“Beautiful grounds”
Review of Epworth By The Sea

Epworth By The Sea
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Beautiful grounds and great food. Very clean but could using updating.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Mark R
There are newer reviews for Epworth By The Sea

Reviewed February 3, 2012

We stayed in Abbot Lodge, probably the most modern of all the facilities (but I haven't seen any of the other buildings). It is the one pictured on the waterfront. It's a lovely building; I think all of the rooms have private balconies on the water side. The rooms are very quiet with no heating/cooling unit fan providing white noise. I highly recommend this building.

Room Tip: Ask for Abbot Lodge.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank TigerLily203
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I booked this room based upon the reviews on trip advisor. Everyone raved about how beautful the grounds are. I must agree the complex is situated on a very pretty piece of property but I was wery disappointed by my room. I felt like I stepped back in time and entered a late 1960s beach motel. I stayed in the Reynolds Apartments and I was disappointed from the moment I opened the door. They said it can sleep 6 but we felt so cramped. Even the kids said they would have had rather camped than to stay there. The beds were hard as a rock! The kids slept on the pull out sofa and they said it was also very uncomfortable. Also it was a mess taking a shower because the shower head sprayed out over the curtain wetting the bathroom floor. I didn't complain to the front desk I guess I should have. The front desk staff was very nice and the grounds were clean. Also the room was clean and bug free those are the only real positiveb I can give Epworth by the Sea.

• Stayed: April 2011
5  Thank reeseysmom
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Every July, for the past three years, my wife and I have traveled to St. Simon's for a retreat at Epworth. (Hence the Leisure purpose of the trip... technically I suppose it is really business since I am a pastor and it is a pastor's school that we attend)

Epworth-By-The-Sea is indeed "A Great Place to Be!"

The first year we stayed in the Reynolds Motel. It was clean and very utilitarian in its features, circa 1960's or so, it had two full size beds and little else but since it was a retreat we figured what the heck.

The last two years we have stayed in the Pitts/Booth motel and it is quite a step up from Reynolds. I would classify Pitts/Booth as more of a Days Inn circa 1980 feel. Clean rooms, comfortable (not dreamy) beds and basic amenities (ironing board, 19" remote TV, telephone, and ICE COLD a/c).

We are considering staying at the Turner Lodge in the future, with a lobby and inside entrances to the rooms I suspect that it is an exceptional value with above average accommodations for a retreat setting.

We usually go down a couple of days before the retreat and make a mini vacation out of the trip. The food in the dining hall is quite good although seating is pretty much where ever you can find a seat, with whomever may be sitting at the table. We found the front dining room to be a bit more cozy although at the time we have been going it gets quite noisy with all the campers dining too (NOT a problem, just felt you ought to know).

The view of the marsh and the Frederica river are spectacular and the sunsets are gorgeous. Epworth is a nice bicycle ride away from the Village of St. Simons (3.5 miles, very flat, and a nice wide sidewalk on which to ride). The beach rivals any in Florida (in my humble opinion, and there is plenty of fine dining to be found all around (both on the island and the mainland).

Any time I plan to travel to St. Simons, Epworth-By-The-Sea will be the place I look to for clean, comfortable, quiet rooms at an economical price. In fact I am wondering if I really want to post this review, I sort of hate to let the secret out!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank bigdouga
Reviewed June 10, 2010

I have been coming to Epworth since my son was a child it was our Spring Break retreat. It is a place that has it's special charm throughout the year. In the past professionially I worked with women and we used the site as a retreat for them and myself. No matter when you visit the area has a unique ambience. Whenever I return to my "special place" get away and think I am assured I will come away from yet another adventure. The four and a half hour trek from Atlanta is nothing!.
Upon my return entering the gate is like reconnecting with an old friend. In August 2009, I just needed to get away from family ,work so I jumped in the car and found the peace I needed to regain. I even saw two dolphins mating !
Yes, I would recommend this Spiritual retreat to you because you can come to be alone for awhile and then chat with a new friend at mealtime! Your choice.
Everyone is welcome. The staff is great!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Bunny1954
Reviewed February 26, 2010

This is a United Methodist retreat center but available to individuals as well as groups. We stayed as guests/leaders of a women's retreat. We were in the Pitts-Booth building which is 70's/80's era motel style rooms. Well kept and nicely appointed, our room had 2 queen beds, tv, iron & ironing board, a/c. We were quite comfortable. However, the only thing I missed was hairdryer - we found one at the local Wal-Mart. As part of the retreat we had the meal plan which was nice - food was served buffet style and well prepared compared to some of the church related retreat centers. In addition to the buildings we stayed, there are more recent and upscale accommodations (Arthur Moore Center) and the flipside of that is the lower end 50's era motel/apartment accommodations. All are well kept and comfortable - just depends on what you want to spend. The grounds are nicely maintained and peaceful - located on riverfront property. There are meeting areas of various sizes and purpose. We were in the largest, the Strickland Auditorium - which is somewhat dated (40's/50's era) but good space. All in all - a very nice place to retreat or meet.

Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank OfChorus
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I would stay here again. However, I don't mind old Florida motels. Decor, if you can call it that, is early 80's and the mattresses have the springs to prove it. No pillow-tops here! This is a Methodist compound, though no one bothers you in that way, and you can tell this lodging is purely utilitarian.

But the efficiency was roomy, bedroom separated from living room/tiny kitchenette by bathroom, a strange set-up but we liked it as it kept noise down. Peaceful place, grounds are pretty, lovely sunset. We stayed in the Robertson Motel b/c it had the fridge & stove (no micro). Location was fine as we had a rental car, it only took 5 or 10 min. to drive anywhere. However, if you really want to be in the main part of town, you need to stay near pier village. Those hotels cost a lot more than Epworth when I priced it.

I agree with other posts I read and definitely would not stay on Jekyll Island, unless maybe at the fancy Jekyll Island Club Hotel. It's pretty and rural but there is no main area for restaurants or any activities. Totally residential.

If you like fancy, you will dislike Robertson Motel at Epworth.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
#2 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#7 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island
Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's Island
Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's ...
#10 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to Epworth By The Sea? Share your experiences!