“An Unique Place to Stay”
Review of Ocean Lodge

Ocean Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 4, 2012

What a beautiful building filled with equally beautiful rooms.

Jackie greets you when you first arrive as if you've known each other for years. She is the heart and soul of this establishment. If you need anything Jackie is the one to contact.

The rooms as mentioned above are beautiful. The furnishing are gorgeous, no expense has been spared here. Two bathrooms do come in handy and both are lovely. The balcony is huge!

Now we get to housekeeping, a previous reviewer mentioned black feet. We being from Florida are barefooted quite a bit so we are use to dirty feet. There is difference between dirty feet and pitch black feet. The tile floors could use a good mopping especially in the corners. We were there for 3 nights and the last day there was a pink mildew ring around the water level in the toilet leading us to believe the toilets had not been clean while we were there. We were also shorted towels the last day.

My husband and I are avid readers but once the sun went down there wasn't enough light to read by if sitting in the chairs. The sofa had a lamp next to it. We bought a higher wattage light bulb to get more light but it really didn't help. If you have an e-reader bring a light.

The pool area is furnished with wooden slatted furniture. There were 2 lounges (only one had cushions) and 5 chairs (only 2 had cushions). It was extremely unconfortable to sit on the ones without cushions. The gym by the pool seemed clean and well equipped.

The beach by the hotel is not really usable but there are 2 other nice beaches with facilities a short car ride away.

Would we go back? Only if the price was right.

Room Tip: Try to get an oceanview but realize there are other buildings in front of you, so the view is partia...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent visit to Ocean Lodge. We have addressed the issues mentioned in your review with our housekeeping department and have purchased additional equipment to deep clean the floor grout. We are also purchasing additional loungers and cushions for our deck.

We appreciate you for bringing these items to our attention and we hope you consider visiting us again in the future!

Reviewed May 31, 2012

My future husband and I spent a few days at the Ocean Lodge last week and we had a wonderful time. The fourth floor suite was exquisite, reminiscent of a Mediterranean villa with a lovely spacious balcony overlooking the Atlantic. The restaurant, bar and hotel service were also outstanding. We started our dinner outside on the balcony and then when we mentioned that we were American Idol fans and that the finals were on TV, two servers came over with trays, picked up our dishes and drinks and led us to a table in the bar right next to the large TV which they had turned on to our show. The breakfast was delicious too, all cooked to order and the chef had baked a cranberry coffee cake. We were too full to eat eat it, so our server put some in a box for us to take.

Room Tip: The top floor suites have the best view, but of course are the most expensive
2  Thank Cathardt

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent experience with us. We are so delighted that you had a relaxing mini-vacation and still were able to enjoy American Idol! We will be sure to share this review with our restaurant staff, it will make their day! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Just returned from a three day stay ending May 25. The rooms and service were first class. The friendliness of all staff was way beyond the norm. What set the visit apart was the quality of the
complimentary breakfast and the dinner offered on the roof. What a beautiful setting. The owner, Joe, went out of his way to personally get to know the guests and every request was immediately
responded to. We will recommending to friends.

Room Tip: Get a room on either end to get the best view of the ocean.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your recent stay at Ocean Lodge. We are very pleased that our staff were able to make your visit memorable. We also appreciate you recommending us to your friends and hope you visit St. Simons Island and Ocean Lodge again very soon!

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Just returned from a 3 day weekend at Ocean Lodge, St. Simons Island. It was wonderful. The staff was friendly, hospitable and gracious. The facility was clean and beautiful. The hotel far exceeded our expectations. I hope to return.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Samantha_M_OL, Manager at Ocean Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay. We are very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your experience with us. Please visit us again soon!

Reviewed May 27, 2012

I was in St. Simon's last weekend and stayed at the Ocean Lodge. I went to get a break, enjoy the time at the beach and get some sun at the pool. When I arrived, check in was horrible. I stood there in line for about 20 minutes while the front desk all but read the dinner menu to the people before me. Just an FYI, if they are not able to find the parking garage directly UNDER the building, they probably need more help that you can provide in one conversation. Once I finally got checked in to my room, I found it to be very nice. My reservation reserved a third floor room, so my beach view was between the two houses diagonally away from my balcony. But I was told that the "Wedding" being held there had some addtional rooms required, which is why I was bumped down a level??? I then went to see how to get to the beach - I was told the beach access was across the street, so I packed up my things, grabbed a beach chair and headed off. The beach is a public beach an the last time I checked, to be called a beach requires that there is sand to sit on before reaching the water. My option, sit on the walkway's steps because the tide was to high and the beach was not accessible. So mark off the beach - back to the hotel to lay by the pool. I get there and find that the pool isn't really a pool at all - it is an above the ground, shallow hot tup, long enough to swim against the current machine at the end of the pool. So - more than 10 people in the poool, no room to move around. Oh and did I mention there are only 2 louge chairs on the deck - so get there early if you want to use one. I finally figure out how to lay out in 2 deck chairs, the sun is going down rapidly when I am told I have to leave the deck so they can prepare for the wedding - WHAT? Heading back to my room I am also told that the resturant was closed for the wedding as well. At this point, I am ready to go bach home - my impression of St. Simons and Ocean Lodge are nothing bug disappointment. As I turned to head back to my room, one floor below in the courtyard directly outside of my room - the wedding.... Yes, the wedding is going on at that very moment and I am told I have to wait outside my room so the doors do not echo until after the "I do's" were exchanged. It wasn't long, but really? The beach isn't a beach, the pool isn't a pool, my ocean view is being used by the wedding people who were upgraded at my expense, I can't eat in the resturant... Is there anything else? Well yes, bike rental is free so I thought - ok I will get a bike and ride into town to get some dinner. Get the bike and head out only to end up with a flat tire by the time I get there and the "basket" on my bike, feel off in the road over a dozen times before I got back to turn the bike in.... This was just the first day with three more to go... Overall - the weekend ended about as great as it started. Breakfast service was awful. You get your drink, about thirty minutes later they come get your order - but only if you asked if someone would get your order. They bring the eggs, about thirty minutes later the other part arrives cold and sopping in grease.

I don't think I am going back to St. Simons anytime soon. The town was nice and quaint, but the beaches are not good if you just want to spend time relaxing. As far as the Ocean Lodge - they owe me a huge do over - I wasted over a $1,000 to basically "fill a room", while all the Wedding people enjoyed everything else. Investigate and ask questions before you make the reservation and before your cancellation time is up... Also - don't expect much - the place is beautiful, staff is lazy and not interested in you being there and the food that I did get to consume was marginal at best. I was happy I had a kitchen, especially since I was going to get to eat anywhere else in the building.

Room Tip: Call ahead and make sure you are not being put out by a private event - if you are there during one...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
19  Thank Shannan F

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us. We are disappointed we failed to meet your expectations and would like to follow up on a few of your points.
We are sorry your check-in process was a lengthy one. Fridays are generally our busiest days for check-ins, and since 4 p.m. is our posted check-in time, the first hour is the busiest hour of the week. We have hired additional staff to assist with the check in process, but we do value each of our guests and occasionally some guests require extra attention, which is beyond our control. We sincerely apologize for the delay.

After researching your reservation history, we found your room was initially reserved in our system on the second floor. The third party site used to book your reservation has the same information on file as our system. I would be grateful if you could email me the reservation information you received so I can be sure there is not a glitch in either reservation booking systems.

It is against our policy to downgrade one guest for another unless we receive permission from both guests. And this would certainly not be done without compensating the guest for the inconvenience.

St. Simons Island does have beach access. Governed by high and low ocean tides, there are only about 4 hours of the day, each day, the beach is not accessible from across the street. However, a few blocks south and north to the Coast Guard Station, there is beach access 24 hours a day.

In regards to the private event that closed our restaurant one night during your stay, we sincerely apologize for your inconvenience. Throughout the year, past guests choose to return to Ocean Lodge for their most special of celebrations that may occasionally take place during your stay, such as wedding festivities. We definitely have procedures in place via reservation confirmations to alert guests arriving over a particular date, and are working with our third party reservation sites to be able to establish communication with guests who have reserved through their site.

Once again, we apologize we could not meet your expectations and I assure you this is not a typical experience from our guests. We will be diligently working to address all of the issues you provided us. We truly hope you will consider a return to St. Simons and the Golden Isles of Georgia, and that your next visit will provide every detail that will make your stay most enjoyable and memorable…

samantha@oceanlodgessi.com

Reviewed May 14, 2012

From the minute we pulled into the garage till the time we left we got excellent service from every member of the staff. I highly recommend this hotel. I would like to give a special thanks to Bill and Jackie front desk, Launa in food service, Gloria and Mary( I think) in house keeping and Valet parking for keeping a parking space open when we went out at night. This hotel is well worth the money. Bill and Sandy Georgia

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank william v
Samantha_M_OL, Manager at Ocean Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Dear Bill and Sandy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit to Ocean Lodge. It is so rewarding to hear feedback such as yours. We are very proud of our staff and will share your review with them, it will make them very happy I'm sure. Please visit us again soon!

Reviewed May 13, 2012

My second stay here. First with hubby @ anniversary...this time with girlfriends. We had a little snafu with the bill for massages arranged with the recommended therapist. All handled with utmost professionalism and Southern charm....I love this place. The staff is always top notch with a touch of local flavor. Visit to the rooftop restaurant on what must have been one of the busiest nights of the season for them (full moon 120% of normal size) the bartender was extremely busy, and needed a little loosening up, but was as attentive as one could expect under the circumstances. Also a nice touch to have the owner mingling the crowd like one of the locals. This place has a permanent spot on my list of places to retreat when you want to relax, unwind, and get that little something special!! LOVE Miss Jackie!!

Room Tip: The higher the floor your room is, the better the view...though most rooms have a decent view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your review regarding your recent stay with your girlfriends at Ocean Lodge. We are very happy you had a great time, and yes, full moon was our busiest night in the restaurant thus far this year. Thank you for dining with us as well! We hope you visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#7 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Jekyll Island Club Resort
Jekyll Island Club Resort
#1 of 9 in Jekyll Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
Hampton Inn St. Simons Island
#2 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
#3 of 9 in Jekyll Island
Ocean Inn and Suites
Ocean Inn and Suites
#9 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to Ocean Lodge? Share your experiences!