“Sightseeing”

St. Simons Lighthouse Museum
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Interesting to step back in time & get a bit of history of lighthouses & St. Simons. Climbing to the top of the lighthouse was a good view of the island for pictures. Staff @ lighthouse & museum were very friendly. Also you get to to check out the Maritime museum on the same ticket even if it on another day. Just save your bracelet.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I just love visiting this beautiful landmark and have some amazing photos of my dogs in front of the lighthouse. The location is awesome, there are beautiful water views and gorgeous grounds to explore all around. There is much to see and do in the direct vicinity. It's a quaint and lovely area of this beautiful town. Watch for festivals and cook-offs in the area as well, always fun!

There is no fee to tour the exterior area of the lighthouse. I have never been inside but I'm sure it is quite interesting, it's just that I always have my dogs with me, and they are welcome outside, but I assume they would not be allowed in the museum! :)

Reviewed August 23, 2013

The tour is $10.00 per person and a long long long hike to see....well the same view can be seen from the ground for free !!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

The beautiful St. Simons Island Lighthouse is located at the southern tip of St. Simons Island, marking the entrance into St. Simons Sound and warning of the many sandbars.

The original lighthouse was built in 1830 with a 70-foot tower. When Confederate troops abandoned the island in 1862, they blew up the tower and keeper's cottage, so they would not benefit Union forces. Funds were appropriated for construction of its replacement in 1867.

The new 104-foot conical lighthouse was lit on September 1, 1872. A cast iron spiral stairway with 129 steps leads to the watch room. It has a third order biconvex Fresnel lens. The lens is one of 70 such lenses that remain operational in the United States. The lens is fixed. Four flash panels revolve around the outside of the lens producing a bright flash every 60 seconds.

On the day of my visit, I had some question of how long it would take me to reach the top as I'm an older person with an issue with one knee joint, but I managed the climb with only two short rest stops. Once at the watch room, the view was worth the climb.

I agree with other reviewers in that it would have been nice to have info boards with facts about the lighthouse and its keepers. Plus, I also agree that there should be at least one docent at the top to answer questions and to make sure that all visitors don't have any problems during the ascent or descent. I belong to a lighthouse group that conducts open house tours 6 months of the year; and we have three docents on duty---one at the base; one in the watch room; and, one in the lantern room. Patrons get three talks during their visit . For the $10.00 fee charged here, something similar should happen.

The lighthouse, visitor center/bookstore, and Keeper's House Museum are well maintained.

The area around the gazebo is scenic. Take a few minutes to enjoy that.

And, to get the full money's worth, I recommend making the drive over to the Maritime Museum as admission is included in the lighthouse ticket. The climb to the top over there is much shorter.

In all, this is a “must see” as it is one of America’s iconic lighthouses.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Admission to the lighthouse is $10 per person, which really feels like too much for the experience. You climb the long, spiral staircase to the observation deck with nothing to read or look at along the way. As you would expect, it's a tough climb for most people, but some signage or fun facts along the way would make it enjoyable. The view from the top is nice, but the rail feels too low. I felt uneasy with my daughter up there -- yikes. We were told by the ticket seller that we needed to go straight up the tower because we were there at 4:25 and the tower was about to close. There are a few rooms decorated in period furniture and personal items that may have been similar to what the lighthouse keepers of the 1800s and 1900s may have used -- mostly donated and not many pieces connected to the lighthouse. To make this enjoyable, they really need to have a docent to give a guided tour. The staff was not friendly -- they seemed most interested in rushing us out the door so they could close up. There was a video playing in one room, but it was way too hot to sit and watch it (and who wants to watch a video that you could watch on tv?). My daughter was very disappointed.

1  Thank Blarneyfree