“A solid, enjoyable meal- worthwhile”

Catch 228 Oyster Bar & Grill
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: Catch 228 Oyster Bar & Grill on St. Simons IslandFeaturing Raw, Steamed, and Baked Oysters. Everyday from 4-6 PM 75 cent oysters. Also featuring Crab Legs as well as LOTS of other Seafood Offerings,soups, Salads,nonseafood, and MUCH MUCH MORE! Full Bar Available and Live Music
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have been to the catch a number of times. On this visit it was busier than normal . My son had their oysters (Frederica I think) He commented that they were very good and done as he liked them. I was not in the mood for seafood and had the chicken instead. OK but not a wise choice - it Would be my recommendation to stick with their seafood. We ate outside- the heaters did a good job of keeping us warm.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We've been to Catch 228 several times when we've visited St. Simons. It seems to be a local hangout and a great place to watch sports. We've never had a regular meal there, but usually get some beer and appetizers while we watch a game. This time we had the peel and eat shrimp. They serve jumbo shrimp steamed to perfection. We also had some potato skins for old time's sake. They were tasty!! There is a good sized outdoor patio, but it was so cold the night we were there that it had been abandoned by all! Catch 228 is a great place to relax and enjoy some sports.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

This was recommended from the hotel as a local seafood place. The bar was filled with locals, but nobody was eating food. I should have known.....

All the seafood on the menu was "Market Price" . The cost of the shrimp was at least 50% higher than I have been paying in other coastal "Tourist areas". The shrimp were smaller, and overcooked.

Service was horrible. We waited at least 20 min. before we saw a server. it only got worse from that. An "Oyster Bar" and they could not tell me where the oysters were from. When we got the oysters, the meat on each where less than the size of a quarter.

As a person that often travels the coastal area of GA, I would never return, or recommend this restaurant to visitors. My co-worker that was with me from the Midwest thought it was great. This might explain some of the good reviews of this place form tourists that don't know good seafood.

As a person that has lived on the east coast all my life (North and South), this is not where you want to eat seafood.

As much as I hate the chains, I would recommend Bonefish in this area. A sad comment.

Brad C, Owner at Catch 228 Oyster Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

I'm very sorry for your terrible experience. I meet and tr to explain to every server about where and what oyster they are serving. I really wish I would have been there and if this was at night I usually am patrolling the floor. I do buy actual Georgia whites. Which are wild Georgia shrimp which are almost double in price. And again I'm sorry they were over cooked. I hope that the server was told and it was voided. That's how I do things. I do appreciate the the feedback so I can work harder to fix things. I would love for you to give it another chance.
Thanks.
Brad campbell

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I enjoyed the music by the duo DeFunk that played Sunday night from 6-9pm. It was really nice to have an early evening with music and good food. I felt very comfortable snacking and listening on the outside patio. I ordered the seafood dip that was hot and cheesy with slices of garlic bread. mmm it was good. Thanks for the opportunity to indulge on a Sunday evening. Stella, SSI

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Great local place tucked in the very back of the Redfern village shopping center. They have a crazy happy hour ($6/dozen) steamed or raw oysters that keeps us coming back annually. Outside tables are nice if weather permits and they often have live music. This place is a "cant miss" for fresh, local food while on the island. If you're staying in Hampton Inn, walk through the back (by the dumpster) and you can walk there in about 3 minutes.

Service is a bit slow, which is fine because they're shucked to order, so be sure to order multiples if you're going to want more than a dozen.

1  Thank Jill H