“Great location, but...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Savannah, Georgia
“Great location, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed here last week for 4 days over Thanksgiving. The location is absolutely perfect - right behind the lighthouse/beach and very close to lots of shops and restaurants. The staff were super friendly and helpful, and there were some nice amenities - free breakfast and Wi-Fi. I also like that the rooms are all different and you can choose your specific room online. However, I felt like the cost was a bit too high considering the overall experience. The rooms (and I can say rooms, plural, because we had to switch rooms due to broken heating) were out of date and needed some upgrading/remodeling. In addition to the broken heat, the room we were moved to had a broken mini-fridge and no closet. The rooms just seemed run down, like no work had been done on them in a long while. The hallways and the bedding in our first room also had a musty smell to them, and we couldn't get a Wi-Fi signal in that room. Choose this hotel for the location, not for the quality of the rooms.

Room Tip: Each room is very much individualized, so take that into account when choosing. And it's not jus...
Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heather M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

My husband and I travel quite a bit, and we have experienced complete dumps as well as the world's largest hotel. This small gem in SSI will be sure to amaze you. From the covered parking deck to the amazing staff (Tim is perfect!), we loved every second of our stay. We arrived for a fly-in a couple of months ago and stayed in the penthouse, which was by far better than anywhere that I have ever stayed. It beats Hampton, Hilton, Opryland Hotels, Westin, etc by a long shot! The second we got in the penthouse, we went downstairs to reserve a second night. Everything was spotless and I loved having our own private entrance. The balcony overlooking the lighthouse was magnificent and the AC works like a champ. We were already planning next year's visit before we left. The breakfast is YUMMY as well! Everything you could possibly need is in walking distance and the housekeeping staff is great. Before I could make it to the door to meet the guy bringing extra towels, he was there!! Stay here and you will be a forever guest!

Room Tip: Don't eat at the Fourth of May. They have a 72 health score!
1 Thank WoTideWo
Jacksonville, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Overall, a very nice, quaint 32 room or so Inn. It needs updating. Our room had the "little things" wrong that are the details difference between good and great. Things like missing light switches, electric outlets falling out of the wall, a rather large hole in the seam of the bed spread, and not a balance of appropriate hangers in the wardrobe. The location was great, as was the front desk clerk for most of our 3 day stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark E
Clemson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed here one night in November, 2013 and my experience at this Inn was excellent!

Location, location, location! If you're visiting SSI for the lighthouse, food and shopping, then this is, by far, the best location to be. The Lighthouse is directly across the street. The pier is an easy walk as is the rest of the village, just a couple of blocks down an easy, non-busy road.

There is easy parking underneath the Inn so it's completely covered while you unpack and take either the stairs or elevator up to the main, 1st floor. The staff upon arrival were very friendly and helpful. They have complementary ice water with lemons in a fun dispenser at the main desk which I thought was neat. Plus it came in handy later when I realized I didn't have a bottle of water with me in my room!

The lobby is very comfortable. There is a TV seating area and also a good number of tables to eat breakfast in the mornings. Their breakfast choices were wonderful.

I stayed in a 1st Floor room (Room 114). All of the rooms at this Inn are decorated differently as they are owned by different people. My room had tile flooring, 2 Queen beds, lovely artwork and a calming color scheme. There is a mini fridge and microwave in the large TV console. The beds & bedding were comfortable. There's a separate chair and luggage rack. This room connects to another room as well.

The bathroom is small but nice. Large walk-in shower but a low-flow shower head. I don't like that but some people might. :) The track lighting at the sink was too dim for me to see to put my makeup on. The towels were big & fluffy! I always love that.

The room was very clean and neat upon arrival. The vending machine (ice & drinks) was just a couple of doors down.

I DID have what I believe was a small paranormal experience, but my family thinks I'm crazy so I won't go into that! What I WILL say is I spoke to two staff members, separately, who both have had "interesting" experiences at the Inn.

I'm SO glad my cousin found this place for me to stay! The price of the rooms during this time of the off-season are EXCELLENT. I would choose this Inn over anything else I've stayed at in the area, and that includes the King & Prince Resort. This Inn provides easy access to the most popular things on the island with the comforts of being at home.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

We booked this hotel for a four night stay during the PGA McGladrey golf tournament at Sea Island. We were very pleasantly surprized at what a great property it turned out to be. It is within easy walking distance to everything in the village (a block or two). The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. When I had to receive a fax for business I went to the main desk and they gave me their number. After I received the fax I asked them to fax something back for me. Then I asked them to put it on my bill. They just laughed and said that there was no charge for little extras like that. Certainly not the response you get in most hotels. The hotel had complementry wireless internet service in the lobby AND the rooms which was really easy to access and which worked really well. Also the complementary breakfast was really exceptional bakery pastries rather than grocery store pastries. The room was large and clean. This is a long review but I was really surprized at how nice our stay was in this property at this price point. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Mooresville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

First visit to St. Simon's and the Inn was in an excellent location, with walking access to the village and waterfront. We stayed in the Penthouse and the accommodations were unsurpassed. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be back!

Room Tip: For a romantic trip, the Penthouse is superb. It is the only room with a balcony on the front of the...
1 Thank Bill G
Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Clean, Clean ,Clean, Great Room with window looking out at the lighthouse, walking distance to the pier village shops and restaurants. Was only there 1 Night because we had to be in Florida the next day or we would have stayed longer.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Simons
#7 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island
The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort
The King and Prince Beach and Go...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,166 reviews
The Sea Gate Inn
The Sea Gate Inn
#2 of 6 in Saint Simons Island

Been to Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse? Share your experiences!