“Lovely Romantic Getaway”
Review of Ocean Lodge

Ocean Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We spent four nights here (one more than we had booked!) and it is one of the nicest places we've ever been. Like the other reviewers, we spent hours on our balcony enjoying the sea breeze, sipping margaritas and sorting out our shells. The rooms are terrifically well appointed and I felt like I was staying in a spanish castle. The bed, too, was enormous and comfy, and I'm picky. The staff were over the top friendly, true southern hospitality. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The highest rooms have the best view. The hotel is not directly on the beach, but a block back.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My fiance and I spent an anniversary weekend here, and what a beautiful place it is! The pictures really don't do it justice. Most everything is within walking/biking distance (bicycle usage is complimentary, btw). Our balcony faced the ocean (I think they all do), and it runs the entire width of the huge suite! Also, the made to order (and also complimentary) breakfast was terrific! We will definitely be back here again!

1  Thank Bill M
Reviewed July 14, 2013

From the front of the building, it certainly had no resemblance to the internet photo- as the first floor is parking. The pool is an absolute joke. The dining area reminded me of a Hampton Inn.
Extremely strange- not sure if this is meant to be a real hotel or B & B. Your only ocean views are on the top floors. There is no real beach.

Cannot understand how anyone can give this 5 stars, especially taking the prices into consideration.

Room Tip: Highest floors on ocean front.
6  Thank carolbrady01
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The desigin of this hotel has included every attention to details. It is magnificent! Such an attentive and thoughtful staff. Joe, the owner, Jackie, et. al. try to please you in every way! Words can't describe the uniqueness of this experience

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
1  Thank Dante123
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Bar none, the best hotel I've stayed at. Full disclosure, I'm not exactly a world traveler though I have stayed at my fair share of hotels. The location couldn't be better. Every day presents a perfect view of the ocean. You can feel the breeze, hear the waves and we found ourselves lounging on the balcony for hours.

Once again, full disclosure, my wife and I have a particular bias on this one. I casually commented while making my reservation that this was a late honeymoon for us. Unbeknownst to me, they made a note of it in the system. So when we arrived we were told "I have some good news and some bad news." After getting the bad news that my room wasn't available, we were told that we were being upgraded, free of charge, to the penthouse.

That being said, on with the review. All 15 rooms/suites in this hotel are the same size, 1000 square feet, and are furnished with real individually commissioned oil paintings and hand-picked furniture. The only thing that varies from room to room as far as QUALITY is concerned is the view. It gets better as you go up. Each room has it's own set of furniture which doesn't match any other piece in the place, really showing off the attention to detail and originality of the place. Also, everything is top-notch. I can tell a hack-job when I see it and no corners were cut in this place. Everything is extremely comfortable especially the bedding.

As far as the staff is concerned, here is the good and the bad. First, the bad: they need a little more. It's a small place so only one or two would do it for each shift. However, the staff that's there is absolutely wonderful. They're friendly and will address you by name. They demonstrate a clear desire to see that you're happy with your stay.

NOTE TO THE OWNER: Invest in your people. They are the life blood of your business and are amazing. The most beautiful and well appointed hotel in the world is worth nothing without a great staff. I hope you treat these people well and can find just a few more like them.

Also, regarding the owner, he only owns the one hotel and you may run into him, certainly a nice change from the Hiltons of the world.

Room Tip: All rooms have a good view. However, the higher, the better.
1  Thank Steve G
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We have stayed at the Ocean Lodge on several occasions and always enjoy. The rooms are spacious, the balcony has a great view, the staff is friendly and attentive, the breakfast is a nice touch and the overall experience is one that continues to bring us back. I highly recommend a visit.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We spent 5 days here and had a glorious time. Excellent example of generous accommodations with a unique character, as opposed to the assembly-line feel of the pre-cast, pre-furnished concrete high rise units offered by most chains. Huge bedroom, 2-baths, full kitchen and living room and furnished balcony with a bit of an ocean view (3rd floor). BEST OF ALL though, was the entire staff: warm, friendly, helpful and willing to go "the extra mile" (especially Michelle, as others have mentioned) at every turn. And, the included full breakfast was a nice bonus as well. Not inexpensive, but worth every penny. We look forward to showing up on their doorstep again.

Room Tip: As mentioned by others, the higher the floor, the better the view. But, there is a hefty premium inv...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#7 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Jekyll Island Club Resort
Jekyll Island Club Resort
#1 of 9 in Jekyll Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
#2 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
#3 of 9 in Jekyll Island
Ocean Inn and Suites
Ocean Inn and Suites
#9 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to Ocean Lodge? Share your experiences!