“Would never recommend using Sugo's”
Review of Sugo's - CLOSED

Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed January 3, 2013

As a Roswell business owner, I would not recommend this restaurant for any function. I attended a wedding reception there and it took over an hour to get any food. The portions were riduculously small and the quality was poor. Staff was unattentive and uncaring. Coffee was filled with loose grinds and no spoons were provided for sugar or cream. Staff passed out plastic straws to customers to use instead to stir their coffee. As a business owner, I found it unexcuseable that the management made no attempt to remedy such a bad situation.

4  Thank Sue D

Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I ate at Sugo before going to the Roswell theater on the Friday night before Christmas. We got there at about 6:00 and were seated next to the kitchen, even though there were only a few patrons. We asked to be moved (because of the noise and staff traffic) and another table for two was quickly found. The food was delicious, presented well and nicely portioned. By the time we left, around 7:30, the restaurant was full of families and couples.
Sugo's seems to be a popular place, so either go early or make a reservation. We found parking at the rear of the restaurant easy.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I would Not recommend using Sugo's for any large/special events. We hosted my wedding reception there, and in terms of the restaurant itself - it was a disaster. The event manager, chef and staff clearly were not prepared for such a large group (almost 100 people). There was a lack of order, timeliness, enough Food, serving utensils (like cake plates and spoons), and more.

The servers were slow in circulating the room and getting more tapas to pass around; they were slow in bringing out the first course, main course and dessert as well. Everytime my husband or I told them to do something 'Now', as in 'bring out the salad', it took 15 minutes to actually happen. With the main course, it took over 1 Hour for all the guests to be served! This is not how you run a WEDDING! Some tables received second servings while others had not received any food yet! It was very embarrassing. There wasn't enough food either - one 'platter' (which was the size of a large dinner plate) had maybe 6 pieces of chicken for the whole table, of 8-12 people! The staff was also rude; when people asked for more food, they said "That's all you get"; when asked for a coffee spoon, the guests were told they had run out, and offered a straw instead...! As if the restaurant hadn't prepared for that many people...

There were many other disappointing details, but the most frustrating part was the lack of responsibility/management. The event manager was constantly hiding in the back, and hard to find and didn't Do anything to help. The chef was slow and rude as well; when my husband finally went back to the kitchen to ask what the problem was, the chef told him "you can't expect me to feed 100 people in less than an hour!"

The place looked great and the food was tasty (when it was finally served), but this was our wedding, and it turned out very stressful. Lastly, the management and owners would not compensate for anything.

2  Thank Joanna B
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We hosted our daughter's wedding luncheon reception @ Sugo Restaurant, Roswell, GA. We were grossly dissatisfied with the service, quantity of food served, and onsite management. Replenished tapas to pass was not present when the bridal wedding party arrived, and it took over 10 minutes to locate one server, who was then asked to bring out more tapas for 93 guests. The salad (family style) was to be served right after blessings were said, and it took 10 minutes to arrive. Our guests were not served the main course of family style platters uniformly; it took over 1.25 hours to complete serving 93 paid guests. While the last 24 guests did not receive any main course entrees, other guests were receiving second platters of food. Cake cutting was paid for, but was not done after the bride and groom initially cut the cake. Self service then occurred after guests realized cake was not being served. Formal cake service then occurred 15 minutes later. Beverage service was inconsistent; wine and coffee/tea were not uniformly served to full tables. There were not enough desert plates, and there were no teaspoons or sugar for coffee/tea. Straws were offered to stir coffee/tea. There was insufficient food for 93 guests; tapas to pass was sparingly served, and one oval dinner size plate was expected to feed 6 guests, per statement of the owner. A guest asked for more food and was told by the server, "that's all you get." Eventually seconds were brought. All 3 dinner entrees were not brought simultaneously to the table, and a 5-10 min. delay occurred between each entree delivery with subsequent confusion noted amongst guests about quantity to expect for the main course. On site management was lacking; the manager's presence was repeatedly requested to correct the tapas quantity, main course food delivery, and service concerns. The manager was not consistently on the floor observing or correcting the flow of service. Post conference/bill payment with the manager witnessed offensive language. Compensation negotiations failed due to lack of owner response.

2  Thank 255DavidB46
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My husband and I had a reservation to dine here through Open Table on a busy Friday night. Parking was discovered to not be a good experience. There is just not enough, and Sugo's also has an area for groups to dine, so it can be quite hard to find a place. We were ended up parking behind the building by the trash dumpsters.

But we were seated promptly. A gentleman came over to welcome us, and we mentioned it was our first time. He is the owner, and explained how his family has three restaurants, which his kids now run. He is greek and italian, and his wife is irish. The menu has greek and italian dishes, but none from Ireland. (not that I minded!) There are both "small plates" and regular size dinners. We had fried calamari, and I had mussels and a salad while my husband had a sausage dish. All were very good.

But what impressed me so much about Sugo was the people! The owner had suggested we try something, which we didn't order. So he showed up with it anyway, just so we could try it! And after dinner, he brought over a glass of prosecco for each of us. The waitress Sabrina was very friendly as well. We filled out a comment card with our email. And we were very surprised to get an email the very next morning from the owner's wife thanking us for coming! We will definitely be going here again!