“Paddling the Hooch”

Chattahoochee River
Ranked #5 of 49 things to do in Roswell
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Chattahoochee River is a hidden gem running through the Atlanta metro area. I try to take my kayak out once a month on the Hooch to enjoy the scenery and try to get away from things. I like to put in at one of the parking lots on Azalea Drive in Roswell but during the weekends the parking spots are few and far between. If that’s the case I’ll go down to the parking spot past the Nature Center on Wileo Road. If the river isn’t too low you can usually paddle your way out. The river up here is pretty clean considering all of the development around it. Being on the river gives you a totally different perspective of the area. Paddling under GA 400 is pretty cool, and it shocked me how shallow the water is there the first time I went through. If you get a chance to get on the river give it a try, I’m sure you’ll like it. Before you go it’s always a good idea to call the Buford Dam release # to see if they are making electricity at 770-945-1466.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I fished various parts of the Chattahoochee River an average of once every two weeks from March to October. I enjoy getting on the water just before sun up and experiencing the the cool, quiet beauty of this river. I enjoy taking my kids and my friends fishing, we have seen Deer swimming across the river, beaver, ducks and geese while searching for that nice rainbow or Brown trout. During the week is best due to the crowds you can encounter on weekends but just about anytime on the rive is a great time.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Been fishing and kayaking it for years. We need to do whatever we can to protect it! Its a big part of Atlanta for many people.

1  Thank scootermac
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Lovely walks for humans or dogs, well maintained pathways and stunning views. Look out for the river birds fishing and they even po for your photos!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

We hike by the river at least once a week in the many trails that are offered by the state park. The majority of the trails are dog friendly and the hikes are not too tough. The wildlife and setting makes the trips an undeniable pleasure, as each time it is a little different experience. A real treat is to sit on one of the many river rocks and let the river surround you.