“Cosy modern pub with great food”
Review of The Walter Arms

The Walter Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Sindlesham
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Pleasantly surprised by this gastro-pub. Our friends took us there last Sunday and although we didn't plan to have a proper meal, the menu was inviting and couldn't resist to try the Thai Fish Cake, probably the best I have ever tried, even better than any standard Thai restaurant.

There are newer reviews for The Walter Arms

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Our favourite restaurant in the Wokingham area. Very clean and hospitable and looks good from ouside and in. Service efficient without being domineering. Great menu choice and quality of the food excellent. Starter, Risotto, was huge and in fact too big. Difficult to complain about anything. A great night out with good food and well looked after.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Need to book, but ask for main building otherwise you can be a bit isolated in the outside building although the service is as good.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We had heard good reports about this restaurant and we were not disappointed. There is ample parking both in-front and behind the restaurant. The waiters were attentive and friendly and the menu was wide ranging with pasta, pizza, salads and meat/fish dishes. The starter of scallops and black pudding was delicious and the main course of pork was attractive and filling. Everyone in our group enjoyed their main courses of steak, salmon salad, pasta, calves liver and lamb. Only the men had room for a pudding but they reported that the chocolate toffee pudding, malteser cheesecake and bakewell tart were very good. We would recommend this restaurant . Our only comment was it took ages for the waiter to take the money once we had the bill but they probably thought we were happy chatting.

1  Thank Sheilambutcher
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I don't normally write restaurant reviews but was so disappointed with our last visit to this restaurant that I felt I had to. Let me start by saying I have always been an advocate for this place and have recommended it to lots of people, however I won't be doing so any more. I have no complaints about the service but just the miniscule portions we were given on this particular evening.

The complimentary bread and olives are no more, we were told you now have to pay if you want bread. Not a big thing but just a little nicety that has now gone. Myself and one other ordered the salt and pepper squid to start with which at £ 7.25 is not exactly a small price tag, however no-one else on the table could tell what we had ordered as it just looked like a heap of greens - where was the squid, I don't know ? All we could see was what looked like thin shavings of batter buried amongst the greens. I actually couldn't believe what I was seeing and it tasted of absolutely nothing. For my main course I had swordfish which to be fair tasted very nice, but everyone commented on what a pathetic portion I was given, it was half the size of an average portion cut in two to make it appear bigger than it really was and this cost around £ 15-£16 ! We shared a cheese board between 4 of us which I think cost around £ 16 and was very sparse. To top it all off I ordered a port at the end of the meal which the waitress said came as a double measure. She volunteered this information, I didn't ask. To me a measure of port is not the same as a measure of a spirit which is what it looked like I was given, just a drop in the bottom of a glass. The portions may have been small but the bill certainly wasn't which with wine and one liqueur each (but no desserts !) came to £ 180 !!!

I am so disappointed with the whole experience as this was my favourite restaurant. We are not greedy pigs who expect huge portions, we have always been happy up until now. What has happened ? The restaurant was full, are the management just getting greedy. I am sorry but none of us will be back and it won't take long for others to follow suit.