“ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS”

Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Rising Fawn
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I've been by this restaurant numerous times and never stopped. FINALLY my husband and drove out to the Canyon Grill and we were both blown away. The food was fabulous and the service was 5 star. The outside appearance is quaint and country looking like you might get a quick burger but looks are very deceptive. The food can only be described as country with an elegant flair and absolutely so much more then you can imagine. The food was master chef quality and so delicious that I wanted to sit there and try everything.

The inside atmosphere was conducive to just sitting back to savor the wonderful smells and enjoy quality dining and service leaving the world to go without you for a bit. This place is nothing but AMAZING. It surpasses the available Excellent rating.

1  Thank Jan O

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We went here with friends on a Saturday evening of a holiday weekend. I ordered the special fried catfish with beans, and shared it, as there is plenty for two. The catfish was overcooked, making it dry; thank goodness for the bean sauce to moisten it! Others at the table had wood grilled shrimp, fried squash, fried okra and fried oysters. The oysters and catfish had too thick breading, the vegetables had been rolled in cornmeal, for a lighter touch. The restaurant is BYO for alcohol and has recently discontinued providing corkscrews, so bring your own, or hope that they still have one in the front room. We drove in from Chattenooga, and enjoyed the drive, but the destination was not worth the time, no great views and OK food. Service was fine, not very fast, but not slow either.

1  Thank ElaineMI
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We've been in the area for several years and have heard the rave reviews about the Canyon Grill, but we'd never bothered to trek up the mountain until we wanted to tour it with a visitor from NYC. If ever you've hestitated like us, wait no longer! Arriving early, we were struck by the unpretentiousness of this little place and charmed when we saw a chef walk out to the garden to fetch some fresh tomatoes. But we withheld judgement until--WOW!--the first taste of the Cioppino broth--a tomato-based delight perfectly accented with fresh herbs and supporting the freshest seafood I've had since I left my childhooh home by the ocean. The peppered fried oysters' batter was so light that the sweet little things nearly floated unassisted off the plate to my mouth. And on and on the meal went, served by a most attentive woman who, like most of the staff, had been with the restaurant for many years--a very good sign.

"INSIDER TIPS" If you're in the area, or even if you're not, GO-GO-GO! The renowned steaks are pricey, as are some other items, but there is a sufficient range of other wonderful items at affordable prices. There are specials on Wednesdays and Thursdays. The weekly menu is available online. Call ahead for priority seating, take your own wine if you are so inclined (but bring your own corkscrew or get a screw-top bottle.) Prepare for lift-off!

1  Thank mbj2
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is the 2nd time that we visited this Restaurant. Just the 2 of us, my Husband & myself. We are local folks that do not eat out often, but when we do, we expect to be treated well & with respect by the Staff. WE actually did call ahead, several days in advance to be placed on their call ahead seating list as they are very busy & @ times the wait is beyond belief. When we arrived we were shown to a cramped table, right next to the door, that customers as well as wait staff bumped into us repeatedly in the few moments we sat thee. Obviously, we asked for another table that took about 15 minutes more to happen. Why did we bother to call ahead??? While we were sitting on a bench, outside the Kitchen door that has a window in it, I took a peak into the kitchen (if they didn't want you to look they wouldn't have a window,right? This was quite a sight! There were 2 Cooks standing ankle deep in water, sloshing around in front of a grill cooking! Seriously! Shouldn't the Health Dept. know about this??? WE should have left right then, NO, we should have left after the bad table experience as we were treated as "non-important " folks . WE stayed as it was now late & we were Hungry! I will agree that the staff is overly busy. They rush around but really do not see. All by rote & we were made to feel insignificant from start to finish of our experience.
WE ordered a Humus Appetizer that had sooo much Garlic as to make it almost inedible. WE did not complain but did leave most of it untouched & no one on the Staff asked why??
For our Entree we ordered the Fire Roasted Flat Bread Pizza . It indeed WAS Fire Roasted as the bottoms were BLACK, & Burnt! Not lightly seared or pleasantly toasted, BURNT BLACK!
This time we had to call this to the attention of the Staff. Eventually when we could flag down one of the rapidly running around food runners, we were able to speak with the Manager. He informed us that that's the way they cook it & if we didn't like it, next time we should ask for SPECIAL instructions of barely toasted. NEXT TIME!! ??? & while he was speaking to us in a haughty tone & looking down his nose, he also kept looking around to see if perhaps he could tend to something else as we were not worthy of his time. Needless to say. WE certainly did not order Desert. We were already in the Hole for about $40 & we had no drinks! Terrible! Totally unacceptable! Since they are literally the only game in town, except for Geneva's(which is Wonderful!) WE certainly were very disappointed & cannot recommend The Canyon Grill again. WE also have a Cabin in the area that we used to tell our Guests to eat there! Not any more! The Success Syndrome has Struck the Canyon Grill!

4  Thank hippieprincess
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Innkeepers recommended this to us so we decided to try it (btw menu above is NOT correct). First impressions, our server was busy with two other big tables besides us and took a long time to take our food order (only 2 of us). We were sure to ask if they were out of any dishes since there meats and fish are so fresh and arrive just about on a daily basis and ordered accordingly. However, about the time we would have expected our entrees to be served, our server tells us they are out of one of our selections (understandable but very annoyed we were informed at the last hour). Also there was a leak splattering on me from the a/c above us (dripped the whole time), and when we told our server, she only replied "yes it does that sometimes". Did not offer to allow us to switch tables which was very disappointing. Rajas app was very tasty but I found my dish ( pasta with pink sauce-not what I'd originally ordered) very average and not up to standards, definitely not what I expect from a place with these prices. Overall, I was pretty disappointed in this place considering the prices for menu items. Fyi: Another pro is that the ambience is great but sadly I would not recommend.

3  Thank Ambermichele

Been to Canyon Grill? Share your experiences!