“Our family favorite”

El Zarape
Ranked #198 of 340 Restaurants in Roswell
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Nothing fancy, but good, dependable food. Fast service. Great prices. Convenient. You get a lot of food the money at this Roswell standard.

There are newer reviews for El Zarape

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Good mexican food, but nothing exceptional. Reasonable prices, attentive service and big portions. If you want a nice environment you may be disappointed but if you are hungry this is the place.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Yep, even when I was in Mexico the guacamole wasn't this good. It's homemade with fresh tomatoes, lime juice... fantastic. The place is a bit of a dive, maybe that's what makes it taste so good? Typical Mexican fare; all good and the bill is a little more reasonable than the restaurants that are a few blocks down in the heart of Historic Roswell. Just walk about 2 blocks south of the Historic District (on Atlanta St), right past the gas station and you'll find this hidden gem.

Reviewed January 20, 2012

We just happened to be driving by El Zarape when we decided we had to stop to get some lunch. It was already past 1:00pm when we pulled into their parking lot.

We weren't sure what to expect, because there was really nothing "special" about the appearance of the restaurant...not from the outside, and not from the inside. But we both agreed we wanted to eat Mexican food.

This is the real deal, folks. Not Tex-Mex, not Taco Bell, not Taco Mac, but what we considered (from our trips to Mexico over the past 30 years) to be authentic...without being a roadside stand, but a real restaurant where they have a complete bar, comfortable seating (although not much ambiance) and some really good food.

I suspect there might be other Fiesta type entertainment that goes on here during busier times of the day, or on weekends, because we saw stereo soundboards and other signs that suggested entertainment.

All I know is the food was really good, and the guacamole was excellent and fresh!! (Guacamole is my taste test in every Mexican restaurant, including those in Mexico.)

Prices for lunch ran between $5 to $8 per entree. We checked the dinner entrees and they ran about $12 to $15 per entree. We didn't have any alcoholic drinks so I can't comment on that.

I had the Enchilado Ranchero which was a large quantity for lunch, the pork was tender and juicy, and it was delicious. My spouse had the Burrito Supremo and said it was really good. It didn't look like any Burrito that you'd get at Taco Bell or other fast food restaurants, it was an entree that they can be proud to serve.

We checked out the bathrooms. They could have used a little tending to...one was a little dirtier than I'd expect, and there were some missing or chipped tiles that should be replaced. A little renovating would do a world of good, but then they'd probably have to charge a little more for their food.

I noticed they had outdoor seating for the nicer weather (we were there in January and it was cold and raining out) but my guess is it's a popular place because it's on the main street in Roswell, near all the great little specialty shops, antiques, art galleries, etc.

Don't pass this place up. We are definitely going back again. They accepted credit cards and the checks were all computed and very modern in that sense.

1  Thank PeabodyandSherman
Reviewed November 3, 2011

My favorite here is the shrimp with chipolte sauce. Carnitas also very good.
Margaritas excellent.

Been to El Zarape? Share your experiences!