“just beautifully done”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Baltimore, Maryland
“just beautifully done”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

loved this hotel. a boutique luxury dream. every detail matters, they thought of the little things. every detail on the walls of the room was had painted. Bath salts, candles, matches. ., every little thing! breakfast was included in our rate and it was delish, skip the restaurant for dinner, slow service, mediocre chocolate cake, no show stopping entrees.... but the French onion soup was awesome.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mdrobins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Mooresville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

My wife found the Ocean Lodge on the internet and decided we needed to go and get away for two days. It was an awesome idea and the Ocean Lodge was an awesome place to do just that. We have traveled and stayed in many places but I will have to say this one ranks with the best places we have ever stayed. The detail and décor of the Lodge is just outstanding and there is no way I can explain it good enough. You just have to go and stay for yourself to appreciate all the Ocean Lodge offers. Our room was just so nice! The mattress was perhaps is best one ever and we even got the model number off of it to order for our house. There is not a huge number of rooms which made it nice because we never felt crowded like we do at most places. There is a restaurant upstairs and we had dessert there one night. It has to be good because both nights there were cars everywhere with people just there to eat. Breakfast is also included in your stay and was really good. My wife enjoyed the fresh scones every morning. One thing people might not like is the beach is across the street and you can not really see much of it from the room we was in but that didn't bother us.

Now for the island itself. I hate to brag to much about the island because I don't want to see it get to crowded but for us this island is the one place that reminded us of the Caribbean. People here just seem to take a step back and enjoy life. One of the best things about Ocean Lodge was that you are a bike ride away from seeing so much of the island. We spent all day riding around the island. The village is only ten minutes away on the bike with so much to do. Only staying for a short period with so many good places to eat we did something that we thought was fun. We picked three places one night and had a different course at all three places. First was an appetizer, second was dinner, and third was dessert. It actually worked out great because when we were done I didn't have that I ate to much and can't move feeling. One really cool thing we did was get up early one morning and you can walk onto what is a little island because of the low tide right across the street from the lodge. Just get back before the water raises though or you will be swimming. I could probably write a book about our two day visit. All I can say is go, visit, and enjoy life here!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CaribbeanSidewinder
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Beautiful building, check in process was pleasant. Room was breathtakingly beautiful. The smallest details were paid attention to and nothing looks out of place. The staff found out it was our honeymoon and provided free turn down service with chocolates and fruit... Bed most comfortable I have ever experienced in a hotel. Daily breakfast was very good and the service was also top notch. A few things to be aware of, you need to cross the street to get to the beach also the restaurant on site is not that good. It does however have beautiful views, I recommend vising the restaurant for drinks (ask what the daily specials are) and desert.

1 Thank Aaron P
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Good location. There is a beach. You just need to cross the street. You do need to wait until about 1:00 PM to use the beach because of the tide. You can also just walk about a half mile up the road, and the beach is much wider there. The free breakfast was very good. We were on the 4th floor. The air conditioning was great. The only problem was the bedroom air conditioner was separate from the main air conditioning. The bedroom air conditioner leaked. The living room actually got cold. You still need the bedroom air conditioner.

Room Tip: I read where people complained about the 4th floor because it was under the restaurant. It did not b...
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We arrived into St. Simon's for a 60th birthday party for our friend Lee. My husband and sister were the guests who enjoyed the hotel during our 5 night stay. My sister had never been to St. Simon's and she will be returning as the city is a wonderful place to visit and the hotel was a wonderful place to stay. We had great service from the staff, especially Jackie and Lee who worked the front desk and assisted in the morning breakfast, which were terrific, loved the fresh scones and blueberry muffins. The hotel is located in a perfect place to walk or enjoy the beach and not a long walk from the downtown area, which we walked a lot since it was July 4th weekend. The room was large enough to accommodate the 3 of us, especially with two bathrooms and a kitchen to have snacks available. Great amenities and the Loren who served us dinner on the rooftop and again at the party was unforgettable and made us all laugh. It was a great weekend had by all and would definitely pick the hotel again on a future trip to St. Simon's.

Room Tip: The staff will pick the right room for you to stay, they were great.
Green Features: I love the way that they don't change out sheets and towels on a daily basis, we can't get that dirty when we are enjoying the wonderful beach and amenities.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
charleston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

St. Simons Island is BEAUTIFUL !!! As we drove in from Brunswick, I had my printed map in hand and Ricky's GPS going. I like to see and get the lay of the land for directional purposes. As we crossed the causeway over to the Island, I found myself trying to look at the map and the scenery. I finally just put the map down and the GPS do it's job. All I could was just look around. We pulled up to the Ocean Lodge with it's spectacular view of the Ocean. We pulled in with the parking underneath and a friendly face greeted us with the complimentary valet parking if needed for the rooftop restaurant. We checked in with Anne, another friendly face who took us up and showed us our suite on the 4th floor. I thought to myself what a nice surprise and way to celebrate my Chemo finally being over. Our suite was beautifuly appointed, luxurious and CLEAN. We have a huge balcony and were sitting outside when it began to softly rain. The rain stopped and a huge rainbow appeared like a gift. We went to the roof top bar on the 5th floor and let me add you could not hear a sound from the bar over our heads from the room. Our orders were promptly taken and service was alittle slow as it was crowded. I enjoyed my Prince Frederick mussels and a salad while Ricky had the local eggrolls and a salad. We slept in a most comfy bed and woke up to enjoy a complimentary breakfast which was outstanding!! Everyone is very friendly and they love living here!

Room Tip: 4TH floor, end unit
1 Thank tinalovesthekeys
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Such helpful employees willing to go the extra mile and all were super nice. Great amenities and housekeeping services. Love the architecture. Also, food was great on the rooftop grill. Short bike ride to pier or beach parks. Will def stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Natalie229
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#6 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
#3 of 8 in Jekyll Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#3 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to Ocean Lodge? Share your experiences!