“Not ready for prime trime”
Review of Buckingham Pub & Grill - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Buckingham Pub & Grill
Cuisines: Pub
Reviewed March 10, 2006

We tried the Buckingham Pub and Grill this evening based on a write-up in the AJC (They called it the "Lord Buckingham"). It's at 2300 Holcombe Bridge Raod.
It appears this place has just opened. Being a Limey myself and fond of anyplace that might bring a hint of England to my life, my wife (from Scotland) and I decided to try this place.

The only resemblance to a British pub it can claim is the Bass Ale sign and a menu with a few quasi pub dishes. British items on the menu are Bangers and Mash (British sausages and mashed potatoes), Shepherd's Pie and Fish and Chips. We did arrive kind of early (5:30ish) because my wife is acting in a play in Roswell and had to get to the theater on time. We had to wait for 20 minutes for a server because they were all sitting outside "having some sort of meeting".
When we eventually got to order, we asked for the Bangers and Mash and were told they didn't have any because the owner wanted to get just the right "Bangers". OK - that's admirable and can be forgiven. So instead we had Shepherd's Pie and Fish and Chips.
The Shepherd's Pie looked reasonably authentic except there were much more potatoes than meat. Real Shepherd's Pie is mostly meat with a layer of mashed potatoes on top. The gravy for the Shepherd's Pie obviously had either liquid smoke in it or the meat had been burned; but it added a disgusting flavor to the whole dish.
The Fish and Chips dish was well presented but it turned out that the batter was hiding just the thinnest sliver of fish. The chips were good though!
Amazingly there were no salt and pepper shakers on any of the tables. I think this is the first restaurant I've ever been in where that has been the case. We had to ask for them. There appeared to be communal condiments for the entire restaurant.
After a couple of pints of beer out table top was flooded in condensed water because there were neither beer mats nor napkins of any kind for the drinks glasses. The beer selection was modest but not what you'd excpect for a British pub wannabe. A pub incidently, where the big item on the menu is Quesadillas.
The wait staff was exceptionally strange. We were watched constantly from afar, and it got to the point where I was afraid to make eye contact because that would have the server running to our table to check if everything was OK. The wierdest part of the dining experience was after I signed the check. The waitperson (An****na)actually came up to our table, picked up the receipt, and checked the tip.
All in all a very strange place. Perhaps there are teething problems or perhaps the Buckingham Pub and Grill is trying to be something it is not. As always, we give a restaurant like this a second chance a few months later. We'll see . . . . . .