“Nice, Quiet Hotel”

Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Reviewed February 22, 2013

What a pleasant surprise, quiet street location, quiet inn. Clean room & bathroom, comfortable bed, excellent staff. So neat that each room is different decor. Great welcome at the front desk, easy checkout. Only one item that is a bit off and that is the breakfast, same theme every day is all. Yes all fresh & good just not always into the carb load so did go for breakfast at some of the local restaurants & found them to be excellent, one the inn had the menu at the front desk. If a person is adaptable it is no problem at all because the inn itself rises above that. Item of info, stayed in Rm 202, the tv's volume went up & down on it's own to adjust, that was a bit odd. Definantly will be back to this place & would recommend.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We arrived at 9 p.m. on a Friday evening in February. The front desk person was very pleasant. We parked in the back of the building and went up the staircase that leads from the street to the interior hallways inside the building. We stayed in room 216. The door leading into the interior hallway from the street was next to our room and the door did not close by itself. It is the type of door that is supposed to close by itself, but it did not, so I closed it. This should be repaired as it poses a security risk to the guests. There were stains in the hallway.

The carpet in the room was stained with the worst stain being in front of the mini-fridge microwave combo. The bathroom had been remodeled but they had neglected to repair the wall where the toilet paper holder is located. There is a large sink in the bathroom but no counter space. There were three wicker stacking tables to put things on (the largest one could hold a small make up case). There was a small closet in the bathroom (none in the bedroom) with an iron and a table top ironing board in it. I put the tabletop ironing board on the dresser in the bedroom to iron a shirt, but there were no plugs in that room that were easily accessible, so I plugged the iron in the bathroom and when it was hot enough, took the iron to the ironing board to iron the shirt. This is when I found that the iron needed to be cleaned (or thrown away) because there was something on the surface that started to burn.

After the failed ironing attempt, I decided to check the mattresses. I routinely check for bedbugs wherever we stay, so I lifted up the comforter and the worn out sheets on one of the mattresses and was surprised to see what appeared to be a large blood stain on the side of the mattress cover. There was another small stain on the top of the mattress cover that also appeared to be a blood stain. I do not know if that is what these were, but that is what they looked like.

In addition to stains, both of the mattresses in that room are completely worn out. There was a thick, firm, foam mattress topper on top of each of the mattresses but we did not get any sleep that night because putting a firm topper on top of worn out mattresses is not the way to address the problem. The beds were terribly uncomfortable so no one slept. The comforters were also worn out and stained.

The continental breakfast the next morning consisted of Nescafe coffee and danish. Due to the Nescafe coffee, we ate elsewhere. We will never stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank peach92
Tim F, Manager at Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Let me start by apologizing for the experience that you had. I want to assure you that this is not "St. Simons Inn by the Lighthouse" standard. The information that you have shared has been documented and will be presented to the room owner. Please allow us the opportunity to make this right. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

By far one of the best places we've stayed at. We loved the room (106) and the staff was extremely friendly without being pushy.

Very convenient to downtown St. Simons. Really nice to be able to go to dinner without using the car.

You won't regret staying here when you've visiting St. Simons.

Room Tip: We've been in 103 and 106, both are lovely.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Tim F, Manager at Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Thank you for the kind words and thank you for the opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was very impressed with the hotel. My boyfriend reserved the room for me for my 50th birthday. He worked with the staff to go in before I arrived to decorate the room for my special day and the staff was very accommodating. When we arrived, everything was ready for us and the gentleman at the front desk welcomed us with a big smile. I spent the weekend with my sister and cousin and we had a great time! The staff was friendly and the Inn was very nice. Our room was furnished beautifully and it was immaculate. The Inn was convenient to all of the shops in the area and we were able to walk to most of the places we wanted to visit and it was only a short drive to other places. The area is beautiful and when we go back to St. Simons we will stay here again. I will definately recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 205 which had a balcony over the pool. It also had a huge walk in shower with dua...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

We are glad to hear that we were able to make your special day even more special! Thank you for the kind review.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I had planned a 50th birthday get together for my girlfriend to spend time with her sisters. The room was perfect and the knowledge of the island lead to an outstanding weekend. I deeply appreciate the insight and thoughtfulness of the front desk and hotel management.

It was a weekend she will remember and I do not think it could have been any better.

Thank you!
Russ

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Russ C
Tim F, Manager at Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you for the kind words and allowing the St. Simons Inn by the Lighthouse to be a part of such a special time.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Found this place through tripadvisor and booked it months in advance of our trip. Lovely room, great location and great view of the lighthouse. We felt like we were in a little treehouse (room 200) and loved seeing the lighthouse from our room. I love lighthouses so this was a plus for me! This inn is in walking distance to the Village which was great. We brought our bikes and rode all over. If you are going to SSI for the beach, then stay at one of the beachfront resorts down the road....but if you want to be close to bars, restaurants and the lighthouse then this is the place for you. Totally would recommend this to friends going to the area.

Room Tip: Room 200 for a view of the lighthouse. It is off of the elevator, but this being a small, boutique...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EllaLeathamDeaver
Tim F, Manager at Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Thank you for the kind words. We hope to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed three days at the St. Simons Inn and had a great time. It is conveniently located and we walked to the village for shopping and eating. Those working at the Inn were very accommodating, helpful and nice. Barbara at the front desk was the one I spoke to when making the reservation. While I was on the phone she even went down the hall to check out the room I was asking about so she could answer a question I had. Billie, the housekeeper, was careful to make sure all was just right for us with the room. Our trip was just what we needed for a break and we loved staying at the St. Simons Inn. We hope to have a chance to return.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank T-Fox5

We are always happy to hear stories about our staff treating our guests the way that they should be treated! Thank you for the kind words.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
Ocean Inn and Suites
Ocean Inn and Suites
#9 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Jekyll Island Club Resort
Jekyll Island Club Resort
#1 of 9 in Jekyll Island

Been to Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse? Share your experiences!