“Excellent B&B, charming and comfortable”

Claremont House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 4 Rome B&B and Inns
Charlotte, NC
“Excellent B&B, charming and comfortable”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We had a wonderful experience at Claremont house and would love to return someday. My husband and I were both impressed and intrigued by the decor and elegance of the home, but it remained comfortable too! I enjoyed the interesting little historical notes throughout the home, and the recommendations for "things to do in Rome" were perfect! Our hosts were incredibly friendly, the maintenance of the home was perfect and the breakfasts were delicious. We had a perfect weekend away from our kids, doing fun grownup things like relaxing, historical sightseeing (and even the ghost hunts and tours!) I highly recommend The Claremont house to anyone considering visiting the area - or if you want a reason to visit the area! :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I chose the Claremont House as I have stayed at many B&Bs all over the country and was tired of "hotel living." WHAT A TERRIFIC surprise and delight! The rooms are massive, the claw foot tub reminded me of the house I grew up in that was built around 1900! In addition to the ambience in the house, it was set up with internet access so I could work from my room as well! The host, Chris, really made my stay though. He was welcoming, charming, and a great breakfast cook. He graciously insisted that he make my breakfast earlier than the scheduled 8AM breakfast time, due to my work schedule starting at 8AM. What a treat! Also, their coffee is worth the stay! I thoroughly enjoyed coming home at the end of the work day. I will definitely stay there whenever I'm in Rome.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Apple051979
South Carolina
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here twice in the same week, and enjoyed it immensely, Hope to come again. The breakfast was beyond excellent. The rooms are lovely. Chris, Holly and iris are very friendly and answered our every need.

The winding staircase is beautiful, but a bit hard for an older couple, as we are. Chris is ever ready to help with baggage.

Snacks are available, and ideas for dining and shopping.

Room Tip: Check out the cottage if you have problems with stairs. You could still enjoy the beautiful home.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Claremont House for our third time this past weekend. The house itself is stunning. Our room was very spacious, and I loved having the addition of a daybed in our room. We stayed in the Yancey Room. The room was gorgeous. The bed is on the high side, but that's no problem because there is a step stool provided that matches the elegant Victorian bed. I love having the dressing area and the bathroom is very well lit, which is great for putting on makeup. I also love the big claw-foot tub in the bathroom. This house will transport you back in time, yet provides you with modern amenities.

The innkeepers, Chris and Holly, are incredible hosts. They do everything they can to make your stay comfortable. They even helped me plan a special birthday surprise for my husband.

The breakfasts are always amazing and very filling. You always have a variety of fruits, some sort of meat, in addition to a main entree. The fresh stuffed French toast is among my favorite. For people like us who prefer hot tea rather than coffee, they offer a nice selection of teas.

The location of the Claremont House makes it easy to get to just about any part of Rome. It is also in a great location to go to Cedartown, Rockmart, and Cave Spring.

Overall, this is the best bed and breakfast we have ever stayed in. There was not one thing we were disappointed with or unhappy about, except the fact we had to come back home. I highly recommend the Claremont House as a place to stay. It's much better and more comfortable than any hotel could ever be.

• Stayed June 2012
Reviewed June 13, 2012

After looking at the photos available, I was excited to book The Cottage for a long tennis weekend in Rome. I assumed that The Cottage would be similar to the rooms of the main house, but I was totally wrong! The antique bed was falling apart, the decor and furniture reminded us of our college days.. when we threw together whatever was discarded from other homes to hopefully function in ours.! I think this little cottage was used as the storage room for the leftovers from the main house.
After two nights of reliving our college days, we were able to move to the main house for our last night. The difference in accomodations was like day and night, although we were charged the same for all 3 nights of our stay.
The food was excellent, and the inn keepers were very friendly and courteous.
We will stay again, but not in The Cottage!

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
claremonthousebb, Owner at Claremont House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thanks for staying with us recently. We appreciate your honesty in reviewing our property. We apologize for not meeting your expectations. As with any historic property there are many ongoing projects. Our cottage is a unit we are working on this summer and we will take your comments into consideration. We plan to upgrade the current Queen bed to a King bed. We are also going to replace the Futon in the Living room with something more attractive. (We are firm believers in comfort, and have never experienced a comfortable sofa bed. The futon remains the most comfortable way to offer seating in the daytime and back pain free sleep at night. We are hoping to find a higher end futon that will mirror the decor of the main house.)

We are saddened to read that you were dissatisfied with the cottage. We take great pride in our home and want all of our guests to have an enjoyable and memorable experience. We try to communicate the unique nature of our cottage. On our website our cottage is described as such: "With eight-foot ceilings, soft-beige walls, and a pleasing world-travel-inspired décor, guests find peace in this simple home." The cottage has very attractive heart pine floors, but is very modest compared to the more elaborate main house. Our cottage is great for small groups or extended stays as it offers several sleeping areas and a full kitchen. Our cottage pricing is based upon the large square footage and amenities offered.

Honest feedback helps us to become the best Bed & Breakfast in Rome, Georgia. Thank you for the opportunity to improve our services. We look forward to exceeding your expectations in the future.
Huntsville, Ontario
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This place was very nice, historically older but in decent condition, the room was huge lots of woodwork. The owners younger but energetic and friendly. Breakfast was great, nice quiet area of town. Front porch could use new flooring but holding together. Lots of antiques, over all a nice stay for one night. Close to downtown. parking limited.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank andypegonthego
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Family in Rome arranged for us to stay two nights in the Claremont House. Our "Yancy Room" would have lodged 4, with a tall double bed and a pull-out day-bed, and was spacious. It has its own bathroom, added onto the 1882 house in recent years. No, it isn't exactly "regulation," being down about 5 steps, though a small hallway, and with a low slant ceiling...but it works. Chris made an excellent host and breakfast chef, offering just the right amount of cordialness and not "hovering." We appreciated the use of the living room with all its vintage furniture, The unobtrusive signs around the rooms covering the history of this house and the Victorian architecture (including the huge safe in the main hall!) generally were an added bonus. We were the only guests at the time...which made it exceptionally quiet, but disappointing because I want this couple to make a go of the B&B. The only reason for not rating it "excellent" has to do with accessibility: if you require mobility accommodations, this might not be the place for you: grand stairs to the bedrooms, claw-foot tub converted to shower, and a bed high enough you might need a 2-step stool (provided!). But the ambiance and history beat any Holiday Inn!

Room Tip: Check out their website for photos of their rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends