Ocean Lodge
Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's Island(Saint Simons Island)(Great Value!)
$150
Best Western Plus St. Simons(Saint Simons Island)(Great Value!)
$127
$118
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island(Saint Simons Island)(Great Value!)
$189
Home2.com
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse(Saint Simons Island)(Great Value!)
$159
The Inn at Sea Island(Saint Simons Island)
$197
Travelocity
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island(Saint Simons Island)(Great Value!)
$179
$170
Hotwire.com
Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center(Jekyll Island)(Great Value!)
$125
Orbitz.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
Ocean Inn and Suites(Saint Simons Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsrooftop restaurantmade to order breakfastfull kitchenacross the streetcomplimentary bikesjacuzzi tubbreakfast each morningfourth floorlarge balconyseparate bedroomour honeymoonthe entire stafffull moonthe penthouseliving areasouthern hospitalityget away
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I booked a stay at the Ocean Lodge for a romantic getaway based solely on the reviews I found on Trip Advisor. Because of this, I thought it only fair to give as thorough a review as I could for anyone who might find themselves in the same position. I knew nothing of the hotel or of Saint Simons Island, but I wanted to find a new place to have a few days away in a relaxing, pretty environment. In that regard, it did not disappoint. Saint Simons Island is absolutely charming, though I could see it getting a little touristy closer to the summer months. Our March visit was met with 70 degree weather and just enough people around to make it feel like a place to be without crowding us.

The Ocean Lodge is an interesting little hotel. There are just a few floors from which to choose and a restaurant and lounge on the rooftop. We opted for the fourth (highest available) floor to have the best possible view of the ocean. The view was partially obstructed by condominiums that stand between the hotel and the beach. There are rooms at one corner (the left corner, I believe) that offer a much clearer shot of the ocean, but you should know the hotel is not located directly on the beach. It is still very nice - you get a gorgeous view of the sunrise and can clearly see the water and hear the waves.

The rooms are very nice. There are two bathrooms, a full kitchen complete with dishes, glasses and silverware, a nice bar, even a dishwasher. There is a Keurig coffeemaker, though the K-cup selection was pretty thin. There is a balcony the width of the suite with sliding glass doors and a lovely table and chairs at which to sit and watch the water or just relax. The master bathroom has a jacuzzi tub and the front bathroom (or "his" bathroom, as they call it) has a stand-up shower. Great for couples traveling together. The bed is wonderful. King size, great pillows. The room itself is beautifully appointed and kept very clean.

The staff, from what I could see, consists of a handful of women - all lovely. Jackie, Gloria and Michelle go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and appreciated. Breakfast is served every morning as part of the room rate and you can sit and chat with these sweet ladies. By our third and final morning there, we were hugging them goodbye. The breakfast is made-to-order and very good. Pancakes, Eggs Benedict, fruit, great juice...very nice options available for an "included" breakfast.

They are short on a few amenities for a hotel in this price range. As I mentioned, the staff is pretty thin. You are on your own a bit, almost as though you were renting a small apartment. There is no room service. In fact, the restaurant is not open on Mondays, or at least Mondays during this time of year. Apparently, after April 1, they broaden their restaurant options. In fact, almost everything in Saint Simons seems to shut down early. Not sure if it stays that way during the summer, but be careful if you're the type who likes to eat dinner a little later in the evening on vacation - you could be short on options. There isn't much of a pool to speak of, though there is a wave pool available and a small fitness area.

All that said, we loved our stay at this hotel. It depends what you are seeking in a hotel and out of a vacation. If you are looking for loads of amenities, people running around to get you drinks, a big pool and lots of people, this is not for you. There is another place on the island that offers that type of stay that I won't mention here. But, if you are looking for something warm, personal and private, this is your place. The Ocean Lodge prides itself on its service and its lovely rooms, and it does not disappoint. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for the corner that has the clearest view of the ocean. The hotel is not directly on the beach, so there are rooms with obstructed views.
2  Thank Dorothy C
Reviewed March 21, 2013

What a delightful small hotel with a wonderful pleasant staff! The room was luxurious with even a full kitchen (we boiled shrimp one night while we watched our favorite North Carolina Tar Heels whipping Maryland). The rooftop restaurant presented excellent food, and the morning breakfasts had a nice variety of hot options. My wife preferred one "egg" benedict, loved the hollandaise, and I tried a different entrée every morning. The staff from the first greeting until the departing hugs made us feel like family. A real gem, this lovely spot.

Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Based on our extensive research on Trip Advisor, we were very much looking forward to our stay at Ocean Lodge. This is an honest review of our experience. We arrived at 2:15, met one of the employees, Jackie. She was extremely pleasant, informed us our room was not ready. We were fine with it, she said it would be another hour. We chose to have lunch in town, great pizza at CJ's. Upon returning we met another employee who was not as pleasant. She gave us the wrong time for breakfast (8-10, not 7-10 as she said), she gave vague directions to our room. The website prides itself on the outstanding service and even claims to have "Butler Service". Not really sure what this means as we had no one to help with our bags or show us to our room. The rooms really are grand, complete with two bathrooms, full kitchen and a large terrace. This is the high point of the Lodge and something we did enjoy. We explored the rest of the Lodge and met the hostess of the Rooftop restaurant. She asked some strange questions, wanting to know how much we paid to stay there. My husband and i have never been asked that of any hotel employee at any other place we stayed and it was very uncomfortable. Also, in regards to the Rooftop, the website states that it is open 5-10 on Monday. My husband and I got dressed for dinner only to find it closed. You should know that most restaurants on St Simons close at around 8:30. We were out of luck for dinner that night. Another thing that we found disappointing was the jacuzzi pool that was broken. The weather was chilly and we would have enjoyed spending some time there. Also lacking was the Fitness Center. This consisted of two treadmills and an eliptical, no weights or machines of any kind. It was also a makeshift storage room for the cushions for the outdoor furniture. We know this because we lugged them out ourselves so we could enjoy the sun. In terms of location, while the Lodge is about a 20 min walk to town, there is terrible beach access, as in none in front of the hotel. The view from our second floor room was a tiny piece of ocean as the condos that actually are beachfront almost completely obstruct the view. I will say we did enjoy the breakfast that is included in the rate. Michelle was a lovely server and the food choices and quality were great. Our experience at Ocean Lodge was not terrible but we would not recommend to others and would not return. Perhaps we got used to staying at the Sanctuary on Kiawah Island where they truely exceed expectations in terms of service. I think of Ocean Lodge and how turn down service has to be requested, and room service is nonexistent,that is not my idea of five star service.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank lshack99
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This small hotel has much going for it. During our four day stay we felt like we were at a B&B. Each staff member was courteous and friendly to a fault. The rooms are really more like small, luxury apartments. The breakfast, served in a quaint dining room, is delicious and gives the guest a choice of several items.

I believe this is the finest hotel on Saint Simons Island.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have an extra balcony and more sunlight. They are recommended. Because the hotel is one street back from the beach, rooms do not have an unrestricted view of the ocean. The higher floors have better beach views, but cost more.
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife's passions are fireplaces, wine, outdoor seating, wine, excellent food, water views, entertainment and more wine ! All of these were satisfied our first night at the Lodge at the rooftop restaurant! I'm her hero finding the Ocean Lodge on the beautiful St. Simon Island! The rooms were very ornate and included original oil works of art! Ask Michelle S., usually the breakfast server, whether the chef is there who makes the best grits in Ga. This also made my wife's day - what a way to start the day - a happy wife ! The Lodge is in a quiet neighborhood
but still within walking distance of a bustling, quaint,little downtown of King's Village ! Or borrow the Lodge's bikes ! We definitely will be back.....I want to keep my wife happy !!