“Terrible Opening Weekend Service”

The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We went for lunch at the outdoor terrace restaurant a week after they opened for the season, and while it is understandable that it may take staff a while to get back into the swing of things after opening for the season, our experience was unbelievably bad. There were about 6 servers on the terrace, and the manager was the only person who was doing anything at all. When we asked different servers for help many of them did not even verbally acknowledge us and simply walked hurriedly away. The food was less than average, and the bill was outrageous. I would be very wary about choosing this spot for lunch.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Bud S, Guest Relations Manager at The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for your unfavorable experience you encountered at the Ocean Terrace Grille here at the King and Prince Beach & Golf Resort. I am the Executive Chef and have been with the resort for the last 12 weeks and we are working diligently on making many improvements to our menu's and service. I am afraid although we have had many successes the last 12 weeks, we fell short with your experience and I would like you to know I take every comment constructively and appreciate your feedback. I invite you for a complimentary chef's dinner experience at your next convenience. If you would like to contact me to discuss the matters you experienced specifically or for future dining with us, my contact is below. Again, I apologized and thank you for your time and considerations.
Regards,
Jason Brumfiel
912-268-5968

Reviewed April 12, 2013

It was good place to stay, I stayed here for by business purpose.
liked the place and its location specially the sea area. very beautiful view of sun set and sunrise. I was there for 4 nights but was a nice experience. loved it!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Bud S, Guest Relations Manager at The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

I am so happy you enjoy your stay at the Resort. Thank you for writing this review and letting us know that you had a wonderful experience. Thank you again and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is an upmarket resort. We stayed in the "Historic Building" with beautiful ocean views. The room was very nice and comfortable with beautiful and very comfortable King size bed. They also have cabana rooms that open directly out to the ocean walk. Nice restaurant and great buffet breakfast. On Sundays they have "country style brunch". The staff where all great . This is a must if you are visiting this great Island

Room Tip: Historic section seems to have nicer rooms
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bud S, Public Relations Manager at The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the King and Prince. We are proud of our facility and are glad that you had a great experience at the resort. It is an honor to serve you and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

The King and Prince is an upscale "resort" property that has several types of rooms. We have only stayed in the historic building, it is convenient and the rooms we have had are very nice. Large, comfy and have free wi-fi. The buffet breakfast has a tremendous selection. But the best thing about the resort is the kid, dog and people friendly beach. During low tide it is very wide and very flat, great for walking, especially during the spectacular sunrises. We have stayed several times and will go back when we are in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

We would like to thank you for not only staying with us but for taking the time to write about your experience at The King and Prince. It is a real pleasure serving guests such as yourselves and we are grateful for your kind words concerning The King and Prince Resort. Thank you for your visit and come back very soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very nice facility. Cabana room opens directly out to the ocean walk about 30 yards from the ocean high tide. Low tide here widens the beach to a very smooth 100 yards!

Weather was brisk and windy in March. So, didn't spend much time on beach. Only downside to our 4 nights was the restaurant. They had, we were told, new staff which was "English challenged" and had some problems with our orders. Even so, the food was good and we took advantage of the modestly priced "early bird" supper.

We highly recommend this hotel for couples (choose the tower/cabana rooms). For families, any of the many room options would be great.

Room Tip: Tower or Cabana rooms right on ocean and QUIET.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time out to review The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort. The Cabana rooms and all our Ocean Front rooms are very popular with many of our guests since they provide an amazing view of the water. We are excited to be hosting a number of international interns this year, all of whom are required to speak English and they are improving their skills. Thank you so much for your review and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband made the reservations for us at the King and Prince. We stayed in the Oleander and he thought he had reserved an ocean view room from our balcony, perhaps I'm too short to see over the trees but there was no ocean view to be seen. Perhaps it was his mistake. The rest of the hotel was fine, but it was overcrowded as it was Spring Break. Parts of the hotel look a bit run down. Upon arriving I noticed several plaster splotches at the front desk and was questionable about the stay and price based on the look of the front desk, but it turned out ok. The views when you get them are great and the beach is terrific. The rooms are pretty decent in parts and terrible in others (hotel decor). Our first room was more than fine, but our second room (196) was spider infested (killed six spiders in two hours essentially causing all of us to sleep with the light on and one eye open). I complained upon moving into 196 that the shower wasn't draining properly and something seemed wrong with the sewage vents as anytime the water was on the smell of sewage was overpowering. They said they sent someone to fix it while we were out for dinner (stinky, grimy, and showerless because I couldn't see bathing in shower that didn't drain and standing in someone else's filth). Upon return the shower did drain better but water still pooled too much as I showered and on the upside the smell was gone. Some of the front desk folks were as sweet as they could be, but that brings me to my only complaint. The only complaint I have is about the service. It was pretty bad. The accomodations were fine and as far as cleaning of the rooms, ask for Sarah - she was a doll and did a great job. The guy on the beach renting chairs, Rob, also did a good job making sure he had us situated before he walked away. As for the rest of the service, I've had way better at way more inexpensive hotels. I'm from the South and I expect politeness all the time but especially when I'm paying for it, and I ultimately assume to get the best of that when travelling in the south. I'm pretty used to when I go somewhere that is based around a "vacation experience" getting waited on hand and foot and I'm willing to pay extra for it as well, as I'm a super generous tipper. I even tried tipping well from the get go ( 40% or more) so I'd get front of the line service every time - didn't happen. At one point we were left in the restaurant without even a drink of water for more than half an hour. We were one of three sets of guests seated, so there is no excuse for that. On that same day we arrived at the restaurant around two-ish and left around 4:40 ish. Here was my ridiculous request that took so long. Can you make my son a hamburger cooked well done to order served on no bread as he and I both have Celiac disease? It took over an hour and the guy coming back to my table several times acting confused. There was nobody in the resaurant as after working the bar in restaurants in college I know special request people should not be there at busy times, so I waited until the tail end of lunch. It ruined our time frames for our day. I ordered a sandwich sans bread and he told me it couldn't be done because they come pre-made so I ordered a hamburger too, well done. When I received this hamburger it was raw and cold in places. I never send things back in restaurants and felt I'd already "put them out enough" based on their behavior of me asking things be served with no bread. This was twice we'd received undercooked meat. My son ordered the prime rib the first night we were there and I expect prime rib to be cooked medium but this was rare and literally cold in places and bloody. That particular night I explained at the beginning of the meal we have Celiac disease so skip the bread baskets. I was served a salad with croutons. This type of ignorance in this day and age seems out of place to me with the semi yuppy halfway Whole Foods type clientele coming in the door. We ate one day at the outdoor snack bar by the pool. We waited longer than 35 minutes on our ticket during a slow time. At one point the lady beside me said, "I'd just leave if I were you" because she could hear I was having a hard time keeping my kids distracted while we waited. That was on the tail of super "scattered" and slow service. We tried from this point to avoid the restuarant as much as possible but with no microwave in our room that was difficult. With that said we are planning another stay when my husband is home on R&R from his deployment and we will pay the extra for a room with a kitchen and prepare our own foods. Also, I'd skip the breakfast package if I were you. We cancelled it halfway through the trip, one because there was little we could eat there (its a pretty much all pork carb and cheese breakfast) and two because it works out cheaper if you buy as you go rather than what they were charging me per day on my room charge for the breakfast. Make sure you go to store prior to arriving and get plenty of drinks. I was looked at like I was from another planet at the front desk because I was in search of bottled water as everytime I was in the lobby area the starbucks counter was closed and the drink machine in my building was out of order. The bottom line is that it just shouldn't be that hard for guests to have the bare essentials. There should be no hoop jumping nor ten minute waits in an empty bar area for to go cups of water. I don't expect five star service in a three or four star hotel but I don't believe I got three or four star service either with the exception of my housekeeper so I did leave her a large tip. It oddly seemed each time I needed someone's attention they were all filling out paperwork and it made me think they were all doing their "TPS" reports. A perfect example on my way out of St. Simon's we stopped at a busy restaurant and our waitress was pleasant and accomodating. When I said Celiac she slowed down and took the time to accomodate my son and was concerned enough to check between me and the kitchen as to what he could and could not eat. When I declined to eat as I was driving she tried to get me to eat something but I refused. Perhaps because I said I was driving she came back with a large to go cup fresh beverage for me as we were leaving and put a sweet note in with our check. Needless to say she got a huge tip. That was at a Ruby Tuesday's for goodness sake where I barely expect two star treatment. Needless to say, perhaps this was the beginning of the season and the staff at the King and Prince has not hit their stride nor worked out the kinks in the service department. It begs the question though, if these people are working a resort don't they know if they go above and beyond the clientele in there will tip through the nose to not be inconvenienced, so they are leaving huge amounts of money on the table? I will give them one more chance soon as my husband will be home on R&R from his deployment and that's where he wants to go. So, I guess this is a to be continued review...oh, and watch your bill as I'm pretty sure I got charged an extra night, but I will find that out on Monday when I speak to their accounting department.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your recent visit to The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort and specially for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor review. We do apologize for the challenges you experienced with your accommodations. A review such as yours allows us to address those areas and departments that need to improve so we continually provide the quality of service that our guests deserve. We have shared your compliments to Sarah and the Housekeeping Director as well. Thank you for your visit and your review and I am very sorry that your expectations did not go well as we both would have liked.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I expected a little more based on the property name and cost, but would recommend it for the peace and quiet. We babysat for a week while my daughter attended a workshop and found the 2 bedroom suite roomy with our beach views from the second floor. The kitchen was fully equipped with the basic-basic essentials altho time to replace all the teflon coating eaten over the years and steam clean the rugs. It is a sprawling property and very difficult to navigate through if you arrive at Night. Lighting is terrible so you cant see the numbers and the concierge was not helpful at all. Thankfully an elevator and luggage dolly available if you can find your building. Housekeeping comes daily and you better ask for whatever then because you will not see staff around. The indoor pool was a great touch as the weather was wet and cold. Grocery store is about a mile away and some restaurants within walking distance. None of the barbecues had gas to grill our steaks by the poolside and the beach cabana chairs were all rotted out.

Room Tip: Dont check in at night with lots of luggage and take the upper floors as lots of chair dragging abov...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

We appreciate your recent visit to The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort and for taking the time to fill out a Trip Advisor report. Our commitment is to improve the guest experience at The King and Prince and for that reason I am grateful for all your observations concerning your arrive and stay in one of our two villas. Be assured that your comments have been shared with the appropriate departments. We look forward to see your next visit when you can enjoy the results of our renovation project.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
Jekyll Island Club Resort
Jekyll Island Club Resort
#1 of 9 in Jekyll Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#7 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
#3 of 9 in Jekyll Island

Been to The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!