“A wonderful place to stay”
Review of Epworth By The Sea

Epworth By The Sea
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed in their cheapest room because I had to be there 2 nights for some meetings in Brunswick. My room was spotless, had wifi, cable TV and a good bed. The outside of the area I stayed in was also spotless and the setting is amazing. I was there alone but felt very peaceful and told my husband that when we go back to St. Simons Island, I want to stay at Epworth again.

Room Tip: I stayed in the oldest part of the place and in the cheapest room and it was spotless.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank lbmgator

Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stayed at the Epworth By the Sea Conference & Retreat Center, St. Simons Island, Georgia. I was on business for the Singles Enrichment Retreat 2011. It was a spiritually uplifting x-perience.

My room was comfortable, the food was enjoyable and the scenery on point.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Xquizit
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Let me preface this review by saying that the rooms are old and BASIC. For the price, however, you can't beat Epworth, especially when traveling with a family. The two-room suites in the Reynolds section were perfect for our family of four, and at $94/night, the price can't be beaten! The grounds are lovely; quiet, mysterious, and walkable. My children particularly enjoyed the stained glass windows in the tiny belfry prayer chapel and the status of Jesus in the garden. The 30-minute church service at Lovely Lane Chapel was nice, too. If you go to Epworth expecting luxury, you'll be disappointed. If you know the rooms are basic but that the atmosphere is quiet, friendly, laid-back, and family-oriented, you'll be happy with your stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank fredandkell
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Beautiful grounds and great food. Very clean but could using updating.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Mark R
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We stayed in Abbot Lodge, probably the most modern of all the facilities (but I haven't seen any of the other buildings). It is the one pictured on the waterfront. It's a lovely building; I think all of the rooms have private balconies on the water side. The rooms are very quiet with no heating/cooling unit fan providing white noise. I highly recommend this building.

Room Tip: Ask for Abbot Lodge.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank TigerLily203
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I booked this room based upon the reviews on trip advisor. Everyone raved about how beautful the grounds are. I must agree the complex is situated on a very pretty piece of property but I was wery disappointed by my room. I felt like I stepped back in time and entered a late 1960s beach motel. I stayed in the Reynolds Apartments and I was disappointed from the moment I opened the door. They said it can sleep 6 but we felt so cramped. Even the kids said they would have had rather camped than to stay there. The beds were hard as a rock! The kids slept on the pull out sofa and they said it was also very uncomfortable. Also it was a mess taking a shower because the shower head sprayed out over the curtain wetting the bathroom floor. I didn't complain to the front desk I guess I should have. The front desk staff was very nice and the grounds were clean. Also the room was clean and bug free those are the only real positiveb I can give Epworth by the Sea.

• Stayed: April 2011
5  Thank reeseysmom
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Every July, for the past three years, my wife and I have traveled to St. Simon's for a retreat at Epworth. (Hence the Leisure purpose of the trip... technically I suppose it is really business since I am a pastor and it is a pastor's school that we attend)

Epworth-By-The-Sea is indeed "A Great Place to Be!"

The first year we stayed in the Reynolds Motel. It was clean and very utilitarian in its features, circa 1960's or so, it had two full size beds and little else but since it was a retreat we figured what the heck.

The last two years we have stayed in the Pitts/Booth motel and it is quite a step up from Reynolds. I would classify Pitts/Booth as more of a Days Inn circa 1980 feel. Clean rooms, comfortable (not dreamy) beds and basic amenities (ironing board, 19" remote TV, telephone, and ICE COLD a/c).

We are considering staying at the Turner Lodge in the future, with a lobby and inside entrances to the rooms I suspect that it is an exceptional value with above average accommodations for a retreat setting.

We usually go down a couple of days before the retreat and make a mini vacation out of the trip. The food in the dining hall is quite good although seating is pretty much where ever you can find a seat, with whomever may be sitting at the table. We found the front dining room to be a bit more cozy although at the time we have been going it gets quite noisy with all the campers dining too (NOT a problem, just felt you ought to know).

The view of the marsh and the Frederica river are spectacular and the sunsets are gorgeous. Epworth is a nice bicycle ride away from the Village of St. Simons (3.5 miles, very flat, and a nice wide sidewalk on which to ride). The beach rivals any in Florida (in my humble opinion, and there is plenty of fine dining to be found all around (both on the island and the mainland).

Any time I plan to travel to St. Simons, Epworth-By-The-Sea will be the place I look to for clean, comfortable, quiet rooms at an economical price. In fact I am wondering if I really want to post this review, I sort of hate to let the secret out!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business