“A house of horrors!!!”

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Rome
NJ
“A house of horrors!!!”
Reviewed September 29, 2009

I hate writing this review because the fact is, the staff were fantastic! Everyone from housekeeping to the breakfast area, to the front desk were an absolute pleasure to deal with! The hotel, however, was another story. Walking in the lobby looks fine; average hotel. This placeturned out to be a complete nightmare! We stayed in the nicest room available; the king suite. It was filthy. I have posted a picture of my socks after 2 hours on the rug (right after housekeping vacuumed). The pool was disgusting & there were insects in the light fixtures (pictures posted). Never in our adult lives have we ever stayed in such a filthy place!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank MrsB32898

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Atlanta
Reviewed April 6, 2009

While the location is not the best as far as convenience, this is a typical Hampton Inn with all the same amenities you would normally find. I have stayed here 4 times and never had a problem. As far as Rome goes, there are no good hotels in safe areas. As far as I'm concerned, this is it. Besides, Rome isn't big enough that you can't get from one side to the other in under 20 minutes.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank doll711
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed October 8, 2008

I was in Rome for my high school reunion at Darlington and needed a place nearby to stay. There were several choices, but I chose the Hampton Inn because of the special rate, the breakfast, and the Delta miles that I would receive. Originally, I had chosen the Holiday Inn because I got a better rate there and I would receive rewards as well, but it changed to the Ramada Inn just before my arrival date. Based on the reviews on Trip Advisor about the overnight crowd the lounge attracts and the other issues, I cancelled my reservation. I glad the name changed or I would have been stuck there and only was able to cancel since it was no longer a Holiday Inn.

I had a hard time finding the Hampton Inn. You turn onto Chateau Drive and about 50 yards later, you turn left and go up a very steep hill. There is a hotel under construction on the right and another one at the top of the hill on the left. The Hampton Inn is at the top of the hill on the right. I hope they improve the access road once all the construction is completed. I don’t see how anyone could get up or down safely if there were ice as there is sometimes in the winter in Rome. I parked on the front side of the hotel and had no issues with the car. I arrived just after 11 am, and even though check in wasn’t until 3 pm, they had a room and allowed me to check in. I was very relieved since I had been up since 4 am for my flight to Atlanta and then my drive to Rome. I didn’t have to be on campus until 5 pm so I was able to get some rest.

I had a king size bed with several good pillows. There weren’t any extra outlets by the bed so I had to unplug the light so that I could use an outlet. The bed was very firm and comfortable and had a good, plush duvet. The alarm on the clock radio worked well on Sunday morning when I needed to get up early to leave. There was a chair and ottoman with a table/light combo next to it. There was a desk also with chair. A microwave (didn’t use) and refrigerator were also there. There was no minibar or overpriced goodies to tempt you either so I used to refrigerator for my beer. The television was next to them and received a good number of channels with all the local Chattanooga and Atlanta stations plus the usual cable stations. One negative-the back cover on the remote wouldn’t stay on so I had to hold the remote in such a way to keep it all together. There was a bathroom with tub/shower and toilet. Shampoo, conditioner, and soap were provided and there were more than enough good towels. Coffee was also provided to use in the coffee maker on the bathroom sink. One issue in the bathroom was the toilet paper holder. It was much too low. Since they had put the toilet paper in backwards (not over the top from back to front), it tended to hit the floor. I changed the direction of the roll, but it was still too low! An individual thermostat allowed good control of the temperature in the room. My room, #216 (I think), was two rooms from the elevator and had a pool view. There was some noise in the hall, but it was due to loud people and not thin walls and normal talking people. Everything seemed new.

Breakfast was good. They had the usual: coffee, tea, juices, milk, cereals, pastries, and eggs. One morning there were biscuits and sausage gravy; the next there were sausage patties and something I didn’t try (maybe French toast sticks). There were also biscuits so I made a sausage and biscuit sandwich. I tried one of the croissants, but it was cold and hard so I only ate a few bites. Overall, the breakfast was satisfactory.

There were carpet rolls in the lobby and a sign indicating some rooms were receiving new carpet. Mine wasn’t so it wasn’t an issue. The people at the desk and in the breakfast area were very friendly and always greeted you warmly. They had free wifi but also a laptop in the lobby for those like me who didn’t bring their computer. I was able to check emails and some other sites so that was a nice surprise. If my travels take me back to Rome, I would definitely consider staying at the Hampton Inn again. I was able to sleep well and had no big issues other than housekeeping, which is why I am giving this motel a 4 (it’s really about a 3.6 but it's better than a 3 since all of the negatives could easily be fixed so that I could give this a 5 possibly next time) I left my room about 10:30 am and returned around 2:00 pm to watch my college football game. When I returned, all that they had done was take the dirty towels and replace the largest ones with fresh ones. When they did come back (it was about 3:00 and I was very involved with my game), they knocked even though I had the “Do Not Disturb” card in the key slot. I asked for more shampoo, soap, and coffee. They emptied the garbage cans and restocked as I had requested. The person doing this looked about 12 so I wondered if she was helping out her mother. I didn’t have time to be bothered so I just said thank you and went back to my football game. In hindsight, I guess I should have walked down to their cart and told them my plans when I left so that they could have fully cleaned my room before my return. No big deal, just inconvenient. If you’re only there for one night, this won’t be an issue. All in all, I was happy with my stay and glad that I attended my reunion.

• Liked — the comfortable bed
  • Disliked — housekeeping
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank BerlinG-ParisF
Lebanon, KY
Reviewed January 9, 2008

After a thorough online search for hotels, I decided to wait until arriving in Rome to be able to visually select my hotel for a two night business trip recently.

After looking around, I decided upon the Hampton Inn...after all, typically you know what you are going to get with a Hampton.

For $100 a night, the double room was TINY. The hallways were pretty dingy and needed some paint in spots.

The breakfast was decent and the staff was super friendly at the desk,,,,in fact, they'd come over and talk with me during breakfast every morning.

Slept in on Monday morning and was out of the room by 11:00 am...arrived back around 10 that night and there had been NO housekeeping service. I guess since I had the Do Not Disturb card in the key slot they just passed by and didn't ever come back.

It wasn't like I stayed around til 3 or 4 pm...and they could have at least came back and given me clean towels, made the bed, etc.

There are at least two new hotels being built right now (Jan 2008) in Rome. One is right next to the Hampton and appears to possibly be a Comfort Suites. The other I only saw in the darkness when arriving in town, but it may be a H.I. Express. For now, til those two properties open late this summer, I'd stay at the Jameson Inn (although I've never stayed at one I'd take a chance if I were doing it over again).

This is not one of the nicer Hamptons.

Stayed January 2007
1 Thank tigermaroon2

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Pensacola, FL
Reviewed September 4, 2007

I was not told when making reservations about remodeling that was going on in this Hampton. There was plastic covering everything in the lobby. Dust was all through the air and guys were there busting up the old tile and shoveling it out. It was a mess. I guess it might look better after the work is finished. Another thing I didn't like about this place is the driveway from the road to the Inn is at about a 50 degree incline - too steep for this Florida flatlander.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank sweetshrub
Reviewed April 23, 2007

This is your standard Hampton - good amenities, their famous breakfast, high speed internet, and a workout room. The workout room is not big, but the machines were in good condition. The staff was very nice and helpful.

The area is remote, but it is within a few minutes drive from Darlington school and downtown Rome.

Note: There is very little within walking distance from the hotel. The hotel is on a hilltop and difficult to see from the street.

• Liked — Convenience
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baton Rouge, La
Reviewed June 11, 2006

We stayed at the Hampton Inn- Rome over Thanksgiving and had a very good experience. The hotel was clean and tidy. The new management was attentive and asked if we were comfortable and happy with the accommodations. The beds were the most comfortable I have slept on in any hotel, and the continental breakfast was delicious, with many choices of hot and cold breakfast items. We were happy with our stay. The best part of staying at this hotel was that it is tucked away on top of a hill, where the noise from the highway cannot be heard. It was a quiet and pleasant retreat from our long drive.

• Stayed October 2005