“Great Room, Great Staff, Great Food, Great Island!!”

The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
“Great Room, Great Staff, Great Food, Great Island!!”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Our short stay was wonderful and the resort was beautiful. The staff was wonderful and very friendly. The heated indoor pool was the best part because we were there in November and it was chilly outside. Would recommend this resort for a laid back relaxing stay!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I'm an author and busy public speaker, and because of my work, I get to stay at the very best hotels all over this country and others as well. This was my first visit to The King and Prince, and I have to say it was one of my favorite hotels ever. It's charming, well laid out, casual, beautiful, has a great beach, and very friendly, helpful staff. My family and I stayed in the Oleander building which is so convenient. Across the street from the main hotel, you can park right outside the building, and both our rooms were big and had great ocean views. The sunset was amazing. The hotel's room service food was really great. My adult daughter said the fries were the best ever. The breakfast was top notch, and dinner was really nice as well. The rooms were impeccably clean, and the workout facility was in perfect shape, also with immaculate rest rooms and new weights. The hotel occupies my favorite spot on the island, close to everything, with a great little barbeque spot a block away and just five minutes from the best barbeque place I've ever visited, Southern Soul. The hotel's dining areas are really beautiful. The lobby shop was great. I hope to visit as often as I can. It's a real home away from home, with the gracious ambiance of the past matched by modern convenience and southern warmth to the max!!!! I've read the few negative reviews and they make no sense to me at all. Do yourself a favor and try this great hotel.

Room Tip: The Oleander isn't on the beach, but has great ocean views. The main hotel is on the beach, but...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Lake View, Iowa
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed for a week in the Oglethorpe Building. In general the entire property seemed dirty and run down. The soffit outside our room was rotten and in need of repair. The decor is dated. Our room included a kitchenette but there were no utensils, bowls, plates or glasses so we had to go purchase plasticware to use. The only coffee pot was a Keurig that makes one cup at a time and requires a special type of coffee so we also had to go buy some of those so we could have coffee as we liked as they only included a couple of servings in the room. We also had to purchase bottled water as there was none in the room. The tap water was gross, it had a bad taste and smell. I was surprised there was no bottled water in the room...you get that at a 2 star hotel normally. Also, they serviced our room but didn't leave an extra roll of toilet tissue so I had to ask at the front to see if some could be brought to us.

Our room was a good size but the bathroom and dressing areas were small. Water pressure in the shower was low. The room was not as clean as it could have been. There was filth around the corners and baseboards, the bathroom grout was nasty looking. There was an in-room safe, umbrella, iron/board and hair dryer provided.

The lobby and general areas of the hotel also seemed dirty and in need of attention. The lobby furniture and walls were dirty. The ladies bathroom off the lobby smelled and was also filthy.

The indoor pool is oddly located in the main lobby area. They have attempted to camoflage it with potted plants but you would still feel exposed to everyone passing through the lobby. We never used it and during the entire week I only saw two people using it, even when it was raining. I noticed blobs of foam (?) sitting on top of the water and concluded it was probably as clean as the rest of the hotel.

There was a business center where we were able to check in for our flight and print our boarding passes, which was handy.

The property is located on a beautiful beach suited for walking and swimming. The outdoor pool area was small but seemed cleaner than the indoor pool. The outdoor grounds are beautiful and well-maintained.

This is not the high-end property I was thinking it would be and I would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank NatalieRM
Orlando
Reviewed October 16, 2011

I booked a weekend stay in a 2 bedroom ocean view villa based off of what I had read here on TripAdvisor. St. Simons Island is great, but I would not book here again. The condo was not all that clean to begin. The floors felt sticky for example. There were multiple dead bug sittings (although at least they were dead). In general the villa was in need of some repair and a lot of updating. Furthermore, we booked an 'ocean view' villa. We were given a first floor room (#117) and it I suppose had an ocean view if you count turning your head to the side and peeking through blowing trees to see the ocean as an ocean view. Also, this resort practically has ZERO beach. The tide comes up so high that there really is no beach, because the water/waves go directly into the rock wall that the resort is built up against. That said, while I won't be going back here I can say that St. Simons Island is definitely a worthy place to visit and we still made the best of our trip.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank CraigFTW
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 15, 2011

My stay at King & Prince Beach and Golf Resort was amazing. The view is magnificent from when the sun rises to when the sun sets. Just a few feet away from the Atlantic Ocean, you will often see a cruise liner from a distance. The rooms are fairly big and neatly cleaned. The service is what is expected on a 5 star resort. For dining, the buffet was full of choices, from seafood, chicken, steaks to all sorts of dessert. Peach cobbler, peach cake, peach ice cream...should i continue. I was happy to see Starbucks, that definitely started my day right. For lunch, i preferred having some finger foods and a cocktail from the outside cafe. The friendly staff made my stay at King and Prince Beach Resort worth while.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank SiLLyGooSe810
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Recently had my second stay with K & P. Have used the 2 BD villa and a double queen room in Oglethorpe Bldg. Both were nice and reasonably priced. Always a quiet place to vacation. Rooms are cleaned well and staff is friendly and attentive. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Oglethorpe room was a bit musty. North Villas are awesome.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Hilton Head, SC
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I recently stayed at the resort with a group of women golfers. Thirty six of us booked a package with the resort. Upon arrival, 8 rooms were in the Oglethorpe building and the remainer in the Oleander building. We all paid the same rate and the buildings differed dramatically. The Oglethorpe equated to a spartan cheap walk up motel with parking lot views and the Oleander was new, elegant with balconies overlooking the ocean. They had soaking tubs and we had a tub that did not drain after taking a shower. There was no air conditioning in the bathroom or even a full length mirror in the room. The closet was a pole in the kitchenette.
I did not see rooms in other parts of the hotel other than these two buildings, but I would be extremely cautious about booking here.
The management was uninterested in our complaints. The resort was not crowded during our stay and we were not satisfied with their weak explanation of why the 8 disgusting rooms were allotted to our group.
I would look elsewhere if I were returning to St. Simons.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the Oglethorpe!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
#2 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#7 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Jekyll Island Club Resort
Jekyll Island Club Resort
#1 of 9 in Jekyll Island
Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!