“Still one of the BEST!”

The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort
Myrtle Beach, SC
“Still one of the BEST!”
Reviewed December 26, 2008

Stayed here over Christmas "08." Our location was in the main building. Great accomodations & view. Also, when we had an issue with a cigar smoker that came in on day #2, next to our second floor/balcony room, the front desk assisted and moved us away from Mr. Stink (it was really obnoxious) with no hitches. Actually, we were given a better room on the first floor with the same Oceanfront view.

Food was superb, quality brunch available every morning and the Christmas buffet (though overpriced @ 40$) was a big hit with the locals. Everything on the island was closed on Christmas Day excpet the hotel dining room, which was a bonus.

Forget the ones that complain about this hotel being outdated. Sure, the place is 75 years old and maybe a bit musty here & there, but they obviously have invested in their property and for being in the "old/historic" building we were very pleased at the amenities, the comfort of the rooms, modern tile bathroom floors, the absolutely friendly staff, the free Wi-Fi access, security of the property and quality of the food. Come on, girls, they had hair dryers that a salon only wishes they had (Con-Air 1875), MAX power.

We will return to the King & Prince!

• Liked — The relaxation we enjoyed during Christmas! Truly wonderful.
  • Disliked — The fact that a cigar smoker was allowed on the property. Ban cigar smokers!!!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KurtMyrtleBeach_SC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
Gaffney, SC
Reviewed October 22, 2008

My husband and I went to Saint Simon's Island for our wedding anniversary and stayed at the King and Prince. Just found it on the internet but was very , very pleased. We stayed in an oceanfront queen room... newly renovated with designer furnishings and linens. Very aesthetically pleasing... The hotel was first class from beginning to end with concierge service and a full breakfast buffet with made to order omelets. The pool area was very nice with wonderful views of Jekyll Island and a long beach to the other side. Very low key with an island feel. Swings bordered the paved walkway overlooking the beach. At high tide , there is no beach but these swings as well as the beautiful pool area , with it's sunning area complete with sand, more than sufficed. Everyone was very helpful... concierge service was a nice perk.
We loved the island as well - toured the lighthouse and took a day trip over to Jekyll Island.
If you go, you must eat at the famous Barbara Jean's down at the pier... it is excellent!

• Liked — Views- Island feel
  • Disliked — liked it all
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scchicklovestotravel
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed October 14, 2008

We recently stayed at this property for a three night wedding trip. I have nothing but glowing things to say about:

1) The Service: Every staff member we met absolutely went out of their way to be friendly and helpful.

2) The Location: Saint Simon's Island is one of my favorite places, and the King and Prince is situated perfectly for easy access to downtown and the main parts of the island. Also, you are right on the beach and you can't beat that.

3) The views. The view from our oceanfront villa was perfect.

The one area that needs to be addressed to make this stay flawless, is the room.

While the room had new furniture, everything else hasn't been touched since the 1980's. The carpet was stained and bunched up in areas. The bathroom had a very old and noisy fan, with dirty tile grout on the floor, and banged up sink and walls.

If this room had a modern bathroom and kitchen, and some new carpet, tile, or wood floors, it would be as close to perfect as you can get.

• Liked — Staff, Location, Pool
  • Disliked — Dated room flooring, fixtures, and bathroom.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank thegov
New Jersey
Reviewed October 8, 2008

Spent two days there in oceanfront room. Recently redecorated and quite large. Pool area delightful. Not too much room to enjoy the beach but it was a little cool for Oct.
Would go back again.

• Liked — room with proximity to ocean
  • Disliked — not enough to do
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marta123
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 8, 2008

I stayed here for a wedding which was held on the property overlooking the ocean. It’s a beautiful hotel, but I wonder if has once had its peak.
I shared a room with a girlfriend in the villas just next to the main building. The first night we had to change rooms at 1am because of ants in the sheets in one of the beds. The second room had no problems and this room didn't have the closet in the kitchenette as with the first room. Both rooms were decorated like Blanche Devereaux’s bedroom.

• Liked — Proximity to the water
  • Disliked — decor
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank erinrc
GA
Reviewed September 23, 2008

Accomodations:
The drainage in both bathrooms was a problem. Both of the sinks, the showers, and the commodes drained really, really sloooowly. For instance, taking a shower meant standing in about 3" of water, due to the slow drainage. Also, the ceilings in the bathrooms and hallways are very low -- about door height. I'm 5'7", and I could easily reach up and touch them. The ceilings were normal in the bedrooms and the living room, at about 8' in height. The hotel air ducts needed cleaning, because the air vents had blown black residue onto the ceilings in all the rooms, to a distance of about 1'-2'.
Security:
THIS IS A MAJOR CONCERN. Please be aware that there is public access to the beach through the middle of the resort grounds. There is a gate on the resort side, and a guest is supposed to have to insert their room card to get through. This supposedy is intended to keep guests safe, by keeping people who aren't staying at the resort out. Unfortunately, the lock on the gate was BROKEN. This allows anyone to enter the grounds, and loiter around the hallways directly outside of the guest rooms. That's what happened to me. I was on my way to the beach, when I passed by a man hanging around the hallway. I really didn't think anything of it, and went on down to the beach. After some time, I felt like I was being watched. I turned around and saw the same man. He had followed me down the beach. Several more times I moved away and he followed. At last, I looked at him a third time, and he quickly turned around and pretended to be interested in some rocks, then walked back toward the resort. I wanted to go back to my rooms, but I was alone and though the passageway was close, I noticed that there were overgrown plants more than tall enough to hide a grown man lining both sides of the walk. I called the front desk, told them what had happened, and asked them to send a Security guard to walk me back to my room. They were very understanding, but when the Security guard arrived, he acted like he hadn't the slightest idea why he'd been called. He did walk me back to the elevator, and casually pointed out to me that the lock on the resort-side gate lock was broken. Since they were aware, WHY HAD THE RESORT NOT DONE ANYTHING ABOUT IT??? I made it okay, but I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Liked — View of ocean
  • Disliked — Safety concerns
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Onlineshopper
Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed August 21, 2008

We were excited for our stay here after reading the wonderful reviews. Overall, the hotel is nice, room was fine, but I don't think this hotel really should be called a resort. The property has undergone a costly renovation, but the amenities are just not there to justify the cost of our ocean view room. ($275) The pool area was nothing special, there is a single tennis court in the parking lot and the beach offered no amenities. There were no towels down there, no beverage service...we paid for our 2 chairs and umbrellas and within 45 minutes they were cleared away when there was the slightest sprinkle. When we complained, we were told that the beach had to be cleared at that time. (5 pm I think) That would of been fine, but after a rainy day, many guests were trying to enjoy the beach once it cleared later in the day. After speaking with other guests at the pool who gave less than stellar reviews of the restaurant, we chose to forego a dinner there and eat in town.

• Liked — comfortable beds with nice linens
  • Disliked — lack of amenities
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
#2 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#6 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Jekyll Island Club Resort
Jekyll Island Club Resort
#1 of 9 in Jekyll Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
#4 of 9 in Jekyll Island

Been to The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!