“Interesting - needs a little work”
Review of Epworth By The Sea

Epworth By The Sea
West Palm Beach, FL
“Interesting - needs a little work”
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I would stay here again. However, I don't mind old Florida motels. Decor, if you can call it that, is early 80's and the mattresses have the springs to prove it. No pillow-tops here! This is a Methodist compound, though no one bothers you in that way, and you can tell this lodging is purely utilitarian.

But the efficiency was roomy, bedroom separated from living room/tiny kitchenette by bathroom, a strange set-up but we liked it as it kept noise down. Peaceful place, grounds are pretty, lovely sunset. We stayed in the Robertson Motel b/c it had the fridge & stove (no micro). Location was fine as we had a rental car, it only took 5 or 10 min. to drive anywhere. However, if you really want to be in the main part of town, you need to stay near pier village. Those hotels cost a lot more than Epworth when I priced it.

I agree with other posts I read and definitely would not stay on Jekyll Island, unless maybe at the fancy Jekyll Island Club Hotel. It's pretty and rural but there is no main area for restaurants or any activities. Totally residential.

If you like fancy, you will dislike Robertson Motel at Epworth.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank JupiterFarmer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Sandersville,Georgia
Reviewed September 3, 2008

I will stay here whenever I visit St. Simons Island. My fiance and I stayed at Epworth's Turner Lodge over the Labor Day weekend. It was peaceful and quite. The room were clean, the bed were comfortable and the view from our room's third floor balcony overlooked the Frederica River. The view was serene and beautiful. We ate some of our meals at Epworth's cafeteria. The food was good. On Sunday for dinner they served primerib. It was moist, juicy and cut like butter. Friendly respectful staff too. We were very pleased with our visit.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank oreo456
Reviewed June 27, 2006

I have to be in St. Simons semiannually for business. This year was the first time I took my family in the summer. I started looking for a place on the internet 3 months before arriving. I first thought of a condo but during the summer the rates are weekly and we were only planning on staying 4 days. I came across EBTS on Tripadvisor after already having booked a room with less than stellar reviews. I have two young boys who hate to be stuck in a hotel with absolutely nothing to do. I found the rate low upon first glance but because of the good reviews for family vacationing I decided to risk it. When we arrived we were quickly checked in by the security guard (we arrived in the middle of the night.) The room was clean not 5 star but with my kids I'd rather it be homey and comfortable. There was never a time when we were bored. The beach was very close and in the evenings they played frisbee in the green space and took advantage of the three playgrounds. For my husband and I there were the amazing views of the Frederica River and sunsets right from our room. The staff was so friendly and more than willing to help. I would without a doubt stay there again. The only thing I will do differently next time is we'll get a two room suite in the new Abbott Turner Building for some nore room with the boys. EBTS was amazing!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2006

The only reason I am not rating Epworth By The Sea as excellent is that their hotel rooms were not 5-star. I stayed at Epworth several times as a Church Youth and then as a Church Youth Leader. When I was assigned to a client's project with a ridiculously low per diem rate in Brunswick, I called Epworth. They were quite honest about their hotel rooms - limited TV stations, walk-in showers, no tubs, not the latest furniture styles - and their policies - no liquor or smoking on the grounds. I stayed there 2 nights (Sun/Mon) a week for about 3 months.

It was not youth camping season, so the grounds were almost deserted most of the time. I could return after dinner and stroll the grounds feeling safe. Sometimes I bumped into their roving security. I also saw lots of rabbits, birds, and the life in the marsh. Saw deer a few times.

The guys who were working on the project 5 days/week stayed 4 or more to a room in Brunswick so that they could afford to eat dinner at a restaurant every other night. They were jealous of the fact that I ate out at a really nice restaurant every night. But they could not live without their liquor and cigs. I had wine with dinner most nights.

Although the rooms were not up-to-date, they were clean and functional.

Epworth By The Sea was the perfect solution for my situation.

• Stayed May 2003, traveled on business
7 Thank JJTJBQ
Reviewed June 10, 2004

Most people go to the mountains for vacation, but living in the mountains, I want the beach. A family of 6 has a hard time finding places big enough (especially when the kids are too young to stay by themselves and a vacation is family time not time to be split into separate rooms). Epworth by the Sea has been our place of choice for many years. My husband has fond memories of this place from when he was a child.
The people are kind, caring and considerate. We have been there when tragedies struck our extended families back at home. The staff went over and beyond the call of duty. We were also there when our vehicle was hit of the causeway and we were stranded with no way to travel. The staff again came to the rescue.
Our children look forward to our vacations each summer because they love this place. It is like home away from home.

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 18, 2004

One of the best family and couple vacation spots in the United States. Reasonably priced, historic value, location in relation to St. Simons Island, Jekyll Island, Sea Island and Brunswick is unbeatable. If you have kids, this is THE place. Swimming pool, tennis courts, large bicycle-riding-area within the compound and outside. Rent an efficiency apartment and fix some of your own meals; nearby shopping center has a good supermarket and the nearby seafood supply place offers both prepared meals and a variety of seafood. From Epworth, you can explore St. Simons Island easily by car or bicycle. Accomodations range from efficiency apartments to motel-type rooms to luxury rooms overlooking the Fredrica River. We've been going to St.Simons/Jekyll for twenty-five years. We've taken family members, kids, grand-kids. All have had a marvelous time at Epworth, at the beaches, at the downtown pier, and at the four- and five-star restaurants. Some years we have rented a beach house, but Epworth is always at the top of our accomodations list. Great for a day trip (we've done that), for a week, or for a month.

26 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
W MELBOURNE
Reviewed March 9, 2004

I have gone to Epworth By the Sea the last two years with our church youth group. Even though it is a 6 hour drive, we plan to go back. The facilities are excellent and the staff is very supportive. They handle groups as well as individuals. The facilities are owned by the Methodist Church, but they welcome groups from other denominations as well. The atmosphere is excellent. The location is out of the way, but not that far from I-95.

20 Thank GLENN T