staff was well organized. They would have someone clean the bathrooms at the most inconvenient times, ie. during meals and class breaks. I would have thought they would clean the restrooms before or after scheduled events.

Don’t let their very good marketing and “doctored” pictures fool you. It is NOT as nice as the website or brochures look. I expect a lot more for $130 a night.

1 Thank crash0473
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The resort is on the marsh, but offers complimentary beach access passes. The staff makes up for the fact that the resort is in need of a little TLC. There was a little bit of noise bleed from the upstairs occupant, but the bed is comfortable and if you're a heavy sleeper, it wouldn't matter much. They do have many 1 bedroom suites with full kitchens on property, which are great for families or extended stays. And lastly, they have a new chef who appears to be quite talented. The resort is a good value for a St. Simons Island stay.

1 Thank labeakley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
Best Western Plus St. Simons
Best Western Plus St. Simons
#6 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Ocean Lodge
Ocean Lodge
#5 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's Island
Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's ...
#10 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#7 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to Sea Palms Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!