“To Go Service SubPar at Outback in Rome, GA”
Review of Outback Steakhouse

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This review is of the Outback Steakhouse in Rome, GA. I have eaten here at least 10 times over the past few years and to me the service has gone downhill. I ordered by way of Curb Side Takeaway and several things happened during my most recent visit in Mid November of 2013 that I wanted to point out and complain about. (The short version so you don’t have to read my story unless you are bored is: Long wait time on the phone, feel being cheated with my survey coupon, server trying to not give me my new receipt with new survey on it, Forgetting my beverage I ordered, and server not giving me plastic ware when I am clearly a traveler and ordering it to go.) Anyways, I’ve been biting my tongue over the last few visits, but this last one hit one too many issues that needed to be voiced. First when I called to place my order I was on hold over 5 minutes. The lady that answered the phone put me on hold to pass me to the person doing the to go orders and they didn’t answer and this happened two cycles getting passed back to her and to the to go area until I think the manager or assistant manager answered the phone (he said he was there for 15 years) so I’m thinking it was a manager of some sort. During the ordering process I had a survey coupon that many other Outback’s honor in either substituting completely or allowing one to pay the difference for a different appetizer other than the onion for us non onion eaters. Well this fellow gave me a whole different option which was I could order a half order of the other appetizers which in the case I was wanting the grilled shrimp so I traded my survey coupon receipt for 4 shrimp. This was upsetting as I was thinking 4 shrimp is not worth it, but then again I hate onions, so I felt I had no choice and was craving the shrimp. Those were some expensive shrimp too if you would take the value of a Bloomin onion compared to my 4 undercooked shrimp. Then I got to the restaurant and the server came out and noticed my new receipt had another survey on it and I was thinking YAY another survey and coupon! Well the server said he’d be back with my new total after taking the free 4 shrimp off my original total and would be discarding that receipt since it wasn’t going to reflect the true total, which was understandable. Then he returned again with the corrected copy and I saw the new receipt had a survey too and gave him my credit card and before I could say I wanted that receipt he was back inside. When he returned he only gave me the credit card receipt and kept the other one with the survey on it and was beginning to think this was the norm and they are purposely throwing away the surveys because either they don’t like honoring them or they don’t want anyone to give an opinion of the subpar service and practices of this particular Outback. I told the server I wanted the receipt and he told me he had thrown it away and I told him I wanted it and please go and get it as I was expecting the itemized bill back as well. After he did this I was about to pull out when I noticed he forgot my drink I ordered. So flagged him down to get me that and then was finally on my way only to find out when I got to my hotel later on that they did not give me any plastic wear to eat with. I guess I’m just going to have to eat it with my fingers like they do in the Outback! Nothing like eating steak, lobster, shrimp, and a sweet potato without utensils, but luckily my hotel had some alternatives which got me out of this potential jam. Thanks Outback! I don’t think I’ll be returning to this Outback anytime soon, due to these events, but overall the food was fair and at a decent price, but service and policies here need changing quickly.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is not my first bad experience at this restaurant. My family and I have eaten there probably 3 times in the last 3 years and each time, I hold out hope that the food has gotten better and the service is faster, but again, it was seriously lacking. I know the place was busy because we had to wait about 15 minutes on a table on a Saturday night at 7:00 ET. When the hostess led us to our table almost every table was filled. The waitress came out pretty quickly to take our drink order, but then she disappeared and didn't bring our drinks until at least 10 minutes later. She didn't take our food order at that time, but left and came back about 5 minutes later. After she took our food order, she disappeared for a good 20 minutes. My husband sat with an empty glass in front of him for about half that time. By the time our appetizer arrived, we had been seated for a good half hour. The chicken wings were only warm to the touch and the bleu cheese dressing was not very cold. I think it had been sitting back in the kitchen for a while. Our salads followed shortly after the wings and they were good. The bread was good as well. I ordered the grilled talapia and a baked potato. The fish was ok, kind of bland though. The rice it was served on was the best part of the meal. The potato was hard and crumbly and had dark spots throughout. I could not eat it. All in all we were at the restaurant for close to two hours and spent $65.00 for three people to eat. My husband was the one that wanted to go to this restaurant because we hadn't been in so long. He ordered a steak cooked medium well. It came out rare. He ate it, but said that for the price we paid, we could have gotten some better food at a fast food restaurant. I agreed. We will not be going back any time soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I've had the alice springs chicken in other restaurants, and it was excellent. This was awful. It was overcooked. The cheese was hard. It was supposed to have mushrooms, but there were none. The server hurried us up at first, even though they weren't busy, and then we had to wait forever for our food. We will definitely not go back.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

STOP - This place DOES NOT CARE and CONSISTENTLY DISAPPOINTS across the board. I have eaten here many times over the last few years, but NEVER AGAIN. It is a struggle to find words strong enough to describe their COMPLETE lack of service and BLATANT DISREGARD for customer satisfaction.

Using the term 'POOR' as a measurement for the quality of food and service is an OVERLY GRACIOUS INFLATION of the reality delivered. This review is the direct result of Outback's repeated failures and never-ending shortcomings - the sum of which amounts to a void best described as a cyclical onslaught of mind-numbing incompetence. I have been extremelely patient and hopeful over the years that maybe things would turn around - however, the ONLY thing they have succeeded in, is WASTING MY TIME.

Conclusion: NEVER AGAIN OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE. -1

1  Thank Bobby B
Reviewed May 30, 2013

good food and value. usually has a good special. the desert was wonderful i ended up sharing with my nephew