“Best Hotel I have ever stayed in!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ocean Lodge

Ocean Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Augusta, Georgia
“Best Hotel I have ever stayed in!”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I am serious... and have travelled the world. This is bar noe the nicest room (suite) I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. It was an event inn and of itself. Loved the rooftop restaurant, great home-cooked breakfast, and fabulous staff. can't wait to return!

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th Floor, north side corner if you can get it. Huge balconies!
Wes B, Manager at Ocean Lodge, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest

We are thrilled that not only were you able to experience all of what Ocean Lodge has to offer, but were pleased with it as well. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and let others know about it.

Ocean Lodge and The Rooftop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Oklahoma
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was our 2nd stay at Ocean Lodge. It's quickly becoming our favorite hotel--and we have stayed at some incredible hotels. We stayed in Room 301. It was huge and a big plus was a 2nd full bath...something we look for in a hotel suite. The room sits on a corner so the balcony was huge and the view incredible. The rooftop restaurant/bar had delicious food and again, the view incredible. The free breakfast is made-to-order and scrumptious. Anytime we're in this area, we will stay at Ocean Lodge. I only wish the owner had hotels in other cities. The hotel offers the perfect formula: great room + excellent service + incredible views + 2 baths = the perfect stay!

Room Tip: Get a corner room with an odd number. The higher the floor, the better the view, duh!
3 Thank PattyB54
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Ocean Lodge. We are glad that you have found a favorite place here on St. Simons and we will always have the door open for you. It is guests like you that we look forward to seeing time and time again.

We are also glad that you enjoyed dining at The Rooftop. We know a lot of guests want to get out and enjoy all of the wonderful restaurants St. Simons has to offer when they are staying at Ocean Lodge, but we always like to remind our guests that one of the best kept secrets is right above them.

Thanks again,
florida
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I planned a surprise getaway for my husband's birthday and stumbled upon this place on Luxury Link. I always refer back to tripadvisor for all of my stays because I trust the honest reviews here.

I read the reviews and was impressed that the Ocean Lodge was the number 1 place to stay on St. Simons Island in 2012.

From booking my room to my 2 night stay at the Ocean Lodge, their customer service was second to none!

First I'd like to talk about our suite. I orginally booked a second floor room because it was the only room left other than the penthouse suite. (2nd floor rooms don't have the greatest view according to tripadvisor reviews) When I called back, I spoke with Jackie who apologized for booking my room with someone else by mistake. She told me that a third floor room had become available and that I could book that one instead. I thought ok, it's a bit more expensive but I will go ahead and book. Jackie then told me that I didn't have to pay the difference, our room was automatically upgraded because of the error. I was very pleased. That was the first wow!

The hotel was easy to find and the parking garage was very convenient. Once we arrived in our suite, my husband was blown away! He was soooo surprised and happy with the accomodations. We are accustomed to 4 and 5 star hotels but the decor was absolutely gorgeous! Second wow! Most 5 star hotels put most of their money into the lobby area but not Ocean Lodge! The owner was brilliant by making sure that each suite was decorated tastefully and had all the amenities that would make you want to stay forever. The suite looked like a picture from a palace somewhere in Italy! My husband said he felt like a king! The suite was fully equipped with a kitchen, living area, separate bedroom and 2 bathrooms! The stove had 2 burners with no oven but that was ok since we didn't plan on doing any cooking. There was a full size refrigerator and fully stocked cabinets. Our suite was clean and inviting. What a way to relax!

The bed was heavenly! We hadn't slept that good in a long time, this leads me to believe that I need a new mattress. The sound of the waves from the ocean made for a very peaceful sleep. The bathrobes and slippers were a nice extra as well. There were 2 flat screen TV's, one in the living area and the other in the bedroom. Our balcony was a nice size with a great view of the Atlantic Ocean. There are buildings across the street but you still get a full view of the ocean from the suite. Third wow!

Included was free breakfast which is served each morning between 8 and 10. Jackie offered to have the butler bring our breakfast up each morning if we decided to spend the morning relaxing in our room. I called Jackie each morning with our breakfast order and they brought it right up! Amazing!!!!! The breakfast menu was wonderful with a great variety. Everything was cooked perfect and the grits were delicious! I don't know what they use in their grits, maybe cream or milk but they are not your average grits. Make sure you order the grits. Fourth wow!

They offer complimentary bicycles, chairs and umbrellas. This is unheard of. Most 5 star hotels/resorts make you pay for everything! The price of this hotel is a bit expensive but it is well worth it. The price is comparable to most 4 or 5 star hotels/resorts. The difference is they have no resort or parking fees, they offer complimentary bicycles, chairs, beach umbrellas, the service is above and beyond and your breakfast is included. It couldn't get any better than this. Fifth wow!

Now about the Rooftop restuarant. We went there on our last night on St. Simons. We caught their early bird special which consisted of a salad, entree and a dessert. The entree was probably a lunch size portion but with 3 courses, who needs that much food. We both ordered the salad with tomato vinegrette and beef short ribs. My husband ordered key lime pie and I ordered the Georgia peach bread pudding. Our food was delicious! The short rib was cooked perfectly, the mashed potatoes and broccolini was yummy. But to top it off, my bread pudding was the best that I'd ever had. It was served warm with ice cream on the side. I am from the south and I know bread pudding. Absolutely scrumptious. I am looking up a recipe for the bread pudding as we speak. Sixth wow!

To sum it all up, Ocean Lodge has the total package: decor, cleanliness, good food, ammenities and impeccable service! Anyone going to St. Simons needs to pay this place a visit. This will be the only place where I lodge if I'm on the Island. Thank you Jackie and William for being such good hosts to your visitors. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite. Floors 3 and above have great views!
2 Thank snubill
Wes B, Manager at Ocean Lodge, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write that wonderful review. I have passed this along to all of our staff and everyone is so pleased to hear that we were able to make your experience a great one. We hope to see you guys again soon.

UK
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We spent a splendid 3 nights at the Ocean Lodge and it was a discovery that exceeded our expectation - from the comfort of the spacious rooms to the detail and thought behind the elegant furnishings it really was a pleasure to relax in such discrete surroundings with views of the nearby ocean. The staff are professional and also really likeable people who were so willing to help in any way - they are clearly proud of Ocean Lodge and they made us feel like valued guests.
The roof top restaurant is notable for both its views and excellent cuisine, although if one wanted to be picky I'd suggest that some courses could have been warmer - perhaps a combination of a busy evening and the kitchen being on the 2nd floor?
Breakfast on the 2nd floor terrace is not to be missed.
In summary, a very good 'top drawer' boutique hotel and restaurant that won't disappoint.

Room Tip: Upper floor corner suite with large terrace and good ocean views - i.e. Room 401
2 Thank Thomas58
Dear Guest,

We are proud to hear that your experience was one that met your expectations, as well as ours. We thank you for being our guests and thank you for taking time to review your stay on TripAdvisor.

We are also glad that you were able to join us at The Rooftop for dinner. The kitchen being three floors down has always been a obstacle that we have been, and continue to adapt to, in order to make your experience an exceptional one.

Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you soon.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I had always wanted to get married in Saint Simons... I had been coming to the island since I was six months old! After searching for the right place, I met with Tina Harris, the event coordinator at Ocean Lodge. There was no question in my mind that this was exactly what I had been looking for! Not only is the hotel amazing (very beautiful Italian revival)... the food was delicious and fresh (thank you Chef!), and the STAFF made my wedding perfect (thank you Anne, Jackie, Michelle and Bill)! Tina was so helpful and full of wonderful ideas, and every single member of the Ocean Lodge team went above and beyond what I ever dreamed. I couldn't imagine such an important day in our lives happening anywhere else. It was truly perfection. Thank you all so, so much!

Room Tip: All the rooms are magnificent... you can't go wrong. But the higher up, the better view of the o...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Danielle R
Tina H, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Lodge, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Danielle
Our thanks are out to you for selecting Ocean Lodge, and allowing us to play a part in the most memorable experience that wedding and festitives should be!
The photos too serve as a reminder to us of a beautiful couple on their beautiful day!
We are truly delighted to have you and Gui as part of our Ocean Lodge family, and look forward to your return, whenever the occasion, to celebrate your most special of days at our special place in time... Tina.
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed October 19, 2012

To celebrate our second wedding anniversary, we had many choices and locations from which to choose. Having returned from Europe 3 weeks ago, we decided to stay state-side and enjoy the Golden Isles of GA. After having a great conversation with William, in reservations at the Ocean Lodge, we decided we'd stay here.

Upon arrival, William and other staff at the Ocean Lodge greeted us with smiles, humor and southern hospitality.

Each room at the Ocean Lodge is decorated in old world style. Original artwork with breath-taking European scenes decorate the walls. Our room, #301, was just what we needed to make our 2 day stay a memorable getaway.

Each suite has 2 full baths, a fully appointed kitchen, a large living room and a large master suite bedroom. The balcony has a spacious sitting area that is covered and can be enjoyed no matter what weather greets you.

The Ocean Lodge is within walking distance to convenient stores, restaurants and a wine shop.

In addition, the rooftop restaurant at the Ocean Lodge offers a menu of just about anything you might want to enjoy for dinner. Try the onion soup and the bread pudding filled with GA peaches.

Full breakfast is complimentary with your stay; and it's made to order - no buffet here. Also, the scones are great with morning tasty coffee.

Always it's wonderful to stay in a special hotel, villa or place of choice. Most of all........those who make the stay special are the people who care about our visit. Just to name a few........William in reservations, Jacky at the front desk, Michelle in the breakfast catering area, Lorna at the rooftop restaurant and last but not least, Joe McDonough, the owner/creator of this Lodge.

As Joe says, he created this for us. You will feel that way. We did.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Suggest a corner room #301, 401 - All rooms are wonderfully appointed and this side has a wider sea...
1 Thank TravelSuitsMe
Wes B, Manager at Ocean Lodge, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. All of us here at Ocean Lodge enjoyed reading your wonderful comments and are certainly proud that we were able to make your stay as pleasant as you described. We are also glad that you were able to enjoy The Rooftop. Hopefully, you will visit us again soon. Until then...Thanks again.

louisville,ky
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We had a delightful three night stay at the Ocean Lodge during the last week of September. The staff was just amazing from the time we checked into the Lodge until we departed. Everyone from the housekeepers, wait staff, front desk, and managers could not possibly have been nicer. Our room was not ready when we came to check in because of a large wedding on the weekend so we were upgraded to the Penthouse. Wow, what a suite! We spent a lot of time lounging on our lovely terrace watching the water, shrimp boats and occasional dolphin go past. The Lodge has complimentary bikes and we had a great excursion riding down the beach. The staff also helped us arrange a kayak trip and round of golf at a nearby club. Both of their recommendations resulted in perfect outing both times. It is truly a glorious place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bluegrassgirl59
Wes B, Manager at Ocean Lodge, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at Ocean Lodge. We are glad that you were pleased with the accommodations of the penthouse and always enjoy upgrading our guest when we can. We are always thrilled when we can arrange special activities for guests to enjoy when they are are from the hotel and we're certainly glad that you guys had a great time. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#6 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
#3 of 8 in Jekyll Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#3 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to Ocean Lodge? Share your experiences!