“Something a bit different as it's an independent” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Walter Arms

The Walter Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Walter Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Sindlesham
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Something a bit different as it's an independent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Need to book, but ask for main building otherwise you can be a bit isolated in the outside building although the service is as good.

Berkshire, United Kingdom
“A busy restaurant with a wide ranging menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We had heard good reports about this restaurant and we were not disappointed. There is ample parking both in-front and behind the restaurant. The waiters were attentive and friendly and the menu was wide ranging with pasta, pizza, salads and meat/fish dishes. The starter of scallops and black pudding was delicious and the main course of pork was attractive and filling. Everyone in our group enjoyed their main courses of steak, salmon salad, pasta, calves liver and lamb. Only the men had room for a pudding but they reported that the chocolate toffee pudding, malteser cheesecake and bakewell tart were very good. We would recommend this restaurant . Our only comment was it took ages for the waiter to take the money once we had the bill but they probably thought we were happy chatting.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sheilambutcher
Reading
“Used to love it, but now .... disappointing !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

I don't normally write restaurant reviews but was so disappointed with our last visit to this restaurant that I felt I had to. Let me start by saying I have always been an advocate for this place and have recommended it to lots of people, however I won't be doing so any more. I have no complaints about the service but just the miniscule portions we were given on this particular evening.

The complimentary bread and olives are no more, we were told you now have to pay if you want bread. Not a big thing but just a little nicety that has now gone. Myself and one other ordered the salt and pepper squid to start with which at £ 7.25 is not exactly a small price tag, however no-one else on the table could tell what we had ordered as it just looked like a heap of greens - where was the squid, I don't know ? All we could see was what looked like thin shavings of batter buried amongst the greens. I actually couldn't believe what I was seeing and it tasted of absolutely nothing. For my main course I had swordfish which to be fair tasted very nice, but everyone commented on what a pathetic portion I was given, it was half the size of an average portion cut in two to make it appear bigger than it really was and this cost around £ 15-£16 ! We shared a cheese board between 4 of us which I think cost around £ 16 and was very sparse. To top it all off I ordered a port at the end of the meal which the waitress said came as a double measure. She volunteered this information, I didn't ask. To me a measure of port is not the same as a measure of a spirit which is what it looked like I was given, just a drop in the bottom of a glass. The portions may have been small but the bill certainly wasn't which with wine and one liqueur each (but no desserts !) came to £ 180 !!!

I am so disappointed with the whole experience as this was my favourite restaurant. We are not greedy pigs who expect huge portions, we have always been happy up until now. What has happened ? The restaurant was full, are the management just getting greedy. I am sorry but none of us will be back and it won't take long for others to follow suit.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
“Our Favourite Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Over the last few years we have visited The Walter Arms regularly, and never had a bad meal. The menu should please anyone. We particularly like the Seafood platter or assiette of Oriental appetisers to start. My husband is a fishaholic so will usually go for something like the sea bass, and fish is something they do particularly well. What else to say - good location, pleasant decor, nice staff, all together very good! We never get bored of visiting. Regularly taken our grown up children and various friends and they've all loved it too.

• Visited March 2013
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“Great restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I go to the Walters Arms restaurant quite regularly and i have never had a bad experience. The meals are always well prepared and you are served with good sized portions. Staff are very attentive and polite.
Take a look at their online website to check out the menu/price. You can also use their online booking service which is what i generally use and the staff promptly confirm acceptance for peace of mind.
Highly recommend.