“Very Disappointed”

La' Marie's
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My family and I used to go to Magretta Hall for Sunday brunch and we have very fond memories of dining there. I was excited to try La Marie's today, to celebrate my Mother's birthday; however we did not have the dinning experience we had hoped:
• We were barely greeted when we walked in the front door
• Once we were seated, a waiter or waitress never approached our table.
• We were eventually offered water and coffee by the host, but no one ever welcomed us and described the menu or told us about the options included in the buffet
• The food was mediocre at best, and it was difficult to serve.
○ The beautiful salad bar we liked so much at Magretta Hall no longer exists. Instead, the salad items that were offered included a pre-mixed salad, potato salad and fruit. This small display was placed around a column between the dining area and a walk way. It was awkward to serve yourself here as there was no place to set your plate, and it felt in the way of other diners - those entering the restaurant as well as those seated trying to enjoy their meal
○ It was also difficult to serve oneself in the hot buffet line - someone had to hold the lid of the chaffing dish instead of having the lids roll up or down
• We had to flag down staff members to ask for our waters to be refilled, and eventually had to stop someone to ask for the check. After all of this, it was actually infuriating when a waitress asked us if we would like to-go cups and told us to have a "blessed day". We felt ignored the entire time we were at the restaurant, and this seemed like a weak attempt to make a tip.

I am not sure if this was a one off experience. Maybe they were low on staff and the food is better if you order off of the menu, but I don't care to try this restaurant again. I am deeply disappointed in the service, quality of food, and overall ambiance of this establishment. It is not the same quality and experience of Magretta Hall. We will not go back to La Marie's.

1  Thank Sarah30161

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I've visited La Marie's twice recently, once for a wedding reception and recently with a friend for a casual lunch. This location has an interesting history in downtown Rome and is housed in what the locals refer to as the "Old Bank Building". It also can be spotted in the film "Sweet Home Alabama". La Marie's has great Victorian charm and is popular with many of our senior citizens. While I was impressed with the food served, the service is quite slow and lacking in the Southern hospitality I've grown accustomed to. If you have time for a long, leisurely lunch or romantic dinner this restaurant fits the bill.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

I have been here before for dinner, it was fantastic! However, I just recently went for lunch and the service was lowsy. I was not greeted with a smile and when I ordered a bar drink it was disgusting. The waitress was not engaging and did not seem to want to be there. It was not the service I expected for a second visit. The food wasn't up to par for this scale of restaurant.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Great atmosphere, great food. Service is a bit slow if this is during your lunch break. Prices are great.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

We had a wonderful experience at La Marie's. The food is top notch and the service was excellent. Nice wine list. I had the Beef Wellington which was cooked perfectly. The pastry was light and crispy and the filet was terrific and tender. My man had the filet mignon which was also wonderful. Both came with a house salad or soup, garlic mashed potatoes and grilled veggies. Very reasonably priced. A pianist played while we ate. We went on a Friday night and made reservations. The reservation was not needed though as there was hardly anybody in the place. I hope this changes as this is a really great restaurant.